hooking up a sub to 4800a

kedoades

hooking up a sub to 4800a
« on: 4 Aug 2015, 05:32 pm »
  I would like to hook a sub up to my dac. 4800a.  I can't find a manual so I that I would ask here.  I recall reading that it was not safe to hook a sub on the same speaker inputs as the main speakers.  Can someone let me know if this is safe to do.  Thanks for your time.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: hooking up a sub to 4800a
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2015, 05:20 pm »
Just curious, where did you read that it's "not safe to hook a sub on the same speaker inputs as the main speakers"?  Some context might help, but I'll take a shot at answering for the two most common concerns....

When the same source is used to drive both the amps for the main speakers and an amplified sub (line level input), that is safe.  In this case, the main speakers are being driven with the same bass as the sub, so you're not getting the advantage of saving on excursion in the main speakers.

If you're talking about driving a sub input with speaker level outputs, the speaker level inputs of some subs aren't differential, so they connect the negative speaker terminals (of the two channels) together internally.  If your amps have "bridged" (differential) outputs, this will potentially damage the amps or sub.  Many high performance amps have differential outputs these days.  However, there are well designed subs out there with dual-isolated or differential speaker level inputs that handle any amp outputs just fine.

The DAC4800A has non-bridged outputs, so it should work with any sub's speaker level input while it drives the main speakers through the sub.  One last "however"....  You'll get better significantly performance with ACTIVE crossovers no matter what amplifier you use for the mains.

-Tommy O

kedoades

Re: hooking up a sub to 4800a
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2015, 06:45 pm »
  Thanks for answering my question.  I am not sure were I read this but I just wanted to make sure.  I now have it hooked up thru my preamp and it sounds really good.  I wanted to keep the main speakers at full bass and have the sub for that extra thump that the speakers didn't have.  As I have said before the 4800a is a giant killer as far as amps are concerned and I for sure didn't want to damage it.