$399 Omega?

doggie

$399 Omega?
« on: 7 Mar 2005, 03:51 pm »
Hi,

I am looking for a pair of single driver speakers for a buddy of mine. His budget is about $400 dollars. I noted on the Omega home page that they list a starting model at $399 but I cannot find it. Any ideas?

I just missed a used TS2 for sale on Audiogon for $400 that would have been perfect. Anyone out there have the itch to upgrade to a better model  :D

Best,

Paul

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
$399 Omega?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2005, 04:51 pm »
The original (narrow baffle) TS-3 was $399, but the wider baffle Super 3 sounds less "thin" in the mid-bass.

doggie

Thanks...
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2005, 05:05 pm »
Sounds like they need to update their home page unless they have a few older units left...

Thanks for the reply.

westcoast

$399 Omega?
« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2005, 09:27 pm »
Paul, you may want to email Louis at Omega or try to contact him by phone.  If your friend doesn't mind a nice "gently used" or demo set, Louis from time to time has some nice unadvertised deals around his shop. Good luck.

doggie

Thanks...
« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2005, 12:38 pm »
Thanks Westcoast.

Actually I did email him. It looks like he has not checked here in a while either. Hopefully this reflects his success at speaker making. I will try emailing him again.

Best,

Paul

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
$399 Omega?
« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2005, 11:49 pm »
Louis is an extremely pleasant young guy, don't give up on him.

He could be at another audio show or having computer problems again.

He is most willing to do custom work, but my guess he has some of the TS-3 cabinets laying around and might be able to do both of you a favor price wise.

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
$399 hi-eff speakers
« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2005, 11:57 pm »
Do a websearch on Big Fun speakers, and make them up  yourself, using the FE206E which costs $US170 or thereabouts. TNT did an article on these, and how they sound. It made me want to make them and so I did, or a similar version of them. I posted my initial impressions of these a few days ago on The Lab section of AudioC. They are simply stupendous for the money.

Luigi

doggie

Spoke with Lou...
« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2005, 01:12 am »
Thanks to all for responding. I got an email from a Circle member who was going to be returning some super 3 narrow baffles. I spoke to Lou at length and arranged to buy them. Seemed to work well for everyone.

Lou was great to talk to and, as JLM said, is very busy and plagued with computer problems.

I am sure that my buddy will like these speakers. Lou said that they would work well with the Sonic Impact amp that I picked.

Best,

Paul

westcoast

$399 Omega?
« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2005, 07:13 pm »
Well done, Paul  :thumb:   Make sure your buddy joins the Circles and posts his impressions of the Sonic Impact/Super 3 combo.  Sounds like a good one!

doggie

$399 Omega?
« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2005, 02:59 am »
Quote from: westcoast
Well done, Paul  :thumb:   Make sure your buddy joins the Circles and posts his impressions of the Sonic Impact/Super 3 combo.  Sounds like a good one!

Thanks for the kind words. I just finished reading a thread over on the Red Wine Audio forum. Vinnie met with Lou and they mixed and matched Vinnies Clarity and modded DacKit with various Omegas. Sounded like a match made in heaven. As we "speak" I am listening to Iz (Facing Future) with some AKG K-1000's and my hermit crab Sonic Impact amp. I say hermit crab because it keeps getting better enclosures. It is probably not up to Clarity standards but still is amazing sound. I never thought I would ever have anything like this. I have been a tube guy for about 20 years but I never imagined a better synergy.

Note: be carefull if you try to hook up phones with the SI. You must keep the grounds separate so you cannot use a normal jack. Also you need to put a 4 to 10 ohm resistor accross the outputs so that the SI will see a "normal load. Hint: it's worth it...

I will post when I get my buddy's system set up.

Best,

Paul

Louis O

$399 Omega?
« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2005, 02:40 pm »
Many thanks JLM and I’m starting to get a bit caught up now. I did resolve my computer issues except the website and sound room. Right now I still have to go to the sound room in N.J. to test. This website desperately needs updating as I have  a lot of new stuff to talk about. I have been working on amp bases and a new tube amp as well. The hemp cones are another area which needed a lot of attention, especially the baskets.

Hi Paul,

It was great talking with you over the phone too and it’s great that we worked out the whole thing with Doug. His Alnico’s are just about done and we can start shipping very soon.

The Clari t is an amazing amp and Vinnie is a super nice guy too. I couldn’t believe the sound with the speakers when we had our listening session. I tried everything on hand and the 3 series speakers were amazing with it. This is amazing because I have never heard a SS amp sound so good with them. The speakers where so well controlled and dynamic. The bass was amazing too. The thing that really got me was the imaging. The soundstage was enormous with the Clari t.

Many thanks to Vinnie for building a great amp and a great value too.

TS3s are an area I have to address on the site as well. They are available and the price is still $399. All the finishes are no charge except the Ebony which is $100 more. The new magnet grills are standard now too.

Thanks again,
Louis

doggie

$399 Omega?
« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2005, 12:09 pm »
Hi Louis,

The speakers arrived from Doug and my friend has them all set up: Toshiba 3960 modded CDP/Sonic Impact with regulated power supply/Omega 3R's.

He started crying when he heard the music. I think that is a good sign :lol:

Thanks for hooking him up,

Best,

Paul

kbuzz3

Thank me too
« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2005, 02:19 pm »
For breaking those bad boys in for him.  The break in is long and palpable. Glad it worked out for everyone.  My new alincos sound actually changes by the day and there is only about 60 hours on them

enjoy those artic blues...i loved them

doug

Louis O

$399 Omega?
« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2005, 01:25 am »
Hi Paul,

My pleasure and I'm really happy it's working out. the super 3s and tripath amps are a great match.

Thanks Doug for sending the speakers to Paul, I really appreciate it. The alnico's are like a journey, but eventually they will settle in.

Thanks again,
Louis