Anybody hear Grant DAC-11 or the other ESS Sabre model???

michaelv

Re: Anybody hear Grant DAC-11 or the other ESS Sabre model???
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jan 2012, 10:09 pm »
i see. Both D-18 and DAC-1 are out of my reach.
In compare to Emotiva XDA-1,  what's your opinion?
thanks.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #21 on: 16 Jan 2012, 03:16 pm »

When comparing (features anyway), you should probably be comparing the Yulong D-18 with the Wyred4Sound DAC-1 ($999), while noting that the DAC-1 has some features the D-18 does not have: a 24/96 asynchronous USB input, an LCD display for sample rate, a 3 year warranty and is made in USA.

The Wyred4Sound DAC-2 ($1499) adds 24/192 asynchronous USB input, AES/EBU and I2S inputs, remote control, HT Bypass inputs selectable via DC trigger and upgraded power supply filter capacitance.

Steve
i see. Both D-18 and DAC-1 are out of my reach.
In compare to Emotiva XDA-1,  what's your opinion?
thanks.

And the W4S DACs are way outside of the province of Cheap and Cheerful as well.  I have not heard the Emotiva DAC, but the general consensus online is pretty consistent, nothing earthshaking, but worth the money, especially at the current discounted price.  They will be having a new model coming out soon. 

brother love

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jan 2012, 10:54 pm »
Thanks for all the great feedback so far!  I just ordered this "swiss army knife" TubeDAC-11 w/ a silver faceplate.  Will report back after receipt & burn-in ...

gooberdude

« Reply #23 on: 2 Feb 2012, 04:39 am »
Received a black GF dac-11 yesterday, so far so good.  I always plug the hagerman Frybaby into all new equipment, cables, etc, and didn't get to hear the dac-11 right out of the box.  Its been cooking about 20 hrs now & I can't complain about sound quality, dynamics, imaging or anything...especially for $325 shipped.

It might not be able to go head to head with my Tranquility + Warpspeed LDR combo, but as a backup component & 2nd dac for non-critical sources (cable tv, ps3, etc) i couldn't be happier.

Totally unexpected, but yesterday i missed a call from rachel at GF.  I've never ordered from them, but she wanted to be sure it was delivered, as DHL had reported delivery to them. 

Mine arrived set to 220V, and luckily GF sends instructions.  #1 on the list is to be certain its set to 110V.  I luv instructions! so rare in this hobby.  the dac also comes with numerous cords & allen wrench.

matt

mickster1972

« Reply #24 on: 2 Feb 2012, 07:08 am »
Have had the TubeDAC-11 for about a week now. Silver faceplate. Still breaking in I suppose but I am enjoying it so far as a headphone amp (using the RCA Tube Out converted to a headphone jack thanks to some Radio Shack RCA to headphone cables and a female to female headphone coupler). Plan to use the TubeDac-11 with my Class D Audio 250W DIY amp once it is assembled. Will report my findings after more time and more power.

brother love

« Reply #25 on: 2 Feb 2012, 11:34 am »
Received my silver faceplate TubeDAC-11 yesterday evening 4 business days after placing order ... from Hong Kong! (website says 5-7 business days).  Only problem is my longer length USB cable ordered from Amazon the same day hasn't arrived yet. :lol:

I connected DAC-11 to Virtue Audio Sensation amp & Oppo 83SE & utilized tube out of DAC-11 while watching a DVD last night. Burn-in has begun!  I'll report back after a few days run time & USB cable is hooked-up to iMac for auditioning. Oh, pics to follow as well.  :icon_twisted:

brother love

« Reply #26 on: 2 Feb 2012, 06:04 pm »
Silver faceplate Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11.  Cute little bugger ...

jackman

« Reply #27 on: 2 Feb 2012, 08:09 pm »
WFS is coming out with a mini dac that uses the ESS Sabre chip soon.  Haven't seen any reviews but it's on their website.  They also have a really nice looking intesgrated with a built in DAC that looks interesting.  Too many choices!

raysracing

« Reply #28 on: 2 Feb 2012, 09:10 pm »
Sadly I am a one piece of equipment at a time kind of a guy due to my budget. I own a Cambridge DAC Magic and it moves between three stereo systems (office, HT and basement).

I am very happy with it, but find all my systems sound bright and I am not that huge of a lover of bright sounding systems. Probably a cause of the relatively inexpensive equipment I own.

I really want to hear the tube sound in my own home and this seems the most flexible and inexpensive way to try it. I have to sell my DAC Magic to buy the Grant.

Only other alternative right now are some tube buffers I have seen on ebay as DIY and built for $65 to $200.

Any thoughts on a tube buffer with my DAC Magic versus the Grant DAC-11?

TIA,
Ray

srb

« Reply #29 on: 2 Feb 2012, 09:26 pm »

One thought is that the DacMagic sells for $429 new ($599 for the DacMagic Plus), so it is probably not too hard to sell for $295, and the GF TubeDAC-11 can be bought for $325.

Unless you want an extra box with an extra pair of antennae interconnects.

Steve

raysracing

« Reply #30 on: 2 Feb 2012, 09:30 pm »
Steve,

I worry about selling a $429 proven DAC for a less expensive unit, but what is price anyways.  Nice that I can sell my DAC Magic for the price of a new Grant though. Problem is if my DAC Magic isnt as bright sounding as I think it is then what a waste!

Ray

raysracing

« Reply #31 on: 3 Feb 2012, 01:29 am »
Here is a buffer that might make more sense than selling a perfectly good DAC for somethng i cannot demo. Musical Fidelity X-10d . But I dont see it on their website anymore.

Any thoughts?

http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/873/index.html

gooberdude

« Reply #32 on: 3 Feb 2012, 01:59 am »
raysracing,

If you havent spent too much $ on this hobby yet, i'd recommend treating a room with acoustic treatments before the gear switching merry-go-round gets you depressed.

I own mainly mid-fi gear, and its never bright...but my room is.  Cheaper gear is often truncated, or lacking in dynamics & bandwidth.

I'd look elsewhere to fix the bright issue is all i'm saying, that way you can appreciate & take full advantage of better gear once time, interest & $ allows it. 

matt

maxwalrath

« Reply #33 on: 3 Feb 2012, 02:07 am »
raysracing,

If you havent spent too much $ on this hobby yet, i'd recommend treating a room with acoustic treatments before the gear switching merry-go-round gets you depressed.

I'm sitting in an untreated listening room (only because I may move soon), but I've seen this advice over and over again and believe it.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #34 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:18 am »
Only other alternative right now are some tube buffers I have seen on ebay as DIY and built for $65 to $200.

I've got a tube buffer that is sitting unused since I replaced it with a more expensive unit.  It does give a tube warmth to bass and mids.  $75.  Can't try tubes out much cheaper.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #35 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:34 am »

Yes, but now I can't get the room treatment right and keep switching that around.   :duh:

I'm so depressed.

raysracing

« Reply #36 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:53 am »
Just so happens my basement and now my HT have acoustic treatments in the form of bass traps and acoustical sheets (in basement where our band practices). YOu are right both systems sound better with the treatments. All done in the last few weeks. YOu can count on me always having the most bang for the buck things. More to come as I am getting advise (and some seconds) from audimutesoundproofing.com which is in my home town and have started to make the frames for 6 bass traps (48x24x4").

I cant finish the traps right now because I dont want to do them on my basement where the fiberglass will go everywhere (clothes, washing machines, furnace, etc.). Amazingly the cardboard shipping boxes the 703 are in, one end open in my listening room works. Makes contra bass strings  ring and thump you in the chest with low power and BA A70 speakers (no sub).

charmerci

« Reply #37 on: 3 Feb 2012, 07:56 pm »
I personally haven't heard the Cambridge DAC but I have found in the past that Cambridge stereo equipment is not bright or harsh. What's your other equipment? Could be something else.

gooberdude

« Reply #38 on: 4 Feb 2012, 12:14 am »
You're on the right path.  Leave no stone unturned though.

My last 2 condos have had solid concrete floors, whether bare & exposed (now) or carpeted w/pad.  Both situations are toxic to the sound.  If your speakers or gear is touching or spiked to concrete, the sound goes bright & thinner.

I like the spdif input on the dac-11 much more than toslink.  Until this week i've only used usb for digital audio, still a virgin.  the spdif might just have more gain, but it sounds way less relaxed than optical. 

wushuliu

« Reply #39 on: 4 Feb 2012, 12:18 am »
Steve,

I worry about selling a $429 proven DAC for a less expensive unit, but what is price anyways.  Nice that I can sell my DAC Magic for the price of a new Grant though. Problem is if my DAC Magic isnt as bright sounding as I think it is then what a waste!

Ray

From all the feedback I have read regarding the DacMagic over the past few years, it's consistently referred to as bright or as sounding 'digital' in the top end. I've always avoided it for that reason. Just google 'DacMagic bright'...