Yamaha A-S500 integrated amp

mcgsxr

Yamaha A-S500 integrated amp
« on: 28 Jul 2016, 12:22 pm »
These are available used at around $150-200 (I paid $180 for one last week).

Many great reviews, so I figured I would try another Yamaha integrated.

Back in 1989 my first amp was an AX-500U Yamaha integrated.  I used it with some Technics speakers, and later with some Polk and Paradigm speakers.  It was university days so volume trumped audiophile interests for sure.  As did parties LONG into the night.  That amp was often pushed (driving 2 sets of 8 ohm speakers) at high volume for many many hours and although it would get hot, it never gave up.

Fast forward "a few" years and I find myself thrilled with the "new" Yamaha. 

I have the A-S500 paired with some very not cheap n cheerful speakers (Focal Electra 906's) and it is a really pleasing combo.

Highly recommended if you are looking for a cheap, reliable, remote controlled integrated that will pair up with MUCH more expensive gear and sound good.

Guy 13

Re: Yamaha A-S500 integrated amp
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2016, 01:00 pm »
Congratulation for your purchase.
May I ask where you found such a good deal ? ? ? ?

Guy 13

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2016, 01:19 pm »
Used on Canuck Audio Mart.

The seller was in Toronto, and I made the ~90KM round trip Sunday after dinner.

I see them around on various classifies.  Well worth considering for sure.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2016, 01:30 pm »
All jap integrated amps I have seen has tone controls :scratch:

navi

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2016, 01:40 pm »

What's wrong with tone controls?

bummrush

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2016, 01:50 pm »
For me tone controls are not a make or break deal,not at all.Let us know how int is working out for you.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2016, 03:29 pm »

Three points:
  • While I hate the present culture of political correctness and hair trigger offense the extra typing to use the term Japanese or Nippon will err on the side of cultural respect.
  • The blanket rejection of tone controls ignores the reality of many variables of hi-fi systems. Chief among these the constantly present elephant in the room, the room's acoustics. BTW if you can train the elephant to stand in the corner they make excellent bass traps.
  • The A-S500 features a 'Pure Direct' button which presumably bypasses the tone controls for when one wants to get their purist on.

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2016, 04:41 pm »
Indeed the Yamaha does have a Pure Direct button that takes the controls (balance, bass, treble and variable loudness) all out of the circuit.

I have been doing all my listening this way.  I have in the past played around with variable loudness, but am finding the sound to my liking via Pure Direct with these speakers.