microRendu harsh sound

Starboard

microRendu harsh sound
« on: 6 Jan 2017, 12:27 pm »
Hi...

I recently bought microRendu with iFi adapter and after initial burn-in time, it still sounds very bright and somehow digital, specialy in upper mids and high freq. specrum. Before microRendu I was using Naim ND5xs as a player only connected to NuPrime Dac10h and this was not an issue. Now I have Synology 216j - microRendu - Nuprime dac10h - st10 - Pmc 23. MicroRendu is connected to dac over usb hard adapter. Player I am using is Logitec Media Player on Synology and Sonore via iPeng app. Any idea how to correct this? Tnx

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: microRendu harsh sound
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2017, 01:43 pm »
You're probably perceiving more detail as harsh.  Just let it play and listen.   :thumb:

Starboard

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2017, 04:05 pm »
No way... It just sound digital, thin and harsh with voices, cymbals and overall. Details are there just as stage and everything is more hifi, but I am missing weight and warm sound I have before.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2017, 04:35 pm »
Don't use a microRendu but before I tweaked recently JRiver settings, streaming from the NAS vs. local drives sounded exactly like that (more digital) when comparing to the local hard drives.  I only did a brief comparison (will eventually do more) after tweaking my settings but I clearly could not hear the same difference I did before.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2017, 04:55 pm »
No way... It just sound digital, thin and harsh with voices, cymbals and overall. Details are there just as stage and everything is more hifi, but I am missing weight and warm sound I have before.

Not debating what you are hearing...it's just very different from what the overwhelming user and reviewer feedback.

I don't ever recall the microRendu sounding that way in my system.

Not saying it is the culprit, but can you try a different USB cable and/or power supply.

When I changed those (TWL USB Cable and LIO power supply) it took something that was very good and made it excellent.

Also try Phil's recommendation to check all your software settings.

Best of luck.

George

vklyushnikov

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2017, 06:02 pm »
Hi...

I recently bought microRendu with iFi adapter and after initial burn-in time, it still sounds very bright and somehow digital, specialy in upper mids and high freq. specrum. Before microRendu I was using Naim ND5xs as a player only connected to NuPrime Dac10h and this was not an issue. Now I have Synology 216j - microRendu - Nuprime dac10h - st10 - Pmc 23. MicroRendu is connected to dac over usb hard adapter. Player I am using is Logitec Media Player on Synology and Sonore via iPeng app. Any idea how to correct this? Tnx
I had this problem with microrendu and solved it. First make sure that you have latest Sonicorbiter update - just press Update button in Software Manager. Second please replace your power supply with something better - mine is Teddy Pardo

datman

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2017, 06:52 pm »
 I second the Teddy Pardo power supply. It works wonders.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2017, 07:03 pm »
I submit the Vinnie Rossi MINI.

http://www.vinnierossi.com/mini/

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jan 2017, 08:18 pm »
Another outstanding choice is the Uptone Audio UltraCap™ LPS-1 - for $400 it might be the bargain of the group and certainly improves the sound of the microrendu.

Cappy

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jan 2017, 10:01 pm »
The LPS-1 with the microRendu is great - that is what I use.  However, I don't think it is going to solve your tonal balance/harsh sound.

My guess is the more resolving but more tonally neutral sound is uncovering some issues elsewhere in your system.

genjamon

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2017, 12:02 am »
I agree first step is an improved power supply on the microrendu. However, I would also suggest power supply on other network devices feeding  the microrendu can have additional important impacts. Even when completely galvanically isolating microrendu from my router and synology NAS using fiber optic Ethernet, I still hear significant benefits in reduced harshness and warmer fuller sound from good linear power supplies on router and NAS.

TomS

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2017, 12:28 am »
I started with the $50 iFi supply and never heard anything that could be described as bright or harsh. The LIO supply took it from really good and made it incrementally better, but both are still very satisfying. I suspect something else is going on there.

vklyushnikov

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jan 2017, 07:20 am »
I started with the $50 iFi supply and never heard anything that could be described as bright or harsh. The LIO supply took it from really good and made it incrementally better, but both are still very satisfying. I suspect something else is going on there.
Probably this depends on USB input implementation in DAC. Mine Bryson BDA 2 sounded harsh with Microrendu until I changed power supply.

Tubeburner

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jan 2017, 05:20 pm »
My Microrendu has sounded better from day one. I am using a laptop/JRiver/usb hard drive on the home network. I have nothing but good things to say about the Microrend and Jesus. I am waiting for my Uptone Audio UltraCap™ LPS-1.

Just a thought: Could your router be the one inducing noise and possibly a poor signal to the Rendu? Or a bad end on an Ethernet cable? I had a problem with internet a couple years ago and it was one end on the network. The noise it produced cut the bandwith so badly the router would pass information, but not enough to have a fast internet. I suspect some noise is defeating your signal to the network along the line. My 2 cents...

Once you find what is causing your issue, you will be more than happy with the Microrendu.

Starboard

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jan 2017, 06:20 pm »
Well, I have try to put another usb and ethernet cable in the mix between mR and router and Dac. I have also connected dlink switcher in front of modem to have 100Mbit connection stable and sound improved little bit overall, but sibilants on voices and upper registers are still there. I will see what better LPS brings, but thats last thing I am going to change. After that mR goes ebay!!  :scratch:

Tubeburner

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jan 2017, 06:40 pm »
Hi...

Have you emailed Jesus? He is very knowledgable and communicates fast. What format are your files?

Starboard

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jan 2017, 07:05 pm »
Just few moments ago I plug in another power supply which is of the dlink swicher and have output power of 7,5v.... and belive it or not I am finally happy as a pig in the mud...  :P It looks like iFi power adapter is really bad choice for microRendu.  :duh:

Tubeburner

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jan 2017, 07:22 pm »
Just few moments ago I plug in another power supply which is of the dlink swicher and have output power of 7,5v.... and belive it or not I am finally happy as a pig in the mud...  :P It looks like iFi power adapter is really bad choice for microRendu.  :duh:

I'm glad you found the noise being introduced into the mR. Enjoy!

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 9 Jan 2017, 07:26 pm »
Steve at Empirical Audio has great wall warts that he uses for his products. Might contact him to see what he uses or if he can get these.

Starboard

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jan 2017, 02:39 pm »
Another thing ... after I plugged everything except microrendu to switch and microrendu directly on the router, everything became clear and more musical without any harshness or distortion in the sound.