New Pioneer DD turntable for $700. Looks like a Technics SL1200mkII

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
I was cursing myself when I sold my 1200MK2 and they discontinued it.

This is really good news, hopefully they sell a boatload...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
The shell is the same of a Sony PS10 I had in the 1980s.

RDavidson

It's a smart move on Pioneer's part, especially as they produce a lot of pro gear already. Any DJ knows the Technics is king, but now, maybe there's a new king. At the asking price of $700, it seems as though Pioneer did it right. They didn't make a cheaper or lesser version of a Technics, but a true replacement. Very cool.

Wayner

OK, but I thought I just read that Pioneer is getting out of the audio business. So, apparently, that was a bogus story, too.......

RDavidson

OK, but I thought I just read that Pioneer is getting out of the audio business. So, apparently, that was a bogus story, too.......

Don't think so. Only business I read of them getting out of was Plasma TV production, which was sold to Panasonic. I think Panasonic said they were getting out of the audio business........though they are producing audio equipment under the Technics name (not the Panasonic name). Matter of symantics.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
The Pioneer rolls off the same Hanpin assembly line that builds the Stanton and Audio Technica DJ tables.  Hanpin also built the Denon 100th anniversary table from a few years ago.

http://www.stantondj.com/stanton-turntables/st150.html

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/4351850e750a2f93/index.html

Russ

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Wayner, is this Pioneer TT have a chance of being much better then the old Sony DD TT I am using now?

Although I suppose it does not have an end of record lift or lift and return which these old  hands kinda likes.

Frank

Wayner

Wayner, is this Pioneer TT have a chance of being much better then the old Sony DD TT I am using now?

Although I suppose it does not have an end of record lift or lift and return which these old  hands kinda likes.

Frank

It may be very similar to the Technics SL1200MKII that I have. A very solid table, nice arm and hopefully a winner, especially at the $700 price. I'm certainly hoping that it is not like the AT120LPUSB. I am tempted to buy one.......

yeldarb

I wish someone would post an audiophile oriented review of one of these.  Or one of the comparable Reloop tables.  I am using an old DD Technics (not a 1200), that I have tweaked a little.  It is not a bad table, but it is nearly 30 years old.

The AT supposedly isn't bad if you gut the built in pre-amp, but didn't you bad mouth the anti-skate, Wayner?

Wayner

The AT anti-skate doesn't work at all. If you recall, I bought AT120 a couple of years ago and ended up modding the AS.

I did later sell the turntable to a local guy (who was happier then hell with it).

I am worried now that the Hanpin factory is making them....(I just saw that on Russtafarian's post)

Frank, your probably better off with your Sony PS-X5....

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play

Wayner

I bought one of the AT150s too. I just thought it was not made well. It hummed, the tonearm was not solid (headshell wiggled) and the pivots seemed loose. That one went back.

yeldarb

Well, one of these days they may tighten up on their manufacturing standards.  Heck, maybe they have... :roll:

Wayner

Go buy one and give up a review....... :D

Art_Chicago

hopefully the build quality is comparable  to the 1200 as it certainly looks like one.

RDavidson

The scratchers like it.   8)

Even if hiphop isn't your thing, that DJ's like it is a VERY good thing. For a DJ, durability is absolutely paramount. This should translate well to those of us who would practically baby it.

plaf26

Here's KABUSA's take on the Pioneer:

"Forget the Pioneer, just another Chinese clone." :(