Hi Everyone, LDR passive advise/suggestions for use in (SET) tube amp system.

wolframkdess

Hi all, just joined the forum. I am looking for advise on using a LDR passive preamp together in a analog system (records) using single driver speakers, 300b tube amps, and a Valab LCR phono stage. Regards, -Wolfram

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Welcome Wolframkdess :thumb:
Maybe this circle may interest you:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=85

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Tortuga, right here on the circle,  Beats everything I have tried in 30 years, including TVC designs.

dburna

Tortuga, right here on the circle,  Beats everything I have tried in 30 years, including TVC designs.

+100.  Tortuga LDRs outclass just about everything.  Purely transparent.

-dB

Phil A

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
+100.  Tortuga LDRs outclass just about everything.  Purely transparent.

-dB

Agreed - it's what I use in my tubed preamp and I've never heard better. 

wolframkdess

Appreciate the welcome currently I have a home brew LDR and I have always suspected something like a Tortuga LDR passive would be better. I noticed that jparkhur has one up for sale would anyone be able to put me in touch with him?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Appreciate the welcome currently I have a home brew LDR and I have always suspected something like a Tortuga LDR passive would be better. I noticed that jparkhur has one up for sale would anyone be able to put me in touch with him?
You should send PM to him, we have no other contact way.

ohenry

While shopping for line stages, take a look at the Truth preamp.  Here are links to the product, and a review by Arthur Salvatore proclaiming the Truth as ..."the most 'perfect' electronic audio device, of any type, that I have ever heard, and that is why I also describe it as "one of a kind".
This statement is found in "Conclusion".

It's a great device that is reasonably priced.  I have used them in two systems with tube and ss amps for seven years.  Many things have changed but those little preamps.  Color me content. :D

http://www.thehornshoppe.com/

http://www.thehornshoppe.com/the_truth_pre_amp.html

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Linestages.html
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2017, 09:15 pm by ohenry »

rodge827

+1 for a Hornshoppe Truth!

I had high gain (32db) issues with 300b mono's and a source with a high voltage output (5v). With the Truth in place I was able to greatly increase the range of attenuation without signal degradation.  Hope whatever you decide is a good fit.

Chris 

JakeJ

Hello and welcome to AC, wolframkdess.

ohenry

Welcome to AC, wolframkdess.  I didn't realize you were new in my previous post.  :oops:

wolframkdess

Thanks Ohenry for the feedback and pointing me toward "THE TRUTH".  My tastes in audio reproduction/presentation have a number of overlapping similarities with  Arthur Salvatore so his praise of "The Truth" is extremely relevant to my desired sound. In fact it was Arthur Salvatore  that assisted me in discovering the Coincident Frankenstein 300 BXLS amps that I use currently.  Has anyone had the chance to compare "the truth" to a Tortuga LDR passive?

ohenry

Hi wolf:  I haven't heard the Tortuga, so I'm no help on the sound comparison.

The Truth is different from the Tortuga in a few ways though. They don't operate quite the same. The Truth can drive 20 foot cables, has an input impedance too high to measure and, can deliver 1/4 amp of current at a 3 ohm output impedance.

The Truth uses LDR's, not optocouplers. LDR= 2-legged device.  Optocoupler is a 4-legged device that contains an LED and LDR in one package.  So, they are similar, but Ed feels the LDR with a separate light source is better.  He has some of these points stated on the Truth web page, but a phone call to Ed would be best for design explanations.  He likes calls over email.  :D

I hope this helps a little...

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Greetings & Welcome to AC Wolfram   :thumb: