Bluesound Node 2 vs CD player

mmurt

Bluesound Node 2 vs CD player
« on: 21 Feb 2018, 10:57 pm »
All, Could use some opinions on the sound quality of the Bluesound products.  My system consists of AVA Fet Valve amp and pre-amp, Tyler Acoustics Lindbrook signature system speakers.  My main listening is thru my 20+ year old Sony ES 200 disc CD player and for critical I listening through my Modwright Sony 9100 player. Most of the time it's hit shuffle on the Sony and play. 
I really like Spotify now as I'm not buying much music but need to have way more variety.  How do you think the sound quality will compare wireless streaming Spotify Premium through the Node 2 compared to the Sony 200 disc player.  Do you think to get comparable sound I would need an additional DAC?  I've streamed via Bluetooth and it sounded just OK.  One caveat, I'm not into computers and tech, doesn't really interest me and I don't like to spend my free time in front of a screen, thus I'm not up on the latest computer audio.  I read the posts with all of the acronyms and it's over my head.  Lastly I'm also considering the Bluesound Vault 2 as I like the ability to use one device to rip, store and stream.  Thanks everyone!

GerryD

Re: Bluesound Node 2 vs CD player
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2018, 01:18 am »
I find that streaming from my Node 2 is quite comparable to playing a CD in my Marantz 8005 CDP. Streaming Spotify Premium was good, but Tidal is better. I could live with either streaming service, but will probably stick with Tidal HIFI when my free trial is up.

mmurt

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2018, 04:46 pm »
Thanks Gerry. 

bakalovb

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2018, 05:50 pm »
I agree that Tidal is not only better, but the best. BS node 2 has a pretty good DAC, particularly for MQA via Tidal. It needs good power cable. If you prefer to use CDP as a DAC, find a good digital cable. The support from Bluesound is pretty good too.

bakalovb

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2018, 05:55 pm »
I would recommend Ice age Audio, contact them directly via phone or email, Rick was very helpful for me. Unfortunately, they have power cords only. 

bakalovb

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2018, 05:58 pm »
Oh, I forgot to tell, I'm using MQA the analog outputs, for non-mqa streaming I alternate between two DAC - one R2R (Soekris) and one  Sabre (Anedio D2 via W4Sound reclocker)

bakalovb

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2018, 06:04 pm »
This is my budget system, but is pretty good. My reference one is with PS audio Direct stream DAC and is amazing

mmurt

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2018, 05:37 pm »
Thanks guys, probably going to give the Bluesound a try and also sign up for a trial of Tidal.