Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread

milford3

Re: Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread
« Reply #700 on: 17 Oct 2016, 07:54 pm »
This one from Finsterforst is brilliant.  Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdPfJMigD3Y

JoshK

« Reply #701 on: 18 Oct 2016, 07:43 pm »
Hell yeah that is good!

FireGuy

« Reply #702 on: 21 Oct 2016, 12:08 am »
I own that one, it is good.

Right now I am listening to Anciient's new release Voice of the Void.  2 songs in and I'm impressed as usual.   I loved their first album and played it to death.   This one seems slightly more mature already. 

Have a listen:
https://anciientriffs.bandcamp.com/album/voice-of-the-void

Impressive indeed.  Guitar work on "My Home My Gallows" is exquisite.  Chillingly good.

JoshK

« Reply #703 on: 23 Oct 2016, 11:50 pm »
came upon some good neo Thrash, namely Vektor (progressive blackened thrash might be the best description), Havok, Municipal Waste, Violator.... Had some fun today listening to new school thrash.  Vektor might be the find though.   

Here is the crowd favorite, but so far my favorite is the Terminal Redux album. 
Vektor - Tetrastructural Minds[\url]

JoshK

« Reply #704 on: 24 Oct 2016, 02:46 am »
If you want to listen to an epic track from Vektor, listen to the final track, Recharging the Void, off Terminal Redux.   It is some 13+ minutes and breaks into an almost cover of On Turning Away from Pink Floyd's A Momentary Lapse of reason at 6:40 as a slow point in the song....with different lyrics, but the tune is unmistakeable.

JoshK

« Reply #705 on: 9 Dec 2016, 03:26 pm »
So as 2016 is quickly coming to an end, it is about time for a recap on 2016: A Year in Metal.  :rock:

Let's start with an all inclusive list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_in_heavy_metal_music

Now here is my picks (my opinion) for best of 2016, in no particular order because that is like saying whether vanilla is better than chocolate:
Dark Tranquillity   -Atoma
Be'lakor   -Vessels
Insomnium   -Winter's Gate
Meshuggah   -The Violent Sleep of Reason
Devin Townsend Project   -Transcendence
Vektor    -Terminal Redux
Fallujah   -Dreamless
Ancients   -Voice of the Void
Allegaeon   -Proponent for Sentience
Amon Amarth   -Jomsviking

All of the above have had heavy rotation--with maybe the exception of Meshuggah which I haven't had enough time with yet but it makes the list because of its initial impression.  Be'lakor's probably made the heaviest rotation award, but then they are one of my top favorite bands right now.  Vektor was the new comer for me and this album is mind blowing.

Some other very solid albums that are worth mentioning but didn't make the above list due in part to 1) me not having enough time with the album, 2) not quite being metal (Opeth/Katatonia), or 3) I really like it but don't love it like those above.

Exmortus   -Ride Forth
Obscura   -Akróasis
Katatonia   -The Fall of Hearts
Death Angel   -The Evil Divide
Lamb of God   -The Duke
Ayreon   -The Theater Equation (live album)
Omnium Gatherum   -Grey Heavens
Opeth   -Sorceress
Fleshgod Apocalypse   -King
Ihsahn   -Arktis

Bang on!

BobM

« Reply #706 on: 10 Dec 2016, 12:00 am »
Have you heard of the Devin Townsend project, Josh? My daughter turned me on to him and I just started checking him out. Lots of output - prolific.

JoshK

« Reply #707 on: 15 Dec 2016, 08:28 pm »
Yeah I saw them play together with Fallujah (prog death) and Between the Buried and Me earlier this year.   I like DTP better than his solo stuff which is at times really weird.   If you noticed Transcendence was on my top metal picks list. 

Folsom

« Reply #708 on: 16 Dec 2016, 05:43 am »
Can you put a star next to all the ones without the awful vocals? You know, no cookie monster?  :thumb:

FireGuy

« Reply #709 on: 22 Dec 2016, 01:25 am »
Maybe I get too focused on my career etc. but I can't believe I have not heard of this annual event.  70,000 Tons Of Metal Cruise.  Check out the Artists coming up.  Some heavy hitters that I would go out my way just to see one of them.  Draconian, Arch Enemy, Gojira, Testament and Therion to name a few.    Four days of metal... and the bars don't close.  Well, of course not!

http://70000tons.com/

milford3

« Reply #710 on: 22 Dec 2016, 12:59 pm »
Maybe I get too focused on my career etc. but I can't believe I have not heard of this annual event.  70,000 Tons Of Metal Cruise.  Check out the Artists coming up.  Some heavy hitters that I would go out my way just to see one of them.  Draconian, Arch Enemy, Gojira, Testament and Therion to name a few.    Four days of metal... and the bars don't close.  Well, of course not!

http://70000tons.com/

Oh baby!  Count me in.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #711 on: 22 Dec 2016, 02:37 pm »
Forgive me for being so late to this party...I just found this thread!!! It's always been metal for me. I've listened since I was 12, played in bands since I was 14. Has anyone heard MudVayne? Check out "Eternal Primates Forever". There's a low note that you'll need a decent sub for. If you're in a car with a monster system this tune will knock the air outa ya!

JoshK

« Reply #712 on: 29 Dec 2016, 07:46 pm »
Can you put a star next to all the ones without the awful vocals? You know, no cookie monster?  :thumb:

Not too many there with cleans.   Katatonia and Opeth because they aren't really metal per se.  Death Angel is more traditional thrash vocals (aggressive but no growls), Devin Townsend screams but doesn't growl. 

For the rest of them there are varied types of non-clean vocals, some well better than others.   There is some black metal screeching (Vektor/Ihsahn) and some more traditional death metal vocals, and some low growls. 

The 70k tons of metal looks amazing, but can't work out the logistics or I would be there in a heartbeat.  I learned of it far too late.  That lineup is amazing for one festival.   Highlights for me are Gorija, Mors Principium Est, Kalmah, Amorphis (seeing them in March though), Edit: I'd add Cattle Decapitation to this list, didn't see it the first time.   Credit to my girlfriend who is Iranian but likes music like Radiohead, Opeth and In Flames before I ever met her.  I took her to Opeth, Cattle Decapitation, Gojira, and Scar Symmetry this year and she loved all of them.
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2017, 02:45 pm by JoshK »

JoshK

« Reply #713 on: 30 Dec 2016, 10:09 pm »
Listening to the new Testament now, not too bad.   edit: actually pretty kick-ass, better than either Metallica's recent or even Megadeth's new one (only slightly).

FireGuy

« Reply #714 on: 4 Jan 2017, 01:27 am »
The 70k tons of metal looks amazing, but can't work out the logistics or I would be there in a heartbeat.  I learned of it far too late.  That lineup is amazing for one festival.

I'll be booking the 2018 cruise once it gets announced.   The band line up will be as spectacular as the one coming up in 29 days from now.  Damn, I'm already psyched!!!!

milford3

« Reply #715 on: 4 Jan 2017, 01:39 am »
I'm getting my passport for this.  It will be a lifetime event for sure.  A metal head dream comes true.

JoshK

« Reply #716 on: 4 Jan 2017, 03:12 am »
That is killer, worth it for sure.   Unfortunately I have the vacation days but not really the opportunity at work to take them right now.    I literally would book it the night before otherwise, who cares if only the expensive cabins are left (I looked). 

mca

« Reply #717 on: 4 Jan 2017, 11:08 pm »
Bite down on this noise, music and gear reviews!

http://www.metal-fi.com/

JoshK

« Reply #718 on: 5 Jan 2017, 02:54 pm »
That is a good site, MCA.  I knew about the Angry Metal Guy, but not this one.   I guess I would say I qualify as a metal-fi guy.   I really am pleased when metal groups pay attention to the production quality.   

I am a fan of Sam Dunn and have been watching all the videos on youtube from Banger including his reviews and top 10 lists.    Really great stuff there and I happen to have a pretty big overlap with Sam Dunn's taste.  When he threw up Faith No More's Sol Invictus up on the top 10 of 2015 I was really shocked and impressed (Huge FNM fan here).   If he recommends something now that I don't really know too well I pay attention.   I am trying to warm up to Abbath, but perhaps I am not such a fan of black metal as he is, it's entertaining but doesn't really hook me.

That said, on the episode of the top 10 of the first half of 2016, he brings in an editor of another Canadian metal rag who likes his old skool death.  A number of times they put down the production quality as being too clean, wanting it edgier.  I wished people like that would invest in a compressor and do it themselves and leave the master alone.

JoshK

« Reply #719 on: 23 Jan 2017, 04:07 pm »
Been listening to Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence.  It might be the only ethereal and uplifting metal album I can think of.  Really puts you in a calm and happy mood, which is unusual for metal.   Clean vocals too.