Tire Rack tires?

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Tire Rack tires?
« on: 12 Nov 2016, 06:03 pm »
I've always used a local tire dealership for my tires. However his cost for purchase and installation for my new Continental True Contacts would be $300 More than the TireRack cost including the cost of having one of their recommended installers (PepBoys) mount and balance the tires. Any reason why I shouldn't go with Tire Rack?

Thanks as always,
Lester

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Tire Rack tires?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2016, 06:11 pm »
Use Tire Rack to research for years but finally ordered from them a year ago and used one of their local installers (that I'd never used before).  No problem.  Savings varied depending on which local dealer I looked at, up to $300 for set of 4 tires on two cars.  I also looked at them this year for winter tires, but when remounting or wheels and pressure sensors were considered, the savings just weren't there, so I'm going with a brand (Nokian) from a local dealer that they don't sell. 

ZAKski288

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2016, 06:53 pm »
Just had some Continental True Contacts installed at Tire Rack last Wednesday,  they charged me $15.00 a tire (mount , balance, install, dispose of old tires ) they have  been great to work with, and yes I live 10 min from there HUGE complex in South Bend IN. I been using them for years. Zak

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2016, 06:57 pm »
I have a late model Corvette and participate at the Corvette forums. Many members there use them. I assume there is a big savings because the Corvette uses two different size tires and some sizes are limited in selection? My concern would be who installs them.

JLM

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2016, 07:35 pm »
You can always buy from Tire Rack and have them ship to you, so you can use your chosen installer.  Generally speaking, with the low overhead and large volume involved, they are cheaper.  For me, Blizzak winter tires from Tire Rack was $83 cheaper than buying locally. 

In the case of winter tires you have two options: use your own wheels/pressure sensors and remount twice yearly; or buy extra steel wheels/pressure sensors and just swap twice yearly (plus with care you can down size the wheel/tire size to save some money).  In my case it would be $400 more to go with the second option, but $80/year cheaper (plus my labor to do the swaps).  One of my local dealers had steel wheels/pressure sensors, the other didn't have steel wheels.

MarkR7

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2016, 07:59 pm »
I have used them exclusively for all my tires over the last 10 years or so. Never any problems! Recommended!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2016, 01:56 am »
I've used Tire Rack in the past with no issues, but I have a local guy who beats their prices by a noticeable margin.  He's always packed with customers, both passenger and commercial vehicles.  In other places I've lived I've found their prices to be hit or miss, sometimes a little lower, sometimes higher than the local discount shops.

kgturner

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2016, 02:14 am »
I found Tirebuyer.com to have better prices, but I guess it all just depends on the tire, installer, & location.

Kevin T

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2016, 02:47 am »
I've ordered from TireRack a few times, delivered to my local installer who has good Hunter tire install and balance machines. Always a good experience.

drphoto

« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2016, 03:51 am »
I've never bought from them, but where I'm going to order my next set. They just have more options than local dealers, and the price is lower if they have same product, by quite a bit.

I'm looking at Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my VW and most local dealers don't stock in 225/40-18. And if they did, the modest shipping fee from TR is still less than the 6% sales tax here.

They definitely seem like a totally legit company. Tons of customers.

As posted in another thread, I'm looking to try autocross next season. If I end up loving it and want to compete, I may get a set of racing tires and rims. Could get all for around $800 from TR, mounted and balanced. While still not chump change, that's not too shabby.

Dammit, why do I always pick expensive hobbies? Audio, guitars, and now cars. Maybe I need to try needlepoint or some crap  like that. :)

nature boy

« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2016, 08:03 pm »
I've purchased several sets from Tire Rack.  Nothing but exceptional service and quick delivery of quality tires.  Great selection, low prices, and a solid installer network.  Make sure to check installer reviews, I have a great one. Good luck.

NB

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2017, 07:36 pm »
I have used Tire Rack for over 15 years.
Even when they suggested a set of Winter tires (235/40/18) which my dealer would not install (not XL load rated) Tire Rack took them back and refunded 100% including shipping (their error for saying the tires were correct for the car.) Replaced with other same size different brand but also XL rated from Tire Rack.
My 2014 Focus ST requires XL load rated tires.. (I would guess for cornering like a madman? ahh yeah I do LOL)

So yeah, I am happy with Tire Rack.
The main beauty of Tire Rack are the reviews and search functions.
Anything and everything you want to know.. Tire Rack!
« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2017, 10:43 pm by Elizabeth »

screener

« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2017, 11:56 pm »
Found a great set of rims discounted with free shipping a few years back. Sent me the wrong lugs then credited me $20 per rim.

twitch54

« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2017, 12:19 am »
You can always buy from Tire Rack and have them ship to you, so you can use your chosen installer.  Generally speaking, with the low overhead and large volume involved, they are cheaper.  For me, Blizzak winter tires from Tire Rack was $83 cheaper than buying locally. 

In the case of winter tires you have two options: use your own wheels/pressure sensors and remount twice yearly; or buy extra steel wheels/pressure sensors and just swap twice yearly (plus with care you can down size the wheel/tire size to save some money).  In my case it would be $400 more to go with the second option, but $80/year cheaper (plus my labor to do the swaps).  One of my local dealers had steel wheels/pressure sensors, the other didn't have steel wheels.

or don't worry about the stupid TPMS sensors !

as for Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct, used both never an issue.

JLM

« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2017, 01:33 am »
Was told that running the car without tire pressure sensors would somehow cause problems for the car's computer.   :?

rpf

« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2017, 01:37 am »
I used them last year for a set of Pirelli P7s. Price was a bit better and service was good.

putz

« Reply #16 on: 3 Feb 2017, 05:19 am »
I've used Tire Rack for research and made a few purchases from them. Lately I've been buying from Discount Tire Direct. The trick is to wait for a holiday and check for rebates from both DTD and the manufacturer. I also got their credit card for an additional rebate. On Black Friday, I got 4 Continentals with $160 in rebates from DTD and another $70 from Conti. DTD also ships for free. Tire Rack is about $40-50 for a set of 4 tires.

Philistine

« Reply #17 on: 3 Feb 2017, 12:17 pm »
I bought winter tires, Blizzacks, ready mounted on steel rims from Tire Rack - service great and best price combo I found.

I also had TPMS installed - can't see any rationale behind not having a device that can improve fuel performance and safety  :scratch:

JLM

« Reply #18 on: 3 Feb 2017, 12:34 pm »
I also had TPMS installed - can't see any rationale behind not having a device that can improve fuel performance and safety  :scratch:

Cost is a consideration for me ($250/four which have batteries that must eventually be replaced).  Old farts remember driving without seat belts, air bags, ABS, traction control, side impact reinforcement, automatic cruise, automatic braking, back-up cameras, etc.  We also remember to carry a tire pressure gauge and routinely checking the pressures (including the spare). 

Philistine

« Reply #19 on: 3 Feb 2017, 12:52 pm »
Some States now require functional TPMS to pass inspection when installed as original equipment.  Where it's not required then it's a personal choice to use it or not, expensive as it is I put value on the potential benefits it brings - it's a free choice.  When they're described as 'stupid' there needs to be a balanced view....