Alnico XRS

Adesh

Alnico XRS
« on: 22 Aug 2014, 07:25 am »
Warm greetings to all!
Recently, in my town, I was able to listen to the Super 8" Alnico XRS. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXTTz9FkwhE )

I think to buy the current version of the speakers - Alnico XRS (6,5"driver)
I want to ask the owners of Alnico XPA - to make a short video with their setups to briefly understand their sound prior to purchasing.
Unfortunately I did not find any videos with Omega drivers on the popular yotube .. :scratch:

I am a Russian bear and my knowledge of the English language was ill at school  :o
I beg you to make simple suggestions that have a good understanding of the participants.

thank you very much!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Alnico XRS
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2014, 06:23 pm »
Hello Adesh,

Welcome to the Omega AudioCircle.

Sorry I can't provide you with a video, but will tell you the Alnico XRS (6.5") will sound better than the Super 8 Alnico XRS. 
Why? Flatter frequency response, and friendly to more amplifier types.  The 6.5" Alnico driver has been Omega's top of the line driver for years and there are no plans to replace it.  The reason Louis dropped the 8" is because the 6.5" was outperforming it, so he dropped the 8", even though the 6.5" was less money at the time.

Adesh

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2014, 07:05 pm »
Thank you, Rob.
 I have read about the advantage of 6.5 "over 8"..

I think 8" sound a little "rattle". Elvis voice "cold". Lacks subtlety, refinement and most importantly heat.
What power there is better 2a3 or 300B (?)

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2014, 06:06 am »
Thank you, Rob.
 I have read about the advantage of 6.5 "over 8"..

I think 8" sound a little "rattle". Elvis voice "cold". Lacks subtlety, refinement and most importantly heat.
What power there is better 2a3 or 300B (?)
Adesh,

The sound of the 6.5" Alnico is rich, warm, and refined, yet detailed, with no bad habits that I can think of.

Based on single tube per output the 2a3 is about 3.5 w/ch and the 300B is about 9 w/ch.  The 2a3 has a reputation for being one of the best sounding tubes around, and is a great match for the 6.5" Alnico.  The 300B has more power, and is more common.  As far as which sounds better, it depends on so many factors in the design of the amplifier, especially the quality of the power transformer(s) and output transformers.

Capt. Yossarian

« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2014, 04:18 am »
@Adesh @Canada Rob

I've been thrilled with my Omega Super 3S speakers since last October/November. They're powered by a Dared 2A3C integrated amplifier -- 8 w.p.c. -- and the sound is totally magical. The combination produces the most beautiful music -- and I've thrown all sorts of music at it: classical, jazz, rock (classic, hard, soft), new age and world music all sound just sublime. There is a certain fullness to the music -- plenty of detail (especially stuff like solo guitar, piano or upright bass; voices; strings) without congestion or smearing. There is a wide and deep soundstage when the recording has it, and focus on individual instruments, too, that doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Someone wrote on another forum that the 2A3 may be just what digital source needs to sound truly good -- I tend to agree. Sadly, I no longer have my vinyl -- it's all digital, all the time. Hopefully that will change …

Adesh

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2014, 08:33 am »
I'm happy for you,Capt. Yossarian. you have found the desired
I still hope to see a short video c Alnico XRS /
other Omega speakers  also look with interest  :drool:

p.s.  if someone hesitates to publish your video then send me a link in a personal message

Good Times

« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2014, 01:36 pm »
Hi Adesh - you'll love the Alnico XRS speakers. I'm not sure a video is going to help you, as the sound will still be coming out of your PC speakers or whatever you're using, and so will sound like them and not the actual speakers.

Go for it I reckon!

FireGuy

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2014, 04:29 pm »
@Adesh @Canada Rob

I've been thrilled with my Omega Super 3S speakers since last October/November. They're powered by a Dared 2A3C integrated amplifier -- 8 w.p.c. -- and the sound is totally magical. The combination produces the most beautiful music -- and I've thrown all sorts of music at it: classical, jazz, rock (classic, hard, soft), new age and world music all sound just sublime. There is a certain fullness to the music -- plenty of detail (especially stuff like solo guitar, piano or upright bass; voices; strings) without congestion or smearing. There is a wide and deep soundstage when the recording has it, and focus on individual instruments, too, that doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Someone wrote on another forum that the 2A3 may be just what digital source needs to sound truly good -- I tend to agree. Sadly, I no longer have my vinyl -- it's all digital, all the time. Hopefully that will change …

Capt. - I like your "magical" description.  I got into a pair of Louis' Super 5's in January and will extol their (Omega's) character and performance where I can.  In this case (the RS5's)... I too have tossed a plethora of music genres and every time the nuance has come through with cohesion and with wonderful detail.  You can say my listening room is quasi near field and these monitors are just perfect in every way for the space.   Using mid level Denon amp and Boston sub the 5's just bring out the best in everything.   I've heard some "upper end speakers" and I honestly believe my set up for sure competes.  I would love to get in some $5K/$10K floor standers and do a side-by-side...it says a lot about Louis' designs in that I'm considering I would do that comparison.  There you have it.  Plus I have "leftovers" for two weeks in Europe.  Now that feels $$$ good.

Capt. - I like your "magical" description.  I got into a pair of Louis' Super 5's in January and will extol their (Omega's) character and performance where I can.  In this case (the RS5's)... I too have tossed a plethora of music genres and every time the nuance has come through with cohesion and with wonderful detail.  You can say my listening room is quasi near field and these monitors are just perfect in every way for the space.   Using mid level Denon amp and Boston sub the 5's just bring out the best in everything.   I've heard some "upper end speakers" and I honestly believe my set up for sure competes.  I would love to get in some $5K/$10K floor standers and do a side-by-side...it says a lot about Louis' designs in that I'm considering I would do that comparison.  There you have it.  Plus I have "leftovers" for two weeks in Europe.  Now that feels $$$ good.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2014, 04:59 pm »
Keep in mind Omega speakers also benefit from high quality components and cables that may be much more expensive than the speakers themselves... since there is no crossover and the drivers are capable of high resolution they benefit from world-class equipment and when used with such equipment you will get world class results. I have been upgrading my system for many years and the speakers keep sounding better with every upgrade.

As far as a comparison with other speakers, I have found you need to spend around $5k to get into something comparable and closer to $10k+ to do better. And this is picking the cream of the crop of speakers in those price ranges like the Odyssey Loreli and Pranafidelity fifty90... at the $10k range something like the Vapor Nimbus. Most of the advantage you'd get are in the areas of increased dynamics and high SPL abilities, which some of Louis' new designs are addressing. Of course they will cost more too but you'll still get crazy good value. That is the advantage to sticking to a simple design for audio. It saves money and sounds better than more complicated solutions, and to get the same quality from a more complicated solution costs a lot more money because there are a lot more parts.

FireGuy

« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2014, 05:23 pm »
Keep in mind Omega speakers also benefit from high quality components and cables that may be much more expensive than the speakers themselves... since there is no crossover and the drivers are capable of high resolution they benefit from world-class equipment and when used with such equipment you will get world class results. I have been upgrading my system for many years and the speakers keep sounding better with every upgrade.

As far as a comparison with other speakers, I have found you need to spend around $5k to get into something comparable and closer to $10k+ to do better. And this is picking the cream of the crop of speakers in those price ranges like the Odyssey Loreli and Pranafidelity fifty90... at the $10k range something like the Vapor Nimbus. Most of the advantage you'd get are in the areas of increased dynamics and high SPL abilities, which some of Louis' new designs are addressing. Of course they will cost more too but you'll still get crazy good value. That is the advantage to sticking to a simple design for audio. It saves money and sounds better than more complicated solutions, and to get the same quality from a more complicated solution costs a lot more money because there are a lot more parts.

DaveC113 - of the asforementoned upgrades you've done...what has been the most significant that improved performance , other than an amp?  (I do plan on integrating a hybrid SET).

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2014, 05:43 pm »
Probably the source... I only do digital and I have upgraded DACs a few times, now I have a Sony HAP-Z1ES and it is spectacular. Huge upgrade over what I was using, which to be fair was 1/4 the price of the Sony.

After you have a good source and amp, then cables. Cables can make a really big difference with Omegas, speaker cables even moreso than with most systems since the cables are the only thing between the amp and driver.

I bought my Omegas with a slight defect for about $600 maybe 10 years ago, then spent around $175 upgrading to RS5 drivers and around $75 upgrading binding posts and internal wire. Now I have a $2k source, and amp/preamp that would go for around $5kish, about $5k in cables and a power distribution block that goes for around $1k. My system sounds better than 95% of what is shown at RMAF. Since I built the cables there is a larger investment in cables than would be typical, but it also makes a pretty huge difference over less expensive cables.

Adesh

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2014, 06:10 pm »
I'm not sure a video is going to help you, as the sound will still be coming out of your PC speakers or whatever you're using, and so will sound like them and not the actual speakers.

The sound on the video that I shot with the Omega 8 "very, very (!) Is similar to what I have heard in a live audition. Video shot even on the phone still does it look like that in reality. It's better than not hearing anything at all and to make purchases in the blind .'s not so!?)

Above my link on YouTube and there are also a few clips with acoustics that I listened to before. The sound is very authentic though it sounds worse than it really is, of course.
I was ready to buy such as the Rega rs5, Harbeth7 and others .. now I do not regret that did not buy them  :duh:

Adesh

« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2014, 06:43 pm »
Keep in mind Omega speakers also benefit from high quality components and cables that may be much more expensive than the speakers themselves...
It is understood that separates the rest of the system should also not concede. And must be carefully chosen by listening in the overall system.

The host system XRS 8 "on the video link 2 years tried different the component to. Now the sound of his system completely satisfied with it. According to him, inexpensive Chinese power well reveals his 8".

If I still buy Alnico XRS is planning to power SanAudio sv-300B or 2a3., If 2a3 will fully control the acoustics. I prefer not to fast music. NatKingCole, Carpenters,JanisJan..

What power do you use?

Hank Murrow

« Reply #13 on: 25 Aug 2014, 04:28 pm »
Dear Adesh et al;

I recommend that you look into parallel-feed for your amplifier topology. Mike leFevre at Magnequest specializes in outputs and chokes to support PF topology, and the Bottlehead Corp. produces kits with this topology that are state of the art. The advantage of PF is that the tasks of powering the 2A3 and passing the signal are separated into chokes and transformers optimized for their very different jobs.

The result in my experience is much deeper & taut bass, extended highs, and completely quiet backgrounds due to power supply noise rejection. My Custom Bottlehead 2A3 amp with JJ 2A3-40 tubes yields 3.5 watts which can drive the new 5" omega drivers to big room-filling levels with a huge and detailed sound stage. You might pay much more elsewhere; but you can't get more than MQ and Bottlehead provide. Omegas love to be driven by their amps.

Cheers, Hank

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 25 Aug 2014, 04:44 pm »
Hank, I never get tired of seeing your amp, it is one of the nicest ever! And a great recommendation too. :thumb:

Adesh, I'd ask Louis and Rob about the specifics as I do not own the 6" Alnico... I'd be tempted to say the 2a3 produces marginal power for a 93 dB speaker, but it really depends on your listening habits whether it's enough power. I use EL34s wired in triode mode in a DIY amp with no driver... my Aikido preamp has a cathode follower output that is sufficient to drive the EL34s directly. The 5-6 wpc I get is enough for my RS5s but I've used a 30 wpc amp that was better when pushing close to the limit of what the driver can handle. Even so, a single driver's high frequencies start to sound odd when the intended excursion is exceeded, and the EL34 SET is enough power to just barely get to that point.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 25 Aug 2014, 05:12 pm »
Adesh,

Check out this thread.  Moot ends up with a Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3 with his Super 6 Alnico Monitors and is very impressed.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121461.0

jorgen

« Reply #16 on: 26 Aug 2014, 11:15 am »
Hank, I never get tired of seeing your amp, it is one of the nicest ever! And a great recommendation too. :thumb:

Adesh, I'd ask Louis and Rob about the specifics as I do not own the 6" Alnico... I'd be tempted to say the 2a3 produces marginal power for a 93 dB speaker, but it really depends on your listening habits whether it's enough power. I use EL34s wired in triode mode in a DIY amp with no driver... my Aikido preamp has a cathode follower output that is sufficient to drive the EL34s directly. The 5-6 wpc I get is enough for my RS5s but I've used a 30 wpc amp that was better when pushing close to the limit of what the driver can handle. Even so, a single driver's high frequencies start to sound odd when the intended excursion is exceeded, and the EL34 SET is enough power to just barely get to that point.

Hi all
Just a comment to the discussion of how much watt would you need to enjoy your music. I run my floorstanding Omega with 7"alnico drivers with a decware that serves 4wpc. 95% of the time it's more than enough, the other 5% well I guess I would only be happy with a huge stereo,, as in a totally different setup, that's when I want to be 20years old again. And I should mention, I have pretty large listening room, speakers are 12' apart and I usually sit about 10-12' away from speakers and I have a lot of room behind me as well.

vinagunner

« Reply #17 on: 30 Sep 2014, 12:31 pm »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 04:10 am by vinagunner »