Collection of Omega Speakers - Long

roscoe65

Collection of Omega Speakers - Long
« on: 24 Dec 2016, 03:58 pm »
I have some how come to be in possession of a number of Omega Speakers.  This is in addition to the Altec Frankenspeakers I now have set up in my living room (thanks to my understanding SO).  We moved house a few months ago and priorities being what they are my hobbies had to take a bit of a back seat.

The holidays are just about over and I can now turn to setting up my very small dedicated listening room.  Ironically, this is where my "big" rig will be.  While the living room has the big Altecs (414A drivers in 614 cabinets, 802D drivers on 32A Horns, custom crossovers, set up on custom Isoacoustics stands), they are sited along a wall out and driven by a simple system of MAC Mini --> DB Audio Labs DAC --> Custom 421A amp with volume control.  The system in the dedicated listening room, on the other hand, will have my vinyl rig (Kenwood - don't laugh.  It is much better than you would expect), DB Audio Lab or Schiit DAC with [soon] Microrendu, Dennis Had Inspire LP27a preamp (two outputs), Inspire KT88 SE amp (5-12 wpc) and Inspire PSE amp (10-24 wpc).

The room is 11' x 12' and is also used as our library/den.  It is "dedicated" in that decor decisions are secondary to sonics, the room must also be usable for other uses, including yoga, rowing machine, etc. and the very occasional use for guest accommodations using an Aero Bed.  Furniture includes a sofa on the opposite wall as the speakers (pretty much the only option) with the option of a light, moveable listening chair for the sweet spot.  The speaker will will also be a library wall, with a 40" display, 12" deep shelves extending wall-to-wall-to-ceiling, and set up so the speakers may be pulled back close to the wall if necessary.  I can and intend to use room treatments where appropriate, especially behind the speakers.

An Embarrassment of Omega's

Somehow, I have managed to collect a number of Omega Speakers.  At the moment, my inventory includes:

Super Alnico Monitor in Real Zebrawood with Skylan 18" stands.  I bought these from another AC member.  36l cabinets.

Super 3U in EKO Ebony.  I just bought these yesterday from a local AC member.  18l cabinets.  I actually really like the laminate (it is a little tougher, and most of us have experienced nicks, bumps and scratches on speakers) and would have preferred the Tweed, but since I was buying at a discount beggars can't be choosers.  These 18l cabinets are identical to the current Super 7 MkII monitors except with a single RS5 instead of RS7 driver.

Original Super 3 (Wide Baffle) in Real Beech.  Again, I bought these second hand from another forum member, perhaps 10 years ago.  These 13l cabinets (slightly larger than the current 3i) originally held Fostex Fe127e drivers and have since been retrofit with RS5 drivers (thanks Louis!).  I feel this model is the first of the "modern" Omega speakers, leading to the Super 3XRS.  I also feel it is one of the most flexible models ever made.  Canada Rob has raved about the flexibility of the Super 3l.  I feel this model may have some advantages:  the wider baffle provides some additional upper bass support, it is slightly larger which may offer slightly better bass, and it is both front-ported and shallower in depth, which lends itself perfectly to bookshelf use.  This configuration would also be well-suited for use in Late-Ceiling Splash (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjn2NPXg43RAhXBOSYKHXrED44QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjamesromeyn.com%2Fold-pages%2Fhome-audio-gear%2Fdream-maker-lcs-late-ceiling-splash-loudspeaker-system%2F&psig=AFQjCNF9SO79u7kH0N7knC9Fx6sK7IOfzA&ust=1482675734819979) if I were to go that route.

RS5 Drivers with Ebay Cabinets in Real Ebony.  I bought these 9l, birch ply cabinets from a seller in Moldova for a very good price.  I wanted something that I could use as a desktop speaker to reuse the Fostex Fe127e from my Super 3's.  The cabinets are the same size as the current Super 3 Desktops, albeit front-ported instead of bottom-ported.  I later obtained another set of RS5 drivers from yet another AC member.  They have not been installed in these cabinets yet, but are still in packaging.

I've drawn inspiration from a number of members who have suggested different configurations.  JLM has been consistent in recommending the Late Ceiling Splash configuration; Peter has advocated for the modular approach (which I can somewhat inelegantly accommodate), and Mick Wolfe has spoken about the spaciousness of his RS5 Omni's.  Additionally, I've become attracted to the apparent virtues of the front-facing 1.5 models, especially in the reinforcement of the midbass to lower midrange regions.

Options

The most basic configuration is using a single amplifier with no LCS speakers.

Option 1:  Super Alnico Monitor.  This is the most expensive and to some extent the most "pure" configuration.  Absent other information, I would have assumed that this would be the ultimate setup in this room.  However, This configuration may want some mid and upper bass reinforcement (a la the Super Alnico 1.5 Monitor).

Option 2:  RS5 1.5 way, two cabinets.  This is where things quickly get more complicated.  Using an external crossover (2.5uF - 4uF inductor) to roll off one speaker at 300-500hz, I can have a 1.5 way configuration using the Super 3 and Super 3U speakers stacked together.  This is interesting since the most obvious initial configuration would be with the speakers positioned sideways, with the drivers vertically aligned close to the inside edge.  The combined baffle area would be 15" wide and 21" tall - almost identical in area to the Super 3XRS.

Option 2.1:  RS5 1.5 way, two cabinets (DIY).  This requires more work.  Instead of the Super 3U and Super 3 stacked, we can place the Super 3 on top of a purpose-built stand/bass enclosure for another RS5 driver.  This would allow me to make a larger enclosure for the midbass module taht would also serve as a dedicated stand for the Super 3U.  One quirk about this configuration is that the Super 3U would likely need to be place upside down to lessen the driver CTC distance.  An advantage of this configuration is that the lower enclosure may be optimized for deeper bass, complimenting the tuning of the Super 3U.  If we assume a footprint identical to the Super 3U, this lower enclosure/stand would have a volume about 66% larger than the Super 3U.  The two different volumes/tunings may have a similar effect to a double bass reflex enclosure.

Option 2.2:  RS5 1.5 way, single cabinet.  This solution is simpler than the first two options, but requires a certain testicular fortitude.  The Super 3U has a similar volume and tuning to Louis' new 1.5 way monitor.  This option involves cutting another hole in the front of the Super 3U to mount another RS5 driver and installing a 2.5 uF inductor.  This option obviously carries the most risk, but may result in the most satisfactory 1.5 way results in my situation.  If I decide to keep both the Super Alnico Monitors and the Super 3U Frankenspeakers, I can easily and quickly swap them out:  The Super 3U cabinets can sit on the 18" Skylan stands with the addition of a pair of 5" Isoacoustics stands.  This configuration would also allow me to swap in my pair of GR Research XLS Encores if I feel like it.

Option 3:  Late Ceiling Splash Configuration, two amps.  This option can be used in conjunction with most of the previously-described configurations.  In this configuration, the original Super 3 is placed on the floor behind the main speakers facing upward.  This speaker is driver by a separate Inspire amplifier.  This has some interesting potential:  The floor-mounting offers a greater delay before hitting the 8' ceiling, which should enhance the ambience effect with less smearing.  We would expect that the output from this speaker to be 3-6 dB below the main speaker.  We would also expect that we would get significant midbass reinforcement.  The floor speaker would be sited almost in a corner and would be radiating into 1/8 space.  Bass frequencies would be reinforced, but higher frequencies less so due to being 90 degrees (more or less) off axis.  The LCS channel can be turned off by simply turning off its associated amplifier.

Option 3.1:  Late Ceiling Splash Configuration, single amp.  This is simply a variation on the Omega Omni with the upward-facing driver located in a separate cabinet in the LCS position.  Both speakers would be driver off the same amplifier in parallel.  It is possible that this configuration may offer the advantages of the 1.5 way configuration (bass reinforcement, twice the power handling, twice the driver area in the bass region) and the LCS configuration while requiring only two drivers and one amplifier per side.

Bass Reinforcement

None of these options preclude separate bass reinforcement.  I have a project for stereo subwoofers in the works that would work best if I only needed to reinforce the first octave:  20-40hz.  If the speaker configuration in my room has sufficient mid and upper bass energy I would not need to think about extending bass reinforcement above 50hz.  I could use true subwoofers.

TL/dr:

I have a lot of options for setting up my small, dedicated listening room.  At the moment, all of my options are theoretical.  Configurations range from a single amp, single speaker configuration (using single or 1.5 way speakers) to a more complicated configuration using 1.5 way speakers, separately driver ambience speakers, with separately power subwoofers.

I have an advantage that few other than Louis or Canaga Rob have:  I can compare a number of Omega speakers in the same room with the same system.  While part of me is tempted to sell off extra speakers and other equipment once I've narrowed down to a single solution (freeing up cash), another part of me likes the idea of being able to reconfigure the system as I desire.

I'd love to hear any input or opinion from other members.

R

jimmieg

Re: Collection of Omega Speakers - Long
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2016, 12:43 am »
Interesting post. I just ordered the super high output alnico monitors for a room just about the same size as yours. I have RealTraps in the corners and first reflection points. I had two conversations with Louis about this and almost changed my order to a smaller model, but he assured me that these would be great in my room. I plan to use my Ayre ax7e for now but I'm curious about a tube amp.

Ultralight

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2016, 01:32 am »
Rosco65, sounds absolutely fascinating to me.  I subscribed to this thread and look forward to your findings.  You can also add a bipole setup and compare it with the omni where one is in front and one on top.  The difference has always been something I am curious about.  Also, 1.5 vs a dual full range bipole or omni.   Finally, wondering about 1.5 and then another pointing up to the ceiling for splash - this would be three drivers.

roscoe65

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2016, 02:40 am »
Ultralight - you are correct in the number of possible configurations with the three RS5 based speakers I have.  These include:

1.  1.5 way facing forward.
2.  Late ceiling splash configuration.
3.  Omni configuration.
4.  Bipole (one facing forward, one rear).
5.  Dipole (same, but out of phase).
6.  1.5 way with late ceiling splash.

It will be most interesting to compare the bass reinforcement of the 1.5 way configuration with adding another driver full range off axis, especially if the upward facing driver is located for maximum bass reinforcement. 

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2016, 08:31 pm »
I don't know if those Super's were originally mine or not (Hemp Alnico's), but I can tell you that they sounded amazingly good in small room in a nearfield configuration. I'm sure you already know that, but hey, can't hurt to say it!   I used a REL sub with them. Loved `em. Probably never should have sold `em.  :duh:

The LCS is an interesting option too. I've only heard Duke's, but they were impressive.

Good luck!