What classical music you listening to, luv?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #1120 on: 21 Dec 2014, 06:12 am »
de Larrocha playing Granados 12 pieces on MHS.  Granados is like listening to a Spanish Chopin.
Died young, returning from a successful American debut onboard a ship sunk by a German u-boat in WWI.

steve in jersey

« Reply #1121 on: 21 Dec 2014, 01:47 pm »
de Larrocha playing Granados 12 pieces on MHS.  Granados is like listening to a Spanish Chopin.
Died young, returning from a successful American debut onboard a ship sunk by a German u-boat in WWI.

I wonder if this is this is the same album as the "Granados:Goyescas Vol.1 & 2,etc." 1 of the discs included from "The Decca Sound" box set?Beautiful music & recording....

The "Spanish Chopin", I like that (A bit, lighter hearted though. "Freddy" starts sounding slightly less "Lyrical" after awhile for myself )
I think a listen to this disc may be in order today....   Thanks for the reminder !

S Clark

« Reply #1122 on: 21 Dec 2014, 02:10 pm »
These are the 12 Spanish Dances 3-5 minutes each, closer to preludes than the Goyescas, which are much longer and complex works and remind me of nocturnes.   As with all Spanish piano music, Alicia de Larrocha is the definitive interpreter.  Find a copy.  You'll enjoy them.
Here is a link to #2, a simple yet beautiful little melody.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWERpyacIbY

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1123 on: 21 Dec 2014, 02:48 pm »
A splendid recording of Mahler's Symphony No. 5 from Water Lily Acoustics

Simply recorded with Blumlein method, it is a great recording of a very good performance.  I only wish I could find the SACD for a decent price, but the redbook is not bad.

Kudos for Water Lily and yourself for sharing.  I have "A Meeting by The River" with Ry Cooder and V.M. Blatt in a acoustic string duo that is lovely and one from MA Recordings, "The Spendour of Al-Andalus", miked with a single stereo pair that's also very lifelike and involving.  Typically a Blumien set-up is two mikes on a stand spaced about as far apart as your and my ears tho that may be an over-simplification.  I think some engineers using this methodology actually put a dummy head between them. 

ACHiPo

« Reply #1124 on: 2 Jan 2015, 07:03 pm »
The last of the Christmas-y music:

Eric Westberg Vocal Ensemble
Musica Sacra

Nice stuff well recorded.

ACHiPo

« Reply #1125 on: 2 Jan 2015, 07:04 pm »
Kudos for Water Lily and yourself for sharing.  I have "A Meeting by The River" with Ry Cooder and V.M. Blatt in a acoustic string duo that is lovely and one from MA Recordings, "The Spendour of Al-Andalus", miked with a single stereo pair that's also very lifelike and involving.  Typically a Blumien set-up is two mikes on a stand spaced about as far apart as your and my ears tho that may be an over-simplification.  I think some engineers using this methodology actually put a dummy head between them.
Jim,
I just saw this response.  I listened to the Cooder/Blatt CD and just couldn't get into it, but it is a very nice recording.

S Clark

« Reply #1126 on: 8 Jan 2015, 04:19 am »
Milstein Miniatures  Capitol P8339 is a collection of short pieces transcribed for piano and violin.  There are some beautiful little melodies that you may never hear on another recording.  Chopin's Nocture in C minor is especially gorgeous when the violin carries the right hand.  Very well recorded as well.  Look for a copy (some seem to have skyrocketed in price??? Unusual for Capitol recordings)

S Clark

« Reply #1127 on: 9 Jan 2015, 09:27 pm »
After listening last night and today to a few of my copies of the Chopin Scherzi, I recommend the Connoisseur Society CS2071 with Antonio Barbosa. The recording is amazingly good with shimmering highs and stunning lows.  It's hard to get the bottom end of a piano right, especially the big 9' concert grands, and the engineers for C.S. did an exceptional job on this recording.  If you have the speakers to handle it, look for a copy.  This is one of the best recordings of piano music in my collection, and they are available cheap at fleabay.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1128 on: 9 Jan 2015, 09:37 pm »
The last of the Christmas-y music:

Eric Westberg Vocal Ensemble
Musica Sacra

Nice stuff well recorded.
OPUS 3 is another very dependable label for true acoustics and generally Blumien miked.  I have several.

S Clark

« Reply #1129 on: 9 Jan 2015, 10:06 pm »
I checked ebay.  Opus3 recordings seem to be somewhat rare and definitely pricey.  One more thing to add to my list to watch for.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1130 on: 10 Jan 2015, 01:39 am »
Scott, it's a Norwegian label and next time yer in Houston and have some time, I'll spin Cyndee Peters' "Black in the Color for" you.  It's stunningly real sounding.  Got a few Swedish label Proprius real sounding ones, too.  Bring your Spanish piano album, won't you?

ACHiPo

« Reply #1131 on: 17 Jan 2015, 05:54 pm »
A Berlioz Orchestra Spectacular
England's City of Birmingham Symphony and Chorus
Klavier Records
180g vinyl

A1   Overture To "Roman Carnival" Op. 9   
A2   Funeral March For Hamlet, Op. 18   
A3   Hungarian March   
A4   Dance Of The Sylphs   
A5   Minuet Of The Will-O-The-Wisps   
B1   Overture To "Benvenuto Cellini" Op. 23   
B2   Royal Hunt And Storm From "The Trojans"   
B3   Trojan March From "The Trojans"

ACHiPo

« Reply #1132 on: 24 Jan 2015, 07:25 pm »
Mozart
The Magic Flute
1957 Decca Gold Label Series
Symphony Orchestra, Berlin
Ferenc Fricsay conductor

maximaka

« Reply #1133 on: 18 Feb 2015, 08:33 am »
Requiem by A.L. Webber recorded live at the Gran Hall of the Leningrad Philharmonic Society, 1988.

S Clark

« Reply #1134 on: 22 Feb 2015, 10:40 pm »
Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" with Christopher Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music on L'oiseau-Lyre

The original instruments, smaller orchestration, more original score (publishers commonly made "improvements"), and close mic-ing create a lighter and less ponderouos performance.  It's a nice contrast to most of the versions out there.
It's also nicely recorded, like most L'oiseau-Lyre recordings.

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #1135 on: 26 Feb 2015, 10:37 pm »

Daniel Barenboim / Staatskapelle Berlin
Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 / 2012

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #1136 on: 27 Feb 2015, 12:29 pm »
Ernest Ansermet conducting Falla

HiRez 24bit/192KHz download from HDTT

S Clark

« Reply #1137 on: 28 Feb 2015, 02:46 am »
MHS 7092A  Musical Heritage Society Dvorak's Slavonic Dances-  a microcosm of Dvorak's use of indigenous folk music to create a thread from which he wove a variety of beautiful and melodic themes from simple dances to the New World Symphony.  Somewhere I read a quote that many could argue as to which was the most over rated composer, but Dvorak stood alone as the most under rated composer. 
Vaclav Neumann conducting the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra.  Nice recording- detailed and quiet vinyl.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1138 on: 1 Mar 2015, 01:49 am »
Sibelius Sym #1 in E minor Op 39 + Finlandia Op 26:7 (BIS);
Havergal Brian Sym #6 "Sinfonia Tragica" (hnh records).

Dumbfoundedly beautiful.

S Clark

« Reply #1139 on: 1 Mar 2015, 02:43 am »
I haven't heard a Havergal Brian piece in about 35+ years ( a bootleg tape of something- Gothic Sym?? some monstrously huge orchestra).  Just listened to his Sym #6 on youtube and went looking for it on eBay.  Got one coming. Thanks for the heads up, Jim.  :thumb: