"Cheap" replacement power supply for Squeezebox2

richidoo

Re: "Cheap" replacement power supply for Squeezebox2
« Reply #100 on: 27 Jan 2008, 06:25 pm »
Paul Hynes doesn't actively promote himself on AC, so the hype is less than other brands who have an AC circle and a lots of happy and proud customers. Plus his PS products are only a few months old. If you look at the specs of Paul's products you will be amazed at their speed (ns) and low noise (-110dB?!) I have emailed to Paul on several occasions. He has bent over backwards to help me achieve my DIY goals, he is quite something.

The plug that fits into the SB is 5.5mm barrel plug. The best one you can buy is Switchcraft #760 from Mouser. They have a cool red handled one too, it is #765...

I think there is a 500ma inline fuse on the mains. I will check it later, I gotta dig a little to get to the PS buried behind cabinet. I also mounted a toggle switch and LED indicator through the frame face. PM if you need help, I don't always check my threads...  :oops:
Rich

KBK

• Teo Audio
« Reply #101 on: 30 Jan 2008, 03:06 am »
What, pray tell,..is a Squeezebox?

(well, besides, you know.....)

in Quebec, it would be 'plotte' or similar, but we won't go to that side of town.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2008, 03:17 am by KBK »

tanchiro58

« Reply #102 on: 30 Jan 2008, 03:43 am »
Try this first before purchasing other pricier PS if you know the basic of soldering:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50284.0

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #103 on: 30 Jan 2008, 05:06 am »
Try this first before purchasing other pricier PS if you know the basic of soldering:

This looks to me to be a power cord,,,,, how does a power cord become a power supply for a Squeezebox?  :o

randytsuch

« Reply #104 on: 30 Jan 2008, 06:59 am »

This looks to me to be a power cord,,,,, how does a power cord become a power supply for a Squeezebox?  :o

Please take a closer look at this thread.

It is a power filter, and Gary found that this power filter, when used with the switcher that came with the SB was better than the linear supply he built for his SB.

Randy

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #105 on: 30 Jan 2008, 07:12 am »

Please take a closer look at this thread.

It is a power filter, and Gary found that this power filter, when used with the switcher that came with the SB was better than the linear supply he built for his SB.

Randy

So you're simply using the stock Squeezebox AC plug with this filtered power cord. OK I can understand that.  :D I'd like to see,,, or actually hear comparsisons with this and other Power Supplys tho. I'll be looking for these comparisons, maybe at a future NY RAVE?  8)

Ohh, and my apologies to Occum for posting in his Lab,,, it was an honest mistake that I tend to do way too often.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #106 on: 30 Jan 2008, 12:04 pm »
What, pray tell,..is a Squeezebox?
Serious? :o
It's the only "audiophile" approved way of getting you music from your PC to your system. Modifying it makes it better. There's wired and wireless versions. Also known as "SB" (short for Squeezebox) in versions one, two or three....SB1, SB2, SB3. Now they're getting fancy with one called the 'Duet'. The flagship model is called the 'Transporter'.
Used to be owen by Slimdevices, is now owned by Logitec.

Cool stuff, check 'em out.
slimdevices.com

Sorry for the short & choppy, gotta go........

Bob

EDIT: Ok, I received a kick in the 'nads this morning regarding my hastily posted crack about the SB being the 'only' approved unit...... :nono:
Yes, there's other ways. Many as I've been told.
The SB is cheap, quick, and easy. Arguably one of the top contenders for "the average man".
There, how's that "Mister ball kicker".  :lol: :P :wink:
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2008, 01:34 pm by Bob in St. Louis »