Is there a consensus on amps for the Omegas? (I know - a tough question!)

4Musica

I should be getting my Omega Super 8's (Thanks, Louis!) within the next couple of weeks (No Pressure, Louis!).  I will start them out on my Accuphase P-3000 amp and see how it goes.  But I suspect that at some point I will want to go with another amp.  In perusing this forum I see that a lot of Omega owners really like the Red Wind Audio amps.  I was wondering if anyone who has been on this forum for a lot longer than I have has gotten a sense of whether or not there is a consensus on which amp, based on forum posts, is most preferred by Omega owners?  If so, which amp would that be?  Also, do any of you drive your Omegas with an Accuphase P-3000 or a comparable solid state class A/B amp, and if so, what can you tell me about the combination, both good and otherwise?

I know this is a very subjective topic, but what part of our hobby is not?!  Many thanks in advance for all replies.

4Musica

Mariusz

If it isn't broken, do not fix it.
Wait and see how Omegas respond to your amp.
Get use to the sound and most importantly, let
your new speakers go through break-in process
without jumping prematurely into conclusions.

RWA gives Omegas a bit of balance.
SS did not sound too bad either.  Not in the league of your amps tho.
(Aura Note all in one unit). Ampino integrated might be also nice (cheap). *I should get it soon*
Tube amps sound great with Omegas as well.
........soooooo many to choose from.....
But I would start with new Mini Watt integrated amp (cheap) to get the idea.  Louis and I own first generation of this "flea" amp.  I can not speak for Louis but to my ear..... it is a cool combo and it works.

If you decide to go with more exotic tube amp.
Well,   I haven't heard anything better then my new custom 300b monos.
I am not good with words but it reminds me of Supratek preamp which I loved ...... just better. 

Guy that builds it does it rather for love of the hobby then income or fame. He does take orders from time to time.

I am sure you are going to have a lots of fun.

Cheers
Mariusz 

bigjppop

Are you keeping those amps a secret???   :D  Care to share any more info?

ZLS

I should be getting my Omega Super 8's (Thanks, Louis!) within the next couple of weeks (No Pressure, Louis!).  I will start them out on my Accuphase P-3000 amp and see how it goes.  But I suspect that at some point I will want to go with another amp.  In perusing this forum I see that a lot of Omega owners really like the Red Wind Audio amps.  I was wondering if anyone who has been on this forum for a lot longer than I have has gotten a sense of whether or not there is a consensus on which amp, based on forum posts, is most preferred by Omega owners?  If so, which amp would that be?  Also, do any of you drive your Omegas with an Accuphase P-3000 or a comparable solid state class A/B amp, and if so, what can you tell me about the combination, both good and otherwise?

I know this is a very subjective topic, but what part of our hobby is not?!  Many thanks in advance for all replies.

4Musica

It is dependent on what type of music you will be playing through your Omegas.
    It is important to allow your Omegas to break in before you make any final judgments. 
    PM me if you are so inclined and I will try to give you the benefit of my experience of using different amps with Omega Speakers.   

Alwayswantmore

4Musica
I've owned two models of Omegas (Compact Hemp & now Super 6 Monitor with Deep Hemp). I've owned three amps during this timeframe (Ayre V3 K mod running balanced, First Watt F1 running balanced, Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2, which is my current amp). The RWA is warmer (and more "real") sounding than the former. I am very happy with the sound of my system. Great soundstage, dynamics, authoritative and natural sounding bass, and natural timbre for instruments / vocals.

virtue

• Industry Participant
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Our Virtue ONE.2 drives these speakers beautifully.  The topology is quite similar to RWA although we don't integrated the battery package as nicely as Vinnie does!

Alwayswantmore

Our Virtue ONE.2 drives these speakers beautifully.  The topology is quite similar to RWA although we don't integrated the battery package as nicely as Vinnie does!
Black Lightning?

virtue

• Industry Participant
    • Virtue Audio
Yip!  You can buy the battery supply unit separately from Vinnie.  Works great!  We used it at RMAF last year, driving some Omegas.  For those folks running the 30.2, it's quite a similar configuration, net-net.  My confusing, prior post was simply pointing to the fact that we don't put the battery inside the unit as RWA does; it's external.  Most of our customers are just discovering batteries because on our older models, the high-current supplies would fuse the switches (we have huge tank caps in the unit that act like a short at time-0).  We offered free soft-starts to legacy customers so they could enjoy the strong hit that batteries provide (pun intended).

Alwayswantmore

Yip!  You can buy the battery supply unit separately from Vinnie.  Works great!  We used it at RMAF last year, driving some Omegas.  For those folks running the 30.2, it's quite a similar configuration, net-net.  My confusing, prior post was simply pointing to the fact that we don't put the battery inside the unit as RWA does; it's external.  Most of our customers are just discovering batteries because on our older models, the high-current supplies would fuse the switches (we have huge tank caps in the unit that act like a short at time-0).  We offered free soft-starts to legacy customers so they could enjoy the strong hit that batteries provide (pun intended).
Gotcha Seth. I heard about your showing with Louis. Here's a link to what we're talking about: http://www.redwineaudio.com/products/black-lightning

virtue

• Industry Participant
    • Virtue Audio
And that's my quote half way down the page.  Black Lightening rocks.

“When we auditioned the Virtue TWO.2 at RMAF with a pair of critically acclaimed 97db speakers, artifacts from the switching supply were immediately audible. Going ‘off-the-grid’ with Black Lightning took our amplifier to a new level entirely - smoother, more dynamic and clear as a bell. It made me a believer.”

Seth Krinsky, Virtue Audio

Hank Murrow

Well, since few seem to be posting these days(especially Louis), I will show you(see 'New Gear' Gallery) the pieces Paul Birkeland built for me, which are driving my Omega Super 5s. First is the Phonostage which accommodates MM as well as MC cartridges and features MQ B7 Ni outputs. Sitting on top of that is the Linestage which features parallel-feed through MQ B7 Cobalt outputs, and finally a SET 2A3 parallel-feed amp featuring MQ iron throughout, including input trannies, filament chokes, plate chokes, and TFA 2004 Jr. M6/Cobalt outputs. Still breaking-in the CuTF V-caps, so the sound improves each listening day. 4 watts is plenty for the Super 5s, even in my medium-sized LR.

Hope yours are singing too!  Cheers, Hank
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2010, 02:35 am by Hank Murrow »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Hank, beautiful equipment  :thumb:

I built a Simple SE el34 SET for my 4.5" XRS, 5-6 W in triode mode, works great. Decware sells a similar amp complete. I doubt you can beat a good SET amp for the Omegas.

roscoeiii

Alwayswantmore,

Could you say more about how the differences in the F1's sound and the sound of the RWA? What were the strengths/weaknesses of each, and what kind of music are you listening to?

Mariusz

Well, since few seem to be posting these days(especially Louis), I will show you(see 'New Gear' Gallery) the pieces Paul Birkeland built for me, which are driving my Omega Super 5s. First is the Phonostage which accommodates MM as well as MC cartridges and features MQ B7 Ni outputs. Sitting on top of that is the Linestage which features parallel-feed through MQ B7 Cobalt outputs, and finally a SET 2A3 parallel-feed amp featuring MQ iron throughout, including input trannies, filament chokes, plate chokes, and TFA 2004 Jr. M6/Cobalt outputs. Still breaking-in the CuTF V-caps, so the sound improves each listening day. 4 watts is plenty for the Super 5s, even in my medium-sized LR.

Hope yours are singing too!  Cheers, Hank

Looks awesome. Must sound sweet!!!

I have been preamp-less for a while now but am working on getting something nice. Have my eye on 300b pre or matching pre from the same maker of my monos. (problem is - only one input)

Ones again, cool stuff

Cheers
Mariusz

rajacat

• Washington State
Don't forget about rebuilt vintage amps. :nono: :D I have a pair of Heathkit W5m monoblocks that were rebuilt and  modified. They pump out ~25 watts which seems to be more than adequate to power my Omega Hemp Bipoles to audio nirvana. :angel:

-Roy

Capt. Z

Looks awesome. Must sound sweet!!!

I have been preamp-less for a while now but am working on getting something nice. Have my eye on 300b pre or matching pre from the same maker of my monos. (problem is - only one input)

Ones again, cool stuff

Cheers
Mariusz

There is a NEW pre-amp out there from The Horn Shoppe. It's so new that there is not much info on it out there. I just got mine a month ago and mine was # 15.

Knowing that Omega speakers are about detail, clarity, sound staging and all of this good stuff, you may want to consider this new pre-amp, which is all about clarity, detail and sound staging, not interfering or altering the signal at all.

Just for some info on thsi amp, here is a link to my review on audio asylum:
http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Preamplifier-SS/Horn-Shoppe/The-Truth/amp/15/152892.html

Alwayswantmore

Alwayswantmore,

Could you say more about how the differences in the F1's sound and the sound of the RWA? What were the strengths/weaknesses of each, and what kind of music are you listening to?
I purchased an F1 and the RWA Sig at same time, then ran them side-by-side for break-in and evaluation. I ended up paying a 10% restocking fee to return the F1, so you know I felt pretty strongly about the RWA.

My favorite for listening critical listening:

- Take 5 by Dave Clark
- Female vocals, ranging from older Diana Krall / Girl in the next room / live in Paris
- A compilation of studio outtakes not available commercially - ranging from Frank Sinatra (mono) to Peggy Lee & Paul McCartney
- Eric Clapton Unplugged
- Various lesser know artists, with a bias toward female vocals

I rock out to 60' - 70s' ranging from Blood Sweat & Tears to AC/DC Back in Black
Some fusion / progressive Jazz
Some very simple duets and quartets like Ella Fitzgerald Joe Pass type music
I own a lot of classical, I attend the local symphony a few times a year, but honestly only listen to classical in background mode (sorry)

Equipment: The line stage I had at the time was my Wadia 830 CDP with P upgrade, running direct in balanced mode. Wadia has low impedance outs, over sampling and plenty of gain. They recommend you bypass any form of preamp or line stage. I was using Transparent balanced cables and an $800 balanced Xover from Vandersteen with the Vandersteen 2W sub and Max Hemps.

Translation: If you have a tube preamp, your results may be different.

What I found: The F1 had a slight edge for fine detail and sense of air / space. RWA had better tone and timbre. The vocals and acoustic instruments had much more flesh with RWA. In a nutshell, Red Wine was more engaging. So from a technical standpoint I admired the F1, but for plain old listening enjoyment, RWA had a big advantage to my ear.

Naturally both were quiet, but Red Wine is black as night. Red Wine has outstanding macro dynamics, and excellent bass (powerful, yet very tuneful).

I now have the RWA Isabella vacuum-tube pre + NOS Dac, and the Wadia is long gone. The addition of the Isabella (plus moving from Deep Hemps to Omega Super 5s + Deep Hemp), brings my system to a whole new level. I'm in an acoustically treated room, listening near-field -- and the sound is uncanny!

Good luck.

Mariusz

There is a NEW pre-amp out there from The Horn Shoppe. It's so new that there is not much info on it out there. I just got mine a month ago and mine was # 15.

Knowing that Omega speakers are about detail, clarity, sound staging and all of this good stuff, you may want to consider this new pre-amp, which is all about clarity, detail and sound staging, not interfering or altering the signal at all.

Just for some info on thsi amp, here is a link to my review on audio asylum:
http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Preamplifier-SS/Horn-Shoppe/The-Truth/amp/15/152892.html

Interesting!
Do they take trades? :lol:

(working on something at the moment. If it falls flat, I'll definitely consider it)

Thanks
Mariusz :P

Capt. Z

Ed Schilling and his Dad are the only folks running the Hornshoppe.

Not sure if they/he will take some trade ins.

Just ask, Ed is usually straight forward.

Of course there is always the classified section here, which I use many times for myself to raise funds for future audio purchases  8)

Mariusz

Cool. Will do. As to selling my toys ...... it is hard to part with them. If I do it , ... it is going to be the whole system. Ones you get that synergy it is hard to go back to the drawing board again and finding the right patch.    :thumb:

Now, lets get this thread back on the topic before someones feelings get hurt.  :lol: