Amp for Alpha Dog Headphone?

jibzilla

Re: Amp for Alpha Dog Headphone?
« Reply #40 on: 9 Jun 2014, 05:43 am »
Shiit amps are awesome. Their dacs I would not say are bad, but I have found quite a few that I liked more for the same price. I would describe their dacs as average.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: 9 Jun 2014, 11:07 am »
Yes, the Schiit amps are good.  No comparison to my final decision though.  I had a chance to try them side by side. 

Based on the Schiit design criteria it all makes sense.  Good stuff for sure.   :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: 9 Jun 2014, 12:06 pm »
Yes, the Schiit amps are good.  No comparison to my final decision though.  I had a chance to try them side by side. 

Based on the Schiit design criteria it all makes sense.  Good stuff for sure.   :thumb:
And just to answer my own question to this thread here is what I went with.

AURALiC Taurus MKII

Guy 13

« Reply #43 on: 9 Jun 2014, 12:41 pm »
And just to answer my own question to this thread here is what I went with.

AURALiC Taurus MKII

Hi jtwrace.
Nice set up.
Those Mr. Speakers headphones, reminds me of the BayerDynamic DT990.
The ear pads are a little the same.
I did not like them, because they were too deep,
to me, it's like have a tea cup over your ears.
But, that me...

Guy 13

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: 9 Jun 2014, 12:43 pm »
The ear pads are a little the same.
I did not like them, because they were too deep,
to me, it's like have a tea cup over your ears.
But, that me...

Guy 13
I love them!

Guy 13

« Reply #45 on: 9 Jun 2014, 01:13 pm »
I love them!

Hi (Again) jtwrace.
Well, good for you  :thumb: and bad for me... :cry:

Guy 13

DS-21

« Reply #46 on: 10 Jun 2014, 12:53 am »
I bet the Alpha Dogs are good. I'm happy with my Mad Dogs, though.

Does the amp you bought have a crossfeed circuit? IMO that makes a big difference with headphones. Without it, they just drill a mess of sound into the middle of my head.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: 10 Jun 2014, 01:03 am »
I bet the Alpha Dogs are good. I'm happy with my Mad Dogs, though.

Does the amp you bought have a crossfeed circuit? IMO that makes a big difference with headphones. Without it, they just drill a mess of sound into the middle of my head.
No idea.  I can certainly say there isn't a mess of sound into the middle of my head though.  Since you have the MD's you should give it a try.  I'm sure someone in your area has one. 

DS-21

« Reply #48 on: 10 Jun 2014, 03:40 am »
No idea.  I can certainly say there isn't a mess of sound into the middle of my head though.  Since you have the MD's you should give it a try.  I'm sure someone in your area has one.

I'm not into "listening" to amps. And I already have one that's perfectly sonically transparent, looks good enough on my desk, and has a crossfeed circuit (HeadRoom Micro Amp).

Unfortunately it seems that crossfeed circuits are not popular right now. But IMO without one the headphone experience is just, well, canned.

jibzilla

« Reply #49 on: 10 Jun 2014, 06:24 am »
Jtwrace do you have a vega to go along with your taurus? That's badass. I have the auralic ark mk+ and it's an amazing dac for the 1k I paid used. I think dan (mr.speakers) is really liking the vega now. I think he uses the mojo with it though. I was thinking about selling my X's and trying out the alpha dogs or pm2's but I think I will try and live off baloney sandwiches for a few months and keep them. If you enjoy your AD's try out the X's when you get the chance. I think you will like them and you already have an amp and dac that would suit them well. The thing with the X's though is the return policy is not as liberal as the AD's.

The only thing I have not cared for with the auralic is the feet. Cause there are none. It looks like you found some tenderfeet for the vega. I have some tenderfeet on the bottom of my ark. Not a big deal but for what you pay I thought they could have put some feet on it. At least it's 3 feet not 4 right?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #50 on: 10 Jun 2014, 11:13 am »
Jtwrace do you have a vega to go along with your taurus? That's badass. I have the auralic ark mk+ and it's an amazing dac for the 1k I paid used. I think dan (mr.speakers) is really liking the vega now. I think he uses the mojo with it though. I was thinking about selling my X's and trying out the alpha dogs or pm2's but I think I will try and live off baloney sandwiches for a few months and keep them. If you enjoy your AD's try out the X's when you get the chance. I think you will like them and you already have an amp and dac that would suit them well. The thing with the X's though is the return policy is not as liberal as the AD's.

The only thing I have not cared for with the auralic is the feet. Cause there are none. It looks like you found some tenderfeet for the vega. I have some tenderfeet on the bottom of my ark. Not a big deal but for what you pay I thought they could have put some feet on it. At least it's 3 feet not 4 right?
What are "X's"?  Yes, Dan uses the Vega now with the Liquid Glass.  Personally I feel as though this combo sounds better.  Just me though.

jibzilla

« Reply #51 on: 10 Jun 2014, 10:49 pm »
Audeze lcd-x. Yeah I forgot dan switched to the cavalli. I use an apex peak/volcano. What do you like about the Taurus/Alpha over the cavalli/Alpha dog? Do you like the balanced or single ended?

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #52 on: 10 Jun 2014, 10:59 pm »
I heard the Alpha Dogs at AXPONA with an amp....

the amp on the bottom.. What amp is that? Guess it is about $6K but did make the AD's play very nicely!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: 10 Jun 2014, 11:06 pm »
I heard the Alpha Dogs at AXPONA with an amp....

the amp on the bottom.. What amp is that? Guess it is about $6K but did make the AD's play very nicely!
Liquid Glass. $2950

joessportster

• Set & Single Driver Bliss
« Reply #54 on: 19 Jun 2014, 04:37 pm »
I dont use Alpha Dogs, but I do use ortho's  (Hifiman HE 500) and my amp of choice is a 3 wpc single end tube amp. :thumb:

Specifically  http://ampsandsound.com/products/amps/se-84/  I seriously doubt one could find a better built / better sounding tube amp in this price range, Also the builder is top notch one of the best guys to deal with

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #55 on: 19 Jul 2014, 04:39 pm »
Dan (Mrspeakers) always brings the Burson conductor on the shows. Its a terrific paring

shahed

« Reply #56 on: 19 Jul 2014, 07:29 pm »
I use my alpha dog with balanced connection through a Centrance HiFi M8 with ipod classic. Best sound I've ever heard on the go!

Upsguys88

« Reply #57 on: 23 Feb 2015, 07:45 am »
I really enjoy my modi/vali stack but have also enjoyed as per Mr. Speakers himself my ifi iCan micro and ifi iDSD nano! These are great cans for a variety of amps and dacs!

Czy6412

« Reply #58 on: 15 Mar 2015, 03:55 pm »
For Alpha Dog I use Ifi Micro IDSD as a portable source.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #59 on: 18 Apr 2015, 04:11 pm »
Hi All,

I have played my new Alpha Dog Prime headphones through my DAC 2 HGC.  The sound makes me smile and play music much too long!!  I couldn't get the volume knob above 2 or 3 o'clock without hurting my ears. The cable end is 4 pin XLR.  So I am making up some cable extensions with different ends to use with other gear.  I appreciate the thoughts you are sharing as I am new to headphones, other than a set of Sony headphones that I had forty years ago and are long dead and gone.  Can't imagine taking them on the road though.  So I am contemplating a set of custom iems and associated gear.

Best,

Blu99Zoomer