Shakin' My Head AGAIN

Captainhemo

Shakin' My Head AGAIN
« on: 4 May 2015, 09:09 pm »
so  I've got mresseguie and his wife coming by this afternoon to  check out the OB7's, OB H Frames,  and  X LS Encores.    Michael  and Dave  from Zenwave (Dave's Cables) worked it out so Michael was able to bring a box of cables up to the Great White North for me to audiotion (thanks to both of you guys).
Anyway,   I  just  brought the X LS Encores down  from upstairs, popped them up on the  H-frames and connected them with a pair of Dave's SMSG speaker cables (have also got his D3 connecting the  DAC / amp) Yeah, I know,  I could  pick up  quite a few pairs of the Encores for the  cable cost but I've got them here, might as well l use them !!)
 :o :o :o 
These Encores are  stock aside from a sheet of no-rez and a Vishey .1 bypass cap on each  low pass filter.  They are sitting about 3' off the front wall  and the bass response is pretty amazing  !  They easilly fill my 18' x 12' room and I'm  only  running a 50wpc (probably more like 30wpc actual)
It is just shocking to  hear what thise things will do. 

I know this has been posted many times, but if anyone is looking for a  low cost  kit that  puches WAY above its price point, don't hesitate to buy a pair of the Encores.

Jay

roscoe65

Re: Shakin' My Head AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2015, 11:18 pm »
so  I've got mresseguie and his wife coming by this afternoon to  check out the OB7's, OB H Frames,  and  X LS Encores.    Michael  and Dave  from Zenwave (Dave's Cables) worked it out so Michael was able to bring a box of cables up to the Great White North for me to audiotion (thanks to both of you guys).
Anyway,   I  just  brought the X LS Encores down  from upstairs, popped them up on the  H-frames and connected them with a pair of Dave's SMSG speaker cables (have also got his D3 connecting the  DAC / amp) Yeah, I know,  I could  pick up  quite a few pairs of the Encores for the  cable cost but I've got them here, might as well l use them !!)
 :o :o :o 
These Encores are  stock aside from a sheet of no-rez and a Vishey .1 bypass cap on each  low pass filter.  They are sitting about 3' off the front wall  and the bass response is pretty amazing  !  They easilly fill my 18' x 12' room and I'm  only  running a 50wpc (probably more like 30wpc actual)
It is just shocking to  hear what thise things will do. 

I know this has been posted many times, but if anyone is looking for a  low cost  kit that  puches WAY above its price point, don't hesitate to buy a pair of the Encores.

Jay

I will second this.  Ruben just made me a pair of XLS Encores with No Rez.  While they are not the smallest stand mounts I've had, they are one of the best I've heard.  Bass is so good from the 6.5" woofers that I took a subwoofer out of the system.

I'm running a NAD D3020 into the XLS Encores.  Not counting cables or stands, I've got less than $1,000 in this system, which includes a DAC, integrated amp and speakers.  I use this for streaming and for HT use.  For most people, this $1k system will be all they will ever need.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2015, 06:30 am »
Jay,

Did that fellow who claimed to be me show you an I.D? Are you sure you know who spent six hours as a very honored and welcomed guest in your home? :icon_twisted:

All kidding aside...both Melody and I felt so much warmth and received amazing hospitality from Jay, his buddy Don, his sister, niece, and  even his parents who stopped by to say hello that we never had time to feel awkward or out of place. We don't experience this high level of hospitality in homes very often.

I'm so glad I finally got to hear the Encores, OB7s, and the OB subs. I must agree the Encores punch way above their price point. The OB7/OB subs combo sound delightful, balanced, as one, and so enjoyable. We must have listened to them for 5 hours and not once did I feel fatigued nor did I wish to change anything.

Jay, it was my pleasure to act as carrier to bring Dave's RCAs and speaker cables to you for an audition. The funniest part was when we met for the first time two days ago and I handed the cables and my AVA Synergy amp over to two complete strangers and said, "See you in a couple days." How often outside of this hobby can that be done? Amazing. :thumb:

Time to get ready to sleep. More later.

Michael

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2015, 07:09 am »
Hey,  you didn't feel awkward or out of place  because you weren't   :D
It was great finally getting to meet you and Melody,  you're both awsome people and are  welcome back  any time. 
Really glad you enjoyed the listen   man.

Thought I was going to have a couple pics to post  but apparently someone  "photo bombed "   them   :scratch:

jay

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2015, 07:20 am »
Melody took a bunch of photos. When I get hold of them, or give her your email address, you can have all of hers.

I really did enjoy myself tonight. Now I know why people love OB.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2015, 03:50 pm »
I've been experimenting with my OB subs combined with my other speakers.  They make my X-Omnis sound so much better.  I always felt they were too bass shy.

And for fun I put my little NHT Superzero 2.0 speakers on them using my isoacoustic stands and WOW is that a great combo!  Those little NHT's throw a ridiculously deep soundstage!

nickd

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2015, 05:54 pm »
Corndog,

You inspired me to put my X-Omni's up front and see what they can do. :thumb: They have been sitting in my office for months waiting to go back into duty as rear surrounds in my 7.1 rig. I will post with my impressions once I listen to them. A comparison with a pair of X-LS I have sitting idle waiting to upgrade to "Encore's" might also be in order. :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2015, 07:04 pm »
Corndog,

You inspired me to put my X-Omni's up front and see what they can do. :thumb: They have been sitting in my office for months waiting to go back into duty as rear surrounds in my 7.1 rig. I will post with my impressions once I listen to them. A comparison with a pair of X-LS I have sitting idle waiting to upgrade to "Encore's" might also be in order. :thumb:

Be sure to toe the X-Omnis in enough so the center image is dead on. When I set mine up this past weekend they sounded good but after Danny stopped by and pulled them farther into the room (I had them 3ft from the front wall) and toed them in so the center staging was correct (I had them straight on) the Omnis shined. I always thought the Omnis sounded spacious but a little weak. Turns out the speakers weren't weak, my placement was.

I learned I have not been toeing any of my speakers in enough.  My grandson and I just reset the N3TL's and as good as they sounded before, they sound even better now.

Mike

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2015, 09:43 pm »
Be sure to toe the X-Omnis in enough so the center image is dead on. When I set mine up this past weekend they sounded good but after Danny stopped by and pulled them farther into the room (I had them 3ft from the front wall) and toed them in so the center staging was correct (I had them straight on) the Omnis shined. I always thought the Omnis sounded spacious but a little weak. Turns out the speakers weren't weak, my placement was.

I learned I have not been toeing any of my speakers in enough.  My grandson and I just reset the N3TL's and as good as they sounded before, they sound even better now.

Mike

Good to know!  I'll try that out.   :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2015, 10:35 pm »
Hey, no fair, you guys are on the wrong end of the country for me to climb in on that listening session!

I have heard the OB7's around Toronto before, but have never had the pleasure of those OB subs.

nickd

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2015, 11:12 pm »
I have heard the OB7's around Toronto before, but have never had the pleasure of those OB subs

Spring is here. Time to build! :lol:

Best bass you will ever hear if you have the room for proper placement.

Captainhemo

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2015, 12:26 am »
Hey, no fair, you guys are on the wrong end of the country for me to climb in on that listening session!

I have heard the OB7's around Toronto before, but have never had the pleasure of those OB subs.

If you are ever out this way Mark,  give me a call .

As for spring builds,  just getting going on a  apir of triple 12's with a buddy.   Looking forward  to it 

jay

Star

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2015, 12:29 am »
As for my two cents on the Encores, I totally agree with Jay and the rest. Playing around with speakers like the N3TL's and the Wedgies, it is easy to forget just how darn good the Encores are. Which is a mistake. The Encores are flat out awesome and bang for the buck is off the charts.

Mike