VPI Scout Prime

harri009

• Industry Participant
Re: VPI Scout Prime
« Reply #20 on: 9 Dec 2014, 03:54 am »
I was just curious if anyone received their number.  What happened with the traveler launch?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #21 on: 14 Dec 2014, 03:18 pm »
I was just curious if anyone received their number.  What happened with the traveler launch?

The original Traveler arm had a design flaw.  Apparently the pins that support the bearings were too short and under certain circumstances the arm could rotate or come off the bearings entirely.  VPI corrected this with version 2 of the table, but not before there were heated discussions in some forums.
neo

ElliottStudio

• Industry Participant
  • I do it because I love to.
    • Elliott Studio Arts
« Reply #22 on: 15 Dec 2014, 05:47 pm »
I was initially very interested in getting one of the Traveler arms for my HW19Jr but ended up getting a Jelco after comparing the price and reading about the problems with the original Traveler arms. :o

This new Scout looks pretty cool..

Wayner

« Reply #23 on: 15 Dec 2014, 08:45 pm »
I have the jr. with an Audioquest PT-6 arm (Jelco D250 equiv., I believe) and the combo works very nicely indeed. I think we are all witnessing an evolution of the pivoting tonearms from VPI. They are new at this and haven't got all the ducks in a row yet, but I think they will get there. They need to get some good anti-skating devices going, and then stick in all the good stuff learned from the uni-pivot and all will be well.

I too, have read lots of complaints on the Traveler. I think it was made in too big of a hurry (huge demand because of its price) and things simply got sloppy at assembly. Probably some minor engineering problems discovered too late to keep egg off the face.....

Wayner

ElliottStudio

• Industry Participant
  • I do it because I love to.
    • Elliott Studio Arts
« Reply #24 on: 16 Dec 2014, 05:12 am »
I replaced the PT-6 on my '19 with a SA-750D. Marked improvement!

Grbluen

« Reply #25 on: 31 Dec 2014, 03:43 pm »
Bump. There is someone selling a Prime over at Audiogone, and I was wondering if any of you received your table?

loving_it

« Reply #26 on: 4 Jan 2015, 06:04 pm »
I should be seeing my Prime Monday / Tuesday  Im trying to decide if I should mount a  Ortofon Quintet Black MC Phono Cartridge or my current Soundsmith Zypher mk2. If I do decide on the MC  I will need to purchase a SUT and Im not sure if its worth the cost 

Grbluen

« Reply #27 on: 5 Jan 2015, 08:11 pm »
Go with the Soundsmith! I can hardly wait for a review on the Prime as it is.

Wayner

« Reply #28 on: 5 Jan 2015, 09:24 pm »
I replaced the PT-6 on my '19 with a SA-750D. Marked improvement!

I've done some tweaking to mine and for now, is "good enough". If I ever find a 750 arm at Goodwill, well then.........

loving_it

« Reply #29 on: 8 Jan 2015, 02:00 am »

Mounted the Soundsmith last night a did a quick listen , so far so good . Im waiting for a maple platform from mapleshade which will be here in the morning , I will then dial it all in .
I checked the speed tonight with a iphone app turntabulator and lower notch read 33.5 and top read 33.4  so im about 4% off which I can deal with for now .

heres a picture for now not the best    The new 3D tone arms look like they are worth about 20 bucks compared to the older style

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #30 on: 8 Jan 2015, 02:40 am »
I am totally digital and have been for 20 years.  Last Friday I heard a friend's new Prime with the 3D printed arm and an Ortofon cartridge.  The sound was superb. As smooth as anything I have ever heard.

loving_it

« Reply #31 on: 8 Jan 2015, 02:46 am »
I have to agree , I also have a Auralic Vega / Aries  before I bought the Prime I had a Classic 2  it held its own towards the DAC.  I cant pick digital or vinyl at this point so I decided to use both

Grbluen

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jan 2015, 05:11 pm »
That is a seriously nice looking table! About the tonearm, it probably doesn't look like it's worth it, but I bet it is! I'm still on the fence with this one. I can't wait for your reviews

ernest787

« Reply #33 on: 25 Jan 2015, 02:00 am »
Any reviews up on this yet?

Trying to decide if I should go classic or possibly the prime depending on how this sounds.

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 25 Jan 2015, 05:38 am »
Here is a photo of mine.  Setup yesterday and thus far it's been amazing!!

jtsnead

« Reply #35 on: 25 Jan 2015, 04:01 pm »
Here is a review on 10 audio, I wonder how much better the table itself compared to the older Scout which I have with a different tone arm than the VPI

http://www.10audio.com/vpi_prime.htm

Grbluen

« Reply #36 on: 25 Jan 2015, 08:13 pm »
Here is a review on 10 audio, I wonder how much better the table itself compared to the older Scout which I have with a different tone arm than the VPI

http://www.10audio.com/vpi_prime.htm

Thanks for the link!

skriefal

• SLC, Utah
« Reply #37 on: 25 Jan 2015, 11:07 pm »
And mine, sporting a Dynavector 17D3 cartridge and spinning some Queensryche :D :

loving_it

« Reply #38 on: 25 Jan 2015, 11:59 pm »
Is that the Road Runner Tachometer -Eagle Power Supply combo ?

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 26 Jan 2015, 12:08 am »
Is that the Road Runner Tachometer -Eagle Power Supply combo ?

It looks like it is in both ours.  I didn't like sticking the sensor board to my prime but the result of worry free, precise speed is a nice thing.  I tested the table without the roadrunner, eagle only and it kept it at 33.38, without the roadrunner or eagle the table at the slowest I could get it without moving the motor out was 33.46.  With the rr and eagle it stays at 33.336 or so
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2015, 05:50 am by harri009 »