New Linkwitz LXmini

matevana

New Linkwitz LXmini
« on: 3 Jul 2014, 11:31 am »
Looks like SL introduced a new design, touting ease of construction and cost. Some interesting design elements here. For those who are familiar with his work, an analogy might be that the LXmini is to Pluto what the LX521 is to Orion.

The HF driver mount is very interesting. He uses a highly damped cylindrical well with an air gap between the driver and housing.  The goal, in this case, is to properly diffuse or scatter the rear wave, to minimize the impact of reflective surfaces behind the speaker. He states that the listener's ears should be on the dipole axis.

Interesting stuff to think about...

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
Re: New Linkwitz LXmini
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2014, 12:53 pm »
Interesting, but puzzling.

Probably sounds quite good, but I would be careful with positioning, especially proximity to front wall. YMMV.

cheers,

AJ

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2014, 01:29 pm »
It is curious, what could cause that? Almost seems like a measurement anomaly. He does say angle them in.

What is the FR driver? MU10?

Here's the link for anyone who's wondering: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/LXmini/Introduction.htm

Davey

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2014, 01:46 pm »
SL opines that the rear radiation "bright spot" is the result of differing time delays between attenuated high frequencies within the tube and propagated high frequencies traveling on the exterior of the tube and there is a resultant interference when they "recombine."  Apparently it's measurable at a certain spot in distance behind the speaker, and if the microphone is moved closer (or farther away) the measurement looks better.  What you see in his measurement is worst-case.

If anyone is interested, he will demo/explain the speakers at the RMAF this year.......along with the LX521 as well.  Madisound is now a miniDSP dealer and will offer a kit for the LXmini system at some time in the future.

The driver is yet to be determined, but most probably the Seas H1600 or the "SL" version that's used in the LX521.

Cheers,

Dave.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2014, 05:10 pm »
Hi Davey,

I'd love to see the different distance measurements. One without the tube would be nice too, to see its effect. To be clear, that whole tube arrangement is what I found puzzling, not the measurements. Those were exactly what I expected.
I of course, would have opted for the small SEAS coax. :wink: But that adds cost/complexity. I have yet to hear a midrange cone driver that I could live with for top end...and I've heard a lot. YMMV.
Proof of course, is in the pudding. Not planning on RMAF this year, but would still like to hear one.

cheers,

AJ

matevana

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2014, 05:38 pm »
It is curious, what could cause that? Almost seems like a measurement anomaly. He does say angle them in.

What is the FR driver? MU10?

Here's the link for anyone who's wondering: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/LXmini/Introduction.htm

I'm hoping it's the Seas FU10.  I use that in the Hestia V project and it happens to be a nice sounding FR especially for its size. Linkwitz had a similar driver built for his LX521 which is called the MU10RB-SL, but that driver was reworked specifically for midrange duty. Having both drivers in my possession for testing, I prefer the sound of the FU10, even for midrange applications. 

jk@home

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2014, 12:50 pm »
...Madisound is now a miniDSP dealer and will offer a kit for the LXmini system at some time in the future.

The driver is yet to be determined, but most probably the Seas H1600 or the "SL" version that's used in the LX521.

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave is Madisound going to offer the entire line, or just the stuff for SL? Don't see anything on either the Madisound or MiniDSP sites.

As far as drivers, with the PVC and no-hub parts, make the drivers waterproof and these will be perfect for our hot tub room.  :D

Seriously though, great to see he upgraded the Pluto, so folks who can't fit the LX521 in their rooms don't feel left out.

Davey

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2014, 01:47 pm »
I don't know about entire line availability from Madisound.  Time will tell on that.

I'm still not sure about the name.  This system seems more like a Pluto-maxi than a LX-mini system to me.  :)

Oh well.

Dave.

matevana

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2014, 08:02 pm »
I don't know about entire line availability from Madisound.  Time will tell on that.

I'm still not sure about the name.  This system seems more like a Pluto-maxi than a LX-mini system to me.  :)

Oh well.

Dave.

Minney, Pluto... it's all Goofy   8)

ttan98

Re:Linkwitz LXmini "Clone"
« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2014, 03:33 am »
Hi,

I thought some of you maybe interested in my mock up version of the LXMini. More info will follow once I have performed more testing of this setup.

It seems to work with Mark Audio CHR-70 III, the driver I am using, I am testing the top section first. The sound seems promising, very open and large sound stage for such a small speakers. BTW all the info of this speakers comes from Linkwitz's website I didn't buy the construction package.

Cheers.