Pictures of a Supercharged 3XRS

Louis O

Pictures of a Supercharged 3XRS
« on: 23 Sep 2016, 08:45 pm »
Hi All,

Just finished another custom that I have done before.
Big sound out of the Super 3 XRS. Active bass clean looks and can be also used with subs off.

Thanks,
Louis

RDavidson

Re: Pictures of a Supercharged 3XRS
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2016, 03:33 am »
Nice! :thumb:

milford3

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2016, 12:23 pm »
Stunning, to say the least!

guillaume bougard

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2016, 09:52 pm »
these must be freaking monstrous with hip hop or Reggae

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2016, 02:38 pm »
Hard to believe that's a level 1 finish (EKO Teak).  Wow!

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2016, 09:23 pm »
Thanks RDavidson, milford3 appreciate it.

Hi guillaume bougard,
They do and I ran Reggae through them and they go low. Being that the woofer is hidden and the cab is so small it's really mind boggling.

Thanks Canada Rob and I also found a great EKO Walnut. It's really nice I'll be posting it soon. Walnut has been very popular and this is a great level 1 choice.

Thanks again,
Louis

tdogzthmn

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2016, 11:13 pm »
Can someone discuss the pros/cons of the going with two RS5 drivers in the front vs an Active 8" sub in the rear?  Seems like the 8" sub would win out for slam and dynamics.  The simplicity of the dual drivers is more appealing from an easy setup and not dealing with extra power cables and crossovers.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2016, 04:23 am »
Man Louis. Those look very familiar. Oh yeah, I have a pair sitting in my living room.   :D And they boggle my mind every day. Was just watching some Walking Dead, and was like what the heck are my neighbors doing. No, it was the show with sound coming from everywhere. 

roscoe65

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2016, 05:04 am »
Can someone discuss the pros/cons of the going with two RS5 drivers in the front vs an Active 8" sub in the rear?  Seems like the 8" sub would win out for slam and dynamics.  The simplicity of the dual drivers is more appealing from an easy setup and not dealing with extra power cables and crossovers.

The dual drivers will add energy in the mid and upper bass.  As impressive as dual drivers may sound, they remain 4.5" drivers and will not give the same impact an 8" driver driven by 300 solid state watts will.  OTOH, the 8" bass driver is reputed to be lightweight and fast, but it may not fill in the mid bass as well.  The plate amp has a 12 or 24 dB slopes and we would expect the bass driver to reach up to 150 or 200hz.

For my money, I would choose both the 1.5way dual drive configuration AND powered subs on each channel.

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2016, 01:59 pm »
For my money, I would choose both the 1.5way dual drive configuration AND powered subs on each channel.

Agree 100%.  I don't care how many small drivers are used, they will never provide the weight and heft of a good sub.  That's the foundation that lifts the music, drives it forward,  and really makes it percolate.  Although some Omega owners are happy with no sub, I personally can't fathom it.

As far as dual subs, I'd say it depends on room size.  In my small (10 x 10) room, one sub is good with my Super 7XRS.  In my larger (15 x 21, partial cathedral ceiling) room, I need two.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2016, 03:12 pm by sunnydaze »

roscoe65

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2016, 03:46 pm »

As far as dual subs, I'd say it depends on room size.  In my small (10 x 10) room, one sub is good with my 7XRS.  In my larger (15 x 21, partial cathedral ceiling) room, I need two.

One aspect of dual (stereo) subs is that we may want them to extend into the mid bass region, not simply filling in the bottom octave.  The stereo subs will mesh with the main drivers more seamlessly when located near the mains.  Additionally, even in a small room distributing the subs in two or more locations generally results in smoother and more even bass.

sunnydaze

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2016, 04:04 pm »
One aspect of dual (stereo) subs is that we may want them to extend into the mid bass region, not simply filling in the bottom octave.  The stereo subs will mesh with the main drivers more seamlessly when located near the mains.  Additionally, even in a small room distributing the subs in two or more locations generally results in smoother and more even bass.

Agreed.

I high-pass my Omegas at 100Hz and blend in my Gallo sub in the 100 - 125 Hz range, so it is doing some mid-bass.  The single sub in the small room is very satisfying in terms of fullness, warmth and punch, and I don't feel I'm missing anything. 

But adding a 2nd sub may indeed make it better.  I love what the 2nd sub did in the big room in terms of increased solidity / coherency and a marked expansion of space and dimensionality.

I've yet to insert the 2nd sub into the small room, mainly because it's out on loan (to a fellow Omega owner who's having trouble letting it go!    :lol: ), but also due to limited floor space and my contentment with the single sub.  I look forward to trying it at some point.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2016, 06:15 pm »
Agree with you guys completely.  I have the option of turning off my built in subs but NEVER do. It totally takes away from the music. Now of course the RS5 driver by itself is spectacular and magical but like some have stated. It's a matter of physics and there is only so much low end punch that a small driver can produce.  I am having Louis build me the dual driver RS5 speakers and adding subs to them later. We initially talked about dual RS5 drivers and dual or single built in subs but it pushed my budget way past my limits so will integrate some subs later on. Heck I might even use my current Omega subs with the new 1.5 way speakers.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2016, 06:17 pm »
Agreed.

I high-pass my Omegas at 100Hz and blend in my Gallo sub in the 100 - 125 Hz range, so it is doing some mid-bass.  The single sub in the small room is very satisfying in terms of fullness, warmth and punch, and I don't feel I'm missing anything. 

But adding a 2nd sub may indeed make it better.  I love what the 2nd sub did in the big room in terms of increased solidity / coherency and a marked expansion of space and dimensionality.

I've yet to insert the 2nd sub into the small room, mainly because it's out on loan (to a fellow Omega owner who's having trouble letting it go!    :lol: ), but also due to limited floor space and my contentment with the single sub.  I look forward to trying it at some point.

So your Omega's don't get anything lower than a 100Hz signal? What are you using to do that? Pre-amp or something else?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2016, 06:29 pm »
The dual drivers will add energy in the mid and upper bass.  As impressive as dual drivers may sound, they remain 4.5" drivers and will not give the same impact an 8" driver driven by 300 solid state watts will.  OTOH, the 8" bass driver is reputed to be lightweight and fast, but it may not fill in the mid bass as well.  The plate amp has a 12 or 24 dB slopes and we would expect the bass driver to reach up to 150 or 200hz.

I agree.

Slam doesn't come from subwoofer frequencies, down low it's more a sense of power or pressure, but it's not fast enough to cause the slam we hope for with kick-drums, etc... that takes a woofer extending to a couple hundred Hz, so the dual-driver configuration means we get twice as much slam, but the RS5s can't extend into sub territory so I think both are the ways to go unless you add a woofer that can cover subwoofer+woofer frequencies and fire it forward. I think a dual-driver RS5 speaker with sub would be great!

sunnydaze

« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2016, 06:36 pm »
So your Omega's don't get anything lower than a 100Hz signal? What are you using to do that? Pre-amp or something else?

Correct.  My Gallo CLS-10 sub has a built-in high pass filter.  I run SC from amp to sub inputs, then another set of SC from sub output to Omegas.  The filter sits between the two and is fixed at 100 Hz -- no flexibility in adjusting it.  I then use the sub's x-over and gain control to bring the sub up till it blends properly.