Not to bash How good is the quality of Bryston digital devices after 5 years?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Why ask us?  If it's a Bryston piece get it fixed by them.  Or ask them what to expect.    James will be straight with you.

witchdoctor

I have one of these in my Head-Fi rig for playback of DVDs, Blu-rays and DVD-Audio (I have a large collection). Works well and sounds good with optical plastic.

I've tried plugging in a USB thumb drive and using FLAC files for network streaming to this device. Guess what? No gapless playback. I will stick with my BDP-1 for digital audio file playback.

I need to try DVD-A, any recommendations?

witchdoctor

Why ask us?  If it's a Bryston piece get it fixed by them.  Or ask them what to expect.    James will be straight with you.

Good suggestions, and please let us know what you find out from tech support, good luck!

witchdoctor

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
digital devices act as switches and the signal rarely is degraded,however electronic components do age but the effect on digital is minimal,my personal experience conclusion digital last longer than analog say 25 years,replace ps electrolytics and get another 25 years of service.

srb

Digital chips can be quite sensitive to ESD.  I've seen a number of components either stop working correctly or stop working all together after a static discharge, including one of my own components whose display went completely dead after an accidental static spark from touching the front panel.

Steve

Grit

• - Garrett

Ditto. I'd rather spend a few hundred to keep my high quality Bryston equipment running than purchasing an inferior sounding product, just to have it new.

Hoiman

Please tell us what happens when you call or e-mail them.

I have send an e-mail to Bryston, I let you know.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
I have send an e-mail to Bryston, I let you know.

Hi Holman

Can you send me a copy as well please - jamestanner@bryston.com

james

Hoiman

Can you send me a copy as well please

Ok, I just did it.

Krutsch

I need to try DVD-A, any recommendations?

DVD-A has made a little bit of a resurgence with the new remixed releases from Steven Wilson (must be a better licensing deal than Blu-ray). That said, almost all of the older ones (and newer, as well, I guess) are available as high-res downloads from HD Tracks, et al.

They are nice for multi-channel playback, if you have a surround system, as are newer Blu-rays and multi-channel SACDs.

Roon is going to support 5.1 playback in its next release; for example, connecting my MacBook via HDMI to my surround receiver. I've done this with Audirvana and it's fun to experiment, as I've ripped my entire collection of DVDs, DVD-As and BDs into multi-channel FLAC files. I am looking forward to the software update from Roon.

Grit

• - Garrett
I'm confused... Roon requires a "Roon Ready" DAC at the endpoint, right? Is the upcoming release you're talking about doing something different? Or is your SP Roon Ready?

Phil A

I'm confused... Roon requires a "Roon Ready" DAC at the endpoint, right? Is the upcoming release you're talking about doing something different? Or is your SP Roon Ready?

Any DAC can be used with Roon (unless I grossly misunstand it).  One needs a Roon ready device - https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks.html  to feed it

Grit

• - Garrett
Any DAC can be used with Roon (unless I grossly misunstand it).  One needs a Roon ready device - https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks.html  to feed it

Sorry, that is what I intended. Guess my question then is, what player would send a 5.1 signal? Aren't all of the Roon Ready devices 2-ch audio?

Hoiman

How long do you have to wait for an answer from Bryston when you asked an question via the website?

gdayton

• Industry Participant
How long do you have to wait for an answer from Bryston when you asked an question via the website?
Usually not long, If your question was sent over the weekend, we may not have gotten to it yet. Feel free to pm me and I'll help you out.

Hoiman

Usually not long, If your question was sent over the weekend, we may not have gotten to it yet. Feel free to pm me and I'll help you out.

I send the question a week ago (tuesday), I also send James Tanner an cc of this mail. I can send you also the question by PM but then maybe to much people are handling it?