How to get tubes in my hybrid HT/2Ch setup? Or not possible?

JonnyFive

Hello tube-o-philes,

I'm wondering if I can get just a touch of tube warmth in a hybrid HT/2Ch system.

Currently: Ps3 Bitstream-->Marantz AV8801 --> Parasound A21 --> Salk Soundscape 8s run full range, "Adyssey Bypass L/R" setting.

I was thinking about a tube pre-amp, but at the lower levels I listen at, I can't live without Audyssey Dynamic Eq (which boosts bass at lower levels).  So this makes me wonder about a tube power amp, but I just don't know if anything out there can keep up for movies like Tron Legacy.

Was thinking about a Prima Luna HP power amplifier with some KT88s or KT120s, but I don't know if this would have enough power/finesse on the moderately sensitive towers?

Thanks for the advice! -Jon

Phil A

Re: How to get tubes in my hybrid HT/2Ch setup? Or not possible?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2014, 03:38 pm »
I use a 2-channel preamp with HT Bypass in the main (Modwright) and also in a secondary system

JonnyFive

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2014, 03:40 pm »
I use a 2-channel preamp with HT Bypass in the main (Modwright) and also in a secondary system

I thought about this, but there's no way to do this and still keep Dynamic EQ.  When I listen at the levels I listen at without DEQ, I think to myself "where's the bass?"

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2014, 03:44 pm »
I thought about this, but there's no way to do this and still keep Dynamic EQ.  When I listen at the levels I listen at without DEQ, I think to myself "where's the bass?"

When in the HT Bypass mode, the receiver/processor is passing the signal and volume through (the preamp is bypassed).  My Modwright 36.5DM preamp even defaults to bypass when it is off.  So the preamp is not even on when I watch movies.

JonnyFive

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2014, 03:52 pm »
When in the HT Bypass mode, the receiver/processor is passing the signal and volume through (the preamp is bypassed).  My Modwright 36.5DM preamp even defaults to bypass when it is off.  So the preamp is not even on when I watch movies.

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I meant, keep DEQ for 2Ch listening *and* HT use. 

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2014, 03:53 pm »
If you're just looking for tube sound, then you can get a tube amp or can play around with a tube buffer perhaps.  You can also just use a solid state amp that may have tube like characteristics.  You already have a processor (I got out of that since HT processors become obsolete more rapidly) perhaps just change the amp.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2014, 03:57 pm »
You probably can also get a Blu-Ray player mod with tube sound.

JonnyFive

« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2014, 03:59 pm »
You probably can also get a Blu-Ray player mod with tube sound.

I'm considering the Mod'd OPPO 105 with the tube output stage, although I don't think this will sound "tubey" by any means.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2014, 04:03 pm »
The only way would be a tube amp (not preamp)
The eq'd signal goes from the Marantz to the tube amp to the speakers.

Make sure to re-run the auto-eq after installing the new amps.

The sound will no longer be as seamless in surround sound though, and you may (or may not) notice an issue with your front stage having different amplification.