Pass Labs INT-30A and New Omega SAM's

loco11

Pass Labs INT-30A and New Omega SAM's
« on: 11 Nov 2016, 01:37 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with this solid state integrated amp paired with Omega speakers?  I recently upgraded my speakers from the 3XRS to the SAM’s with the R-compound. Great speaker, though I’m looking to purchase an excellent solid state to go with. Currently, I use the Mini Torii MK3 with an Audio GD DAC-19. I’ll keep the DAC and periodically change the amp. Other options I have considered are Clones Audio, and Audio Sector. Admittedly, I have zero experience with them; however, I am most curious about the Pass Labs given their stellar reputation.

Thanks. Chuck

seikosha

Re: Pass Labs INT-30A and New Omega SAM's
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2016, 01:49 pm »
Although I haven't read about any of the Pass Labs amps with the Omegas, there are a lot of owners out there using Nelson Pass' First Watt products.  Those amps were specifically designed for high efficiency speakers.  I believe he even designed some of the First Watt amps specifically with Single Driver speakers in mind.  Might be something you'd like to also look at.

Good luck.

jcake5

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2016, 03:41 pm »
Hi Chuck,

In reference to FirstWatt amps, Nelson has designed some versions to be current source amplifiers vs the common voltage source amplifier.  Current amps are what Nelson uses for single-driver loudspeakers.  Please read his document on the subject.  www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_cs_amps.pdf

Regards,
Eric

Louis O

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2016, 10:27 pm »
Hi Chuck,

Great news and welcome. I have heard a lot of excellent feedback with the First Watt J2
http://www.firstwatt.com/j2.html

Thanks,
Louis

mrvco

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2016, 03:49 am »
+1 for the J2.  I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and I'm definitely enjoying it.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2016, 11:27 am »
Had Channel Island Audio chip mono-blocks years ago for my single driver speakers (that use the discontinued Fostex F200A driver).  Note that chip amps are supposed to be well suited for single driver speakers.  They worked well, but the Channel Island Audio D-100 class D mono-blocks were just a smidge better. 

doggie

« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2016, 09:36 pm »
Thumbs up for Pass products with Omega. I have used both a J2 and a SIT2 with my Custom Shop Super6 Alnicos and now the SIT2 with my Super Alnico High Outputs.

Plenty of power even with the 10 watt SIT2 and very, very clear.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2016, 06:43 pm »
Had Channel Island Audio chip mono-blocks years ago for my single driver speakers (that use the discontinued Fostex F200A driver).  Note that chip amps are supposed to be well suited for single driver speakers.  They worked well, but the Channel Island Audio D-100 class D mono-blocks were just a smidge better.
+1, my experience with chip amps and single driver speakers is they work well together, also class D.

loco11

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2016, 02:19 pm »
Well, I have a new J2 in route thanks to Mark at Reno HIFI. Many thanks to all for the recommendations. Now, the the next task is deciding on a good preamp/ headphone amp. I'm considering the Decware CSP3 and the Linear Tube Audio MICROZOTL. LTA is a company local to me in the DC area, so I'm inclined to go there and check out there gear for a brief audition, perhaps with my J2 on hand.  As always, I welcome your suggestions.

Chuck

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2016, 03:15 pm »
I have a CSP2+ and can't say enough good about it.  Organic and musical.
Hibuck...

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2016, 06:02 pm »
Congrats on the JC 2's.

mrvco

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2016, 10:09 pm »
Well, I have a new J2 in route thanks to Mark at Reno HIFI. Many thanks to all for the recommendations. Now, the the next task is deciding on a good preamp/ headphone amp. I'm considering the Decware CSP3 and the Linear Tube Audio MICROZOTL. LTA is a company local to me in the DC area, so I'm inclined to go there and check out there gear for a brief audition, perhaps with my J2 on hand.  As always, I welcome your suggestions.

Chuck

I'm also contemplating what pre-amp to pair with my J2.  I'm currently using a W4S mPre and i like it well enough, but want to check out some alternatives.  I'll probably give the imminent Schiit Freya a try, but the Tortuga v3 LDR pre seems like my long term target once it's ready, possibly paired with a Decware zStage.

loco11

« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2016, 10:55 pm »

mrvco,

I too considered the W4S products mPre and the STP-SE, especially during their recent sale. However, I got the impression from a dealer that the headphone amp is only decent on the mPre and that’s important to me. I also, looked at the Pass Labs HPA-1, but pricey.

Will look again at the Tortuga.

What are your thoughts of the mPre with the J2, especially the DAC section?

mrvco

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2016, 12:54 am »
I forgot to mention that I don't have a need for a headphone amp on my 2ch system.

I think the mPre is pretty good as a preamp, but I haven't been able to compare it to anything yet.  I bought it used after I ordered the J2 since I was coming from an integrated and wanted something that I could use as a baseline when trying other preamps.  My main requirements were a remote and two pre-outs, add in the W4S reputation and it was an easy choice as a starting point (the other option was an Emotiva pre, but it seemed a bit busy for my tastes).  I have a standalone DxD/DSD DAC and haven't tried the built-in DAC (but I really should).

I expect that the STP-SE remaining passive until you need active gain would be much more transparent and a great match with the J2 and Omega Speakers.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 28 Dec 2016, 05:05 am »
I would look at a used JC 2 preamp.  A friend of mine just picked up a used newer JC2bp on audiogon for $3200 and loves it. It replaced an ARC LS6.  It would have great synergy with JC monoblocks.

mav52

« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2016, 01:36 pm »
That Int-30 has loads of class A power for those Omega speakers depending on your room size.   I'm using the XA-30.5 feed by a STP-SE driving Vapor Breeze (-86db) and have never had a limit reached even playing orchestra music. Room size 15x11x10.  OH and classic rock, jazz no problem.  Plenty loud enough for me.

loco11

« Reply #16 on: 29 Dec 2016, 12:36 am »
I would look at a used JC 2 preamp.  A friend of mine just picked up a used newer JC2bp on audiogon for $3200 and loves it. It replaced an ARC LS6.  It would have great synergy with JC monoblocks.

I just received a new Tortuga preamp along with J2, which should be a great combination along with the SAMs. Soon I'll demo a few Zenwave cables and perhaps this will be my end game.  Though, with this hobby it's very unlikely.