ACI Jaguar (copied post from main page)

MNEric

ACI Jaguar (copied post from main page)
« on: 10 Oct 2017, 04:07 am »
Hello all. I posted this on the main page when I guess I should have posted here. I’m Eric, I’m just getting back into music and spending dedicated time listening. It’s something I’ve been missing— stress, life, etc have gotten in the way in the past. That being said, I’m pitting my system back together.  :D I’ll be using a Marantz 2275 (fully restored), an Ah! Njobe Marantz tubed CD player, and my hand built ACI Jag bookshelf speakers.

I was referred to the site by a kind soul on audiokharma, and he said I might get some good responses here. Due to the duration of time away from music, it’s been quite a long time since I considered myself knowledgeable on the inner workings of electronics, hooking them up, even the most basic things are beyond my recollection. My speakers are biwire speakers and I used to run an Onkyo Integra Integrated amp that also had biwire capability. Now with my Marantz I will only be using a single wire set up. My questions while simple, are the following: with the four posts on my ACI speakers do I need to use a jumper? If so, do I just use a section of speaker wire and connect red to red and black to black? And which set of posts do I wire the speaker wire coming from receiver to? Upper or lower?

Also, how do I know which is the right speaker, vs the left? Thanks for your patience with me on this. I realize the questions are simplistic, but I don’t really have access to the owners manual or the vendor anymore and with all the work put into these amazing speakers, I do not want to botch anything up!

Stimpy

Re: ACI Jaguar (copied post from main page)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2017, 01:09 pm »
Hey MNEric,

Glad you made it!  Welcome!  Now, on to your questions!

"with the four posts on my ACI speakers do I need to use a jumper? If so, do I just use a section of speaker wire and connect red to red and black to black? And which set of posts do I wire the speaker wire coming from receiver to? Upper or lower?"

Yes, jumpers are fine.  A section of speaker wire works.  Red to red and black to black, as you've guessed.  As to, upper or lower, it doesn't matter.  But are the same electrically.

"Also, how do I know which is the right speaker, vs the left?"

I can't quite tell from your pictures, but are the tweeters offset in each cabinet?  If so, the tweeters are typically faced to the inside edges of the cabinets, toward one another.  This can help to slightly improve imaging.  But, it won't hurt anything to try it both ways; tweeters out and tweeters in.  Out usually helps soundstage width, in improves soundstage depth, at least IMO.  It'll probably be subtle either way.  But as I said, why not try it both ways?

One other thing, bi-wiring.  You can bi-wire with any amp/receiver.  That is not amp dependent, like bi-amping.  Two sets of wires plugged into each other on the amp side, and then running individually to each set of binding posts.  Just be sure to have the polarities correct.  Again, + to +, - to -.  Left to left, right to right.  Oh yea, if you bi-wire, you don't need the jumpers.  That would short out you amp, if you used both simultaneously!   :o

Good luck,

Stimpy

Oh yea, are you still looking for the crossover schematics?  Owners manual?  That's where I hope the folks here can help?

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2017, 03:27 pm »
As an owner of Jaguar LFM's, I can tell you that it won't make a huge difference.  I would start with the tweeters to
the outside and play with toe-in a little. If the speakers are not mirror imaged, don't worry about it. Those are great speakers,
BTW and you'd pay quite a bit more to out perform them.  A jumper from red to red and black to black is in order and then hook
speaker wires to the lower set of terminals. Stands should be about 24" in height.  Did I mention those are great speakers?
regards,
Hibuck...

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2017, 12:51 pm »
You've gotten great advice already, nothing to really add here. Beautiful job on the cabinets! Enjoy!

MNEric

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2017, 12:49 pm »
Thank you guys very much!

Mike, much appreciated, I think it was you that I actually spoke with directly during the build. Cabinets are 1/4” thick solid cherry over 3/4” MDF, which obviously slightly changes the position of the drivers in the cabinet, but they sound amazing so I’m not worried about it! Just close your eyes and wait for the vocalist to magically materialize right in front of you.

The reason I was looking for all the crossover and driver tech specs was with long term desire to hang onto these, I might want to provide future techs with that info.