AKG 701's

milford3

AKG 701's
« on: 12 Nov 2017, 08:37 pm »
My new AKG 701's arrived today.  New headphones are always fun.  Music at a new level!

richidoo

Re: AKG 701's
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2017, 09:08 pm »
I love mine too! Bought them used here on AC.
They are the most comfortable cans I ever used, and lightweight.
Natural, clear and open sound.
They like high current amp when playing loud.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2017, 10:34 pm »
What is the soundstage size from this 701?

milford3

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2017, 12:54 am »
Hey full.  Sound stage is huge.  The best I've I heard in a headphone bar none.  This includes the Senn HD800's which I own and adore.  I amp them with the Schiit LYR.  For me a new level of listening.  The AKG 701 is a steal for the price.  A must have for the headphone nut.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2017, 01:16 am »
Wow this most surprising, thanks for inform.
I feel happy hence lots of bad news lately.
Do you can comment the soundstage on the upper models as 712 and 812?

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2017, 04:39 am »
I borrowed a friend's 701s for awhile and never quite warmed up to the sound. I respected them more than liked them. I will admit that they were very comfortable and possibly the highest resolution cans around at their price point. I just found them highly analytical and preferred the 712 Anniversaries (reincarnated as the 7xx from Massdrop).

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2017, 05:10 am »
I demo'd the 812 at a shop and thought it was... like AKG had a very messy three way affair with a Grado and Beyer and all three are fighting to push their sound signature through in an utterly non-cooperative way.

Personally, I think the K612pro is actually the best headphone in the lineup, but it's a but more amp hungry than the 700 family.

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2017, 05:29 am »
I demo'd the 812 at a shop and thought it was... like AKG had a very messy three way affair with a Grado and Beyer and all three are fighting to push their sound signature through in an utterly non-cooperative way.

I don't know if that's true or not, but it's hilarious.

Personally, I think the K612pro is actually the best headphone in the lineup, but it's a but more amp hungry than the 700 family.

That one seems to be the Rodney Dangerfield of the AKG lineup; it doesn't get any respect and seems to fly under the radar.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2017, 12:33 am »
I had the 702's and the Q701's and liked them both....sold the 702's in favor of new Audeze LCD2's....and after going thru several others, bought them again and they stayed
for awhile until I got the Beyers...T90's and the newer T1's...just sold most of my stuff to justify and help pay for the T1's!

I really liked the AKG's..very clean, crisp, wonderful soundstage IMO....treble and mids were very, very nice, the only thing missing to me was the lower end....the heft etc seemed lacking
at times compared to the Beyers....

I used many good amps with these and they reproduced bass well, just not what my mind was wanting....the bass is not bloated etc...very, very clean.

Thinking of buying another set!! lol....who knows!
I also am pondering the HD600....the 20 year wonder..

Enjoy those AKG's!
Alex

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2017, 01:18 am »
On the 701's: Yeah, the bass could use some solidity (which the 712 Anniversaries did a little better).

As far as the HD6** line goes though, I might go with the 600 if I was bargain hunting, but I'd really like to hear the 660. This branch of the Sennheiser family tree actually traces its roots all the way back to the 580 in the early to mid 90's. Tyll at Innerfi actually did a comparative article on the line; maybe he'll update it with the launch of the 660.