Finally got dream car (mostly)

drphoto

Finally got dream car (mostly)
« on: 22 Jul 2016, 01:26 am »
Well I guess real dream car would be an M3, but I'm not made of money. Got a mint '12 (Mk6) Golf Sportwagen. Yep even after the VW fiasco, although mine is the 2.5L gasser. I would have actually gone for the TDI, thinking I could steal one, and they're great motors in other ways.

I think VW builds terrific cars now, even with all the noise and lawsuits. Yes, they had some quality issues back w/ the Mk4's but have really stepped it up.

This car has the interior fit and finish of an Audi. Ok it's light on techno wiz features, but I don't care. I don't want to use phone in car. That's my time. Some of best seats I've ever tried.

It makes me smile ever time I drive it. The handling is fantastic. Will get even better when I install the box of factory approved sport springs and shock. It's no rocket off the line but it will flat out rip up corners. I can hang with a WRX or pretty much any mid level sporty car in that arena. :lol: But I can still haul all of my photo gear.

Oh.....the sound system sort of blows, but I'm not gonna upgrade, as that's a financial black hole.

cheers

goskers

Re: Finally got dream car (mostly)
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2016, 01:37 am »
Nice.  Have been looking at VW lately.

It would be very appropriate if you attached a pic of two;)

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2016, 01:59 am »
sure, soon as I figure out how, been away for a long time from site. I'm a pro photographer but haven't shot any other than phone snaps. Got pretty nice one from dealer

wilsynet

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2016, 04:01 am »
I like wagons and I own a VW myself, but the Golf Sportwagen cannot "hang" with a WRX.

How fast is a Golf Sportwagen?  It has a 0-60 time of about 8.4 seconds.  The WRX?  About 5.0 seconds.  If you're hanging with a WRX, it's because the driver isn't trying very hard.

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2016, 04:06 am »
 didn't say fast in a straight line. we were even in corner and then he smoked me in the straight. ok? I think I pissed him off when he saw what he thought was mommy car right there  beside on the freeway ramp at like, I dunno 65 mph or so?? So I mean I can hang with them on handling.

Motor has some decent torque. you can easily spin tires off line and it will occasionally torque steer when you hit second in sport or manual shift. (yes I have to make do with the lowly tiptronic tranny. No fancy DSG or 6 speed for those who go gas motor) At least this power train is considered fairly bullet proof and requires very little service. No timing belt change, no 40K tranny fluid flush, etc......

Yeah, even if I get a cold air kit, a cat back and an ECM flash, I be lucky to run 190 hp. may drop 0-60 by maybe a second. It's not a sports car. But it handles way better than a wagon should. I'd rather flog a twisty back road anyway than go super fast. There is no way I'm going to try to add turbo, way too much money and motor not built for it. Hell, just get a Gti or Golf R if wanna street race.

When I install  those DG/Eibach springs and Koni sports should be even better and look mean, sitting an inch lower.

I work in a trauma center right now, as I'm helping out & taking a leave from photo work & I see enough idiots crashing their cars.

BTW: my car came with dealer installed factory 18" wheels (goal style for you VW fans) which means 40 series tires. These are Goodyear/Dunlop. and may contribute to some of the handling prowess. They're all season tires, but they suck in snow.....I mean zero traction. However they do well on wet or dry pavement. They are don't seem to wear excessively despite my heavy hand, but noisy and man do you feel every road shock.

drphoto

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2016, 05:07 am »
Ok, I will admit, WRX boy probably could take me in a corner too if really wanted.

I love the WRX, but they dropped the hatch for the states, because US buyers are idiots, who want sedans or SUV/crossovers.

But I think the subies have crappy ass interiors.

I'll take my lesser VW with it's subtle but refined german (but yes mexican built) styling any day.

And if I get smoked by a kid in street racer, I'll just see him later in my ER.  :duh:

And did not mean to offend Subie owners. The WRX has it's charms. But I just like the the VW interiors. That was sorta a make or break thing for me.

I love the Focus/Fiesta ST's. Riot to drive, but I hate the interiors on those too. Just way to cluttered dash.I gotta live with this thing as daily driver.

If and when I can have a second 'real' sports car, I'll find a trashed early Mazda Mx5 Miata and build a track special.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2016, 06:20 am by drphoto »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2016, 07:06 am »
Congrats on getting your (mostly) dream car.

While I have your dream car (a 2009 Space Gray M3), I still haven't snagged my dream car -  Porsche 911 Turbo S.

That would not only fulfill a life long dream, it would complete my German car journey:

VW GTI -> Audi S4 Avant -> BMW 335 and M3 -> Porsche 911 Turbo S

Enjoy the car.

George

wilsynet

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2016, 07:12 am »
I would definitely take a VW Sportwagen over a WRX.  Not 10 years ago, but certainly now.

Guy 13

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2016, 09:16 am »
Hi drphoto,
I am glad for you that you finally got your (Mostly) dream car.  :thumb:
My dream car, which by the way, is the most beautifull car in the whole world,
the most beautifull car ever produced is a Ford Thunderbird 1963 (White or red)
But, that's according to me.

Guy 13

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2016, 12:25 pm »
Never having been a real car nut, I'm still embarrassed to admit my favorite car was our 2001 Toyota Sienna.  It was economical (just routine service and tires for 256,000 miles), averaged 25 mpg, had good hauling capacity (including a trailer and roof rack), and was supremely comfortable with the chair-like seating.  IMO the most handsome mini-van ever.

drphoto

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2016, 02:09 pm »
Hey, JLM, I hear you loud and clear. I drove a Town & Country van that I bought for cash for the past 6 or 7 years. I got it when my father was still alive, and was easier to get him in and out of that, than the SUV I had before. It was a great vehicle. I could haul a ton of crap. Way better than my Trooper SUV for that, was more comfortable, a pretty decent Infinity sound system,  better milage than truck (still sucked)  and I clocked 250K mi w/ just normal replacement parts. I still have it and plan to keep for winter use and to haul stuff.

But I got a new car for 2 reasons, 1) I'm a commercial photographer. Image is all, I can't take out a client or roll up to a shoot at a multimillion dollar property (do a lot of hi end architecture projects) in some hoopty van. Now granted a wagon is not considered cool, but it's a sharp car and people will just right it off as the quirky artist thing.

2) It's just damn fun to drive. The van was great...... but good god it bored me to death. Driving was a chore.

orthobiz

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2016, 02:19 pm »
I'm still loving my Rising Blue 2012 Golf R. I'm a VW guy at heart.

Paul

drphoto

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2016, 03:11 pm »
Golf R......be still my beating heart. That might rival my choice of M3 as ultimate. I'm a simple guy. I'f I won the lotto (which I don't play.....i've had 2 classes in statistics along the way!) I would not buy a Lambo, or any other super car. I might be temped by a Tesla, as I think Elon Musk is just a modern day genius. (even with all the blunders and stuff) I'd admire someone who is trying to change the world. I could be wrong (often am) but I think his heart is in the right place.

As I tend to do, I've turned this into one long ramble, but yeah.....I'm a  VW guy.

I think one thing they've screwed up on big time (no not TDI) is how they spec the MK7. If you want a stick in the wagon, you have to go for the base model. But it no longer comes std with heated seats (gods.... meaning engineers......little gift to mere mortals are heated seats) But you can't option them in! Or get any fun goodies like HID lights, then you have to move up in trims and only get the tiptoe tranny. Way too much focus on cost savings I'm afraid. But the MQB platform is supposed to be 'all that'. However, I personally like the styling of my Mk6. I like the rounded bits more than the current angular style.

I think VW lost their way when they set their sights on beating Toyota in global sales. They gotta realize, they are essentially a niche car company. They build near luxury cars for the few who get it. Or may be happy with just that and don't need a big brand name badge on their car to ensure their sense of self worth.

It's funny, at the hospital, you see a lot of first year residents driving GTI's. Then the higher ups move on to their Audi or BMW, etc

crap, I'm rambling again....sorry.

*Scotty*

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2016, 03:19 pm »
drphoto, you might want to confirm that those DG/Eibach springs are fixed rate springs rather than a variable rate spring. The variable rate springs are never the same twice during cornering, due corner entry speed, line chosen and corner radius, among other factors. As result you can't learn the car's handling characteristics and post a consistent lap time due to the handling variability.
 They were experimented with by Formula One back in the 60s and discarded for the aforementioned reasons.
If Koni makes shocks featuring adjustable rebound and compression for your car, go for them, they are the cat's meow and allow you to dial the car's suspension in precisely.
When you are done with the car's suspension mods watch out for expansion joints and dimes in the middle of the road they are going to be killers.
Scotty

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2016, 03:22 pm »
Congrats drphoto!

I had a few VWs, 79 Rabbit, 84 GTI, 98 Jetta K2. All of them were great fun and reliable. I got to drive a lot of VWs even a vanagon in 1990 when I worked as a lot boy for Berge VW in Culver City CA. I LOVE the look of the mk7 Golf Sportwagen, even prettier than the new Golf imho, beautiful lines!  The mk6 is a pretty car too, that's for sure!

My dream car would also be Porsche, but the newer Porsches have less appeal to me, although last year's boxster was gorgeous. I'd like a '89 911 coupe, and/or a '65 365C coupe. I love watching 911 engine rebuilds on yootoob.  I recently got my wife's hand me down '08 328, it's more a luxury car but it drives great - big change from my old Odyssey van.  :thumb: 

Guy13, my grandfather had one of those convertible TBirds, all white. I remember riding in it in 1969 or so when I was 5yo. My 3yo little sister snuck out of the house, climbed in and put it into neutral, rolling slowly back into the middle of the parking lot.  :lol:

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jul 2016, 04:05 pm »
Congratulations drphoto, and willkommen to the wagen mafia.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 22 Jul 2016, 04:10 pm »
I'm still loving my Rising Blue 2012 Golf R. I'm a VW guy at heart.

Paul

While the M3 is clearly the "best" car I have owned, my 1999 Silver Reflex GTI (first new car I ever bought) will always have a very special place in my heart.

I would love to get a Golf R as a winter car, but its price is way up there and I am not too keen on a used Golf R.

George

drphoto

« Reply #17 on: 22 Jul 2016, 05:08 pm »
Ummm.. great post KEEP it coming folks. fun. Scotty, yes I specd linear springs, just like factory. Hey, I can do homework. :scratch:

TomS

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jul 2016, 05:21 pm »
I had a new '10 Sportwagen TDI for a couple years. Really loved the car functionally, brought great driving pleasure, generally trouble free, good mileage (though it cheated!), low cost to own. I actually had good dealer service, unlike most. Being in NE Indiana I put 4 winter wheels/tires on it and had no issues getting around.

Unfortunately, that little bit about the intercooler being mounted low enough to ingest water and/or melting snow/ice directly to the intake was a fatal flaw (hydro-locking). It took them many months to even admit, much less devise a fix. Just plain stupid engineering. After ~10months back and forth, I dumped it for an Audi A4 Avant S-Line 2.0t, which was essentially the same car, a gasser, all gussied up for Audi.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #19 on: 22 Jul 2016, 05:35 pm »
Maybe my definition of "dream car is different then others, but most of those are no dream cars; VW's are everyday cars. I'm actually considering getting a Golf GTI as my next car if they still make it then. It's not a dream car. I thought I saw a Golf the other day but it was a Kia since all modern cars look like each other.

A dream car is a Koenigsegg, McLaren, or Ford GT. It has to be fast, expensive, and looks the part.