Taking the leap of faith

liddown

Taking the leap of faith
« on: 11 Sep 2012, 08:03 pm »
Or maybe I should say taking the leap of technology...

Order placed today for an Off Ramp 5 with Turbo, and Hynes for the HDMI, along with a Short Block. It has been a long road of reading to end up in placing this order. In the long run the ability to use I2S out of the OF5 into my W4S DAC2 seemed to be the best path to take, and seemed to be a better looking forward technology path than SPDIF.

I guess in the end we will see if this leads to better sound in my system. I have a MAC based server, and have found Audirvana Plus to provide the iTunes integration with the best stability and sound. I have had a two year love hate relationship with Pure Music, great sound, but buggy, nothing better when you have a group of people over and PM starts acting up out of the blue.

The OR5 /short block will be in a system with W4S DAC2, dedicated MAC, Primaluna Dialogue Three, B&W 800-D2, Plinius SA-250 MkIV (with new signature upgrade) AQ interconnects, and a REL R-528. Of course dedicated 240V for the Plinius, and dedicated 120V for the front end pieces, and a dedicated 120V for the Rel.

Now the waiting starts......

brettjm

Re: Taking the leap of faith
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2012, 02:13 am »
I just upgraded to the OR5 from an OR3 and I can assure that you will not be disappointed. Steve isn't getting nearly enough recognition for the cutting edge tech in these units and the amazing resolving ability they have with regards to timing and musicality.

jimiles

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2012, 01:28 am »
You'll really dig it  :thumb:  I upgraded from an Pace Car 3 to the Off Ramp 5 and couldn't be happier.  Let me know what you think about the short block.  I think that's the next little upgrade for me.

BTW, your Plinius SA-250 Mk IV is my all-time number one aspirational amplifier! 8)

liddown

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2012, 06:32 pm »
Thanks Brett and jimiles... A few weeks to go before I can start the fun.. This will give me sometime to play with some NOS tubes :-)

jimiles, The SA-250 is a great amp that has been with me since the late 90's. The designer of the amp has a new signature upgrade for the 250, that refreshes the amp and takes it to a new level. The 250 even in the MK-IV had sightly rolled off highs (which is why I think in the early days of harsh digital made it the perfect amp). Now with the upgrade the amp is even top to bottom, and at least for me will remain my reference for years to come...