Seeking advice on Room treatment and testing for my new place.

patricksalter

Hi all. 

I've recently moved into a new place and wanted to start tackling the process of sound treatments in my living room, and some advice on how to do measurements on my room. 

First, my setup:  GR Research N3's and a GR Servo Sub.  A Mac Mini is the source, connected via a cryo treated USB cable (From DB Audio Labs) to a HRT Streamer DAC, which is connected to a virtue audio One.3 via some Reality Cables cryo treated interconnects.  I realize the HRT is certainly my biggest weakness in my system, but I thought I would start with my room acoustics before I upgrade to a new DAC. 

I have included some photos of my room setup.  So, the first pieces of advice I'm looking for is how I should go about taking my room measurements. 

I was thinking about using the Dayton Audio EMM-6 microphone (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KI8X40/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER) to a macbook and using the http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

Does anybody see any problems with this setup?  (I will be connecting the microphone to the mac via a Digidesign Mbox).  Additionally, this room is rectangular in shape, and has 3 entrances on it, there is a wall heater, and I'm dealing with hard wood floors.  Meaning bass traps and acoustic treatments are going to be a pain to figure out let alone speaker placement. 

I greatly appreciate any and all advice you fine AC folks may have. 

Patrick

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Yes, a couple of suggestions that are free or easy.  The TV is messing up your speakers imaging ability - mount it to the wall so it's further back.  Pull the speakers a bit forward to move them away from the mounted TV and back wall.  Put a throw rug on the floor in front of the speakers.  Pull the couch forward a foot from the back wall. 

Those things should help quite a bit.  Beyond that, try some absorption behind each speaker and on the side walls - you could use cloth drapes over the window on one side and a cloth canvas on the other wall.  You might also try some absorption behind the couch.  Try an art panel from GIK - it will look cool and it will tame the room.  I'd also recommend art panels behind the speakers - again, they look cool and improve the looks as well as the sound of the room.

patricksalter

Thanks Tyson. 

Unfortunately I cant move the couch away from the wall.  It would stop people from walking through the livingrom.  I should have mentioned that I do plan on picking up some GIK art panels for the wall behind the speakers.  I will absolutely put a carpet on the floor.  Unfortunately I cant mount the TV on the wall, for a couple reasons, but I will cover it with a blanket when listening to music. Although, I guess I could move the couch forward for critical listening. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
The Dayton Audio UMM-6 mic will work well with Room EQ Wizard.  There is a MAC version. 

Download the UMM-6 correction file from their website using the serial number on the mic.   REW will ask for it when you start it up.

http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

rak313

I would put some heavy curtains over the windows, then you can control both the light and reflections off the windows.  Also they are controllable. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Hmm...  tough one.

I would recommend moving the system in front of the windows, rotating that couch 90 degrees and moving your desk behind it, getting some long ATS panels for behind the speakers and  for the side walls.  A rug is a good idea too. 

Or if none of that sounds appealing, consider getting a better rack for your gear which has a mount for the TV and a shelf for the center channel.  Find something else to store your media. Put a small ATS panel on the left wall under the coat rack/mirror and a longer one (or two) on the back wall.  Pull the speakers out a bit for dedicated listening and push them back for when you need the space.  I recommend Isoacoustic L8R200 stands for the N3's and L8R430 for your sub.

Or consider moving. :wink:

patricksalter

RAK, I was considering curtains.  May just do that soon.  HAL, thanks for the serial number tip.  Corndog71 (If that is your real name...) I hadn't considered putting everything in front of the windows, because I can't.  This is a small room, and the couch just kills a lot of the space.  And I just moved here, so I'm not moving any time soon.  but I may do the stands.  But man, those stands better be strong, because these speakers way a ton.  Not sure I need it for the sub, since I did the sand filled enclosure. 

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
There is nothing right about your present set up. Get rid of the couch and get a single chair. Set yourself up for near-field listening. Put your system on the short wall in front of the windows, and hope for the best. The way the room is now, you'd be wasting your money on room treatment. I know, the truth hurts. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Doc

patricksalter

I appreciate all the feedback.  However, replacing the couch in my living room to replace with a single chair, is simply not an option.  Given the size of the room, its not going to be possible to set up for near field either. 

So, let me clarify a couple of things:

This is where I live.  This is the room I have to work with.  I just moved here in January, and have zero intention of moving any time soon.  I might be able to re-arrange things, but this isn't a dedicated 2 channel listening room.  I watch tv and movies in this room as well, it is, after all, my livingroom.  While it might not be ideal, It can't possibly be the disaster people are suggesting it is.  Think of this as a challenge.  I'm not looking for a world class setup, and this isn't a dedicated 2 channel listening room, so I get that this isn't the best setup.  But certainly there is always room for improvement. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I don't think it's a terrible room at all.  The few changes I suggested should go pretty far to optimizing it, and none of them are too drastic, I don't think...

patricksalter

Agreed Tyson.  The room already sounds decent.  But I want more from it.  I will be implementing pretty much everything you've suggested.  The mic should arrive tomorrow or saturday, and I will take my first round of measurements before doing any treatments or adjustments when it does.  Then comes time to tweak and treat.  Thanks again all for the advice. 

brother love

+1 on Tyson's comments.

I have been on a similar journey as yours with new A/V room & GR Research N3 transmission lines (great speakers) w/ no servo sub.  My efforts with sound measurements & acoustic sound panels are documented here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=133947.0

Thermal insulated curtains on (2) large windows helped a lot in my case. Modest curtains I used are here:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Home-Fashion-Insulated-Blackout/dp/B003S6O7A2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1430488455&sr=8-5&keywords=insulated+curtains

When you play with sound measurements & listening, I would remove the 2 ottomans, pull the couch out from the wall & see if performance is improved.  I understand that you are bound by the "L" shaped couch at this time, but it would tell you what improvements could be had for future considerations.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
RAK, I was considering curtains.  May just do that soon.  HAL, thanks for the serial number tip.  Corndog71 (If that is your real name...) I hadn't considered putting everything in front of the windows, because I can't.  This is a small room, and the couch just kills a lot of the space.  And I just moved here, so I'm not moving any time soon.  but I may do the stands.  But man, those stands better be strong, because these speakers way a ton.  Not sure I need it for the sub, since I did the sand filled enclosure.

The L8R200 stands can handle up to 60 pounds.  Since you went with a sand-filled sub and it's probably heavy as hell then you would be better off with Isoacoustic's custom modular stand.  They can cut them to fit perfectly under your sub and can definitely handle the weight. FWIW, I'm not involved with isoacoustics.  Just a very happy customer spreading the love.
http://www.isoacoustics.com/modularseries.php

patricksalter

Brotherlove, looks like we both have similar situations to work with.  I will absolutely play with pulling furniture out temporarily and run measurements to see how much things improve.  At least I will know what I'm missing out.  And thanks for the curtains recommendation.  Those are exactly the style I was thinking about.  And you just cant beat that price. Will be ordering some this weekend. 

Now for a rug...

bdp24

+1 on Tyson's comments.

I have been on a similar journey as yours with new A/V room & GR Research N3 transmission lines (great speakers) w/ no servo sub.  My efforts with sound measurements & acoustic sound panels are documented here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=133947.0

Thermal insulated curtains on (2) large windows helped a lot in my case. Modest curtains I used are here:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Home-Fashion-Insulated-Blackout/dp/B003S6O7A2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1430488455&sr=8-5&keywords=insulated+curtains

When you play with sound measurements & listening, I would remove the 2 ottomans, pull the couch out from the wall & see if performance is improved.  I understand that you are bound by the "L" shaped couch at this time, but it would tell you what improvements could be had for future considerations.
From the pics it looks like your system could be situated on the short wall to the right of your couch. The doorway by the system's present location would allow for the speakers to be moved out that far from what would then be their rear wall, with the screen and component rack back against that wall. Did you go with the long-wall location for "life-style" reasons?

Danny Richie

Okay besides the other advice you have received....

First take the stack of stuff off of each speaker. You are adding surface reflections that are already altering the response.

Second, regarding measuring the system. The number one biggest mistake that most people do is to try to measure both speakers at the same time. You can't do that. Comb filtering effects will cause big peaks and dips that aren't even room related. So just do a left only and then a right only and see what you have.

A floor rug will go a long way too. Even some panels mounted to the ceiling will help quiet the room down.

And when really getting serious about your music only playback then you might experiment with throwing a comforter over the TV set to kill that big reflection.