NX-Treme testing is getting real over here now.

Danny Richie

Re: NX-Treme testing is getting real over here now.
« Reply #20 on: 2 Sep 2016, 02:47 am »
That's good. Are you saying your new drivers are higher sensitivity than the old Neo 3 PDR's? Wow!!

Mike

The pdr version only used three rows of magnets. Mine use five.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #21 on: 2 Sep 2016, 03:02 am »
Cool!  I didn't know the NX-otica was using 8-ohm woofers on the bottom; I thought they were 16-ohm.

It is great to read that you are getting closer on your own neo-3 drivers.  Even better to read that they are a drop-in replacement in some cases.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and have a great end to the week!

(wondering out loud if you're working on a version of your neo-3 that COULD play down to 800Hz to make that MMTMM setup work. . . you know, for science. . . ;))

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 15 Sep 2016, 02:43 pm »
I've been tweaking on these a little more and getting closer to finalizing everything.

Most everyone is wanting these decked out with all the upgrades so I may just offer them that way only. If I do then the price with all upgrades will be $2,900 for the kit and the CNC cut flat pack. Plus shipping. 

ebag4

« Reply #23 on: 15 Sep 2016, 03:12 pm »
Will these be in the 96dB sensitivity range?  How large a room do you think would be needed for these......... :icon_twisted:

Thanks,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 15 Sep 2016, 05:21 pm »
Will these be in the 96dB sensitivity range?  How large a room do you think would be needed for these......... :icon_twisted:

Thanks,
Ed

95db range. These will work in a medium sized room pretty well and will fill a big room easily too. Being all open baffle really makes them flexible.

Captainhemo

« Reply #25 on: 17 Oct 2016, 01:51 am »
Here are a  few pics of the  revised cabinets  Had a feeling there'd be extra bracing  needed (barin cramp on my part, should have just  done it from the get go  :duh: ). Added  2 more full braces and a pair of half , or  "j-braces" as I like to call them   :lol:

They all fit in dados so it's all pretty much self aligning

Add the outer or open wing  that has been altered to matchthe new driver compliment along with a bit of an extension to the short section. Note, this is a defective baffle, you can see the radius on the edge disappear as it extends down the  baffle. Also  woth noting, the bevel on the  bottom has not been cut.

A shot of the braces from the rear,  it's all a really nice fit

One   closer in of the  j-braces and how they integrate with the baffle/wings

jay

LTCase

« Reply #26 on: 17 Nov 2016, 09:25 pm »
Any update on these bad boys?

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 18 Nov 2016, 07:12 pm »
Any update on these bad boys?

I've been delayed from getting my pair up and finished because of the move to the new location.

These are going to be over the top impressive for sure.

jseipp

« Reply #28 on: 27 Nov 2016, 01:57 am »
Christmas came early in the form of a couple big boxes of build-it-yourself NX-Tremes -- now I need to get to work!

I want to put up a few pictures of the packing job done to get the cabinet components here in perfect condition.  It's really hard to capture the level of care that went into customizing the packaging.  Every one of the smaller pieces came individually wrapped within a protective cocoon of cardboard and styrofoam, as you can see, and the larger pieces came cushioned inside a custom-built crate made of plywood.  About two dozen screws hold the top on, and the wooden crossbars make certain that nothing can possibly shift in transit.  Jay has worked with me every step of the way to make sure that everything got here in perfect condition.  I can't say enough about the communication and care he has taken to make sure that I have everything I need to end up with an amazing finished product.

Everything about the NX-Tremes has been thought out and refined in the extreme, right down to the packaging.  This is the product of an amazing team of individuals, and I can only hope to do justice to their efforts with a finish that suits both my room and the speakers.  If anyone out there is considering going on this journey, I can only say that you will be working with some of the greatest guys around, from start to finish.     

Captainhemo

« Reply #29 on: 27 Nov 2016, 03:11 am »
John,
Appreciate the   feedback  on the cabinets and packaging, as you know, we want these to go toghther well for pople with minimal  fitting etc and to obviously arrive  safe and sound.

Been lots of fun working with Danny and Don on these,  we haven't had time  here to finish a pair off yet but  can't wait to do so.  I'm sure Danny has nailed the c/o's as usual  and  they'll sound amazing.  I'm still   impressed pretty much daily but hat the Oticas can do.

Really looking forward to  seeing what you do   with yours and   what you think of them when  they are  finished

Keep us all poste3d
jay

ebag4

« Reply #30 on: 27 Nov 2016, 03:17 am »
Congratulations John, I'm certain they are going to be amazing.  Anxious to see what you do with them.

Best,
Ed

saygrr

« Reply #31 on: 27 Nov 2016, 09:34 pm »
GR Research is some what new to me. In the past have been on their web sight. Never heard their products. I do not see anything about the NX-Oticas or the NX-Tremes. I take it the Oticas is the short line source? What is the bandwidth on these two NX speakers. I'm currently not going to change speakers but if I were to buy a pair of NX speakers could they be purchased assembled? They are very nice looking and no doubt a lot of effort and thought has gone into them.

From reading Danny's web sight he is using high quality components.

Danny mentioned he moved. Where did he move to?

captainhemo and jseipp can you give  the dimensions of both models and weight and frequency response and sensitivity?   

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 27 Nov 2016, 10:36 pm »
GR Research is some what new to me. In the past have been on their web sight. Never heard their products. I do not see anything about the NX-Oticas or the NX-Tremes.

These are being released in limited numbers. So I didn't want to go through all the effort of creating pages for them with just so few pairs left. If I get in more tweeters then I'll release the kit to online sales as well. Right now I am working on a deal to get new tweeters in here as soon as I can.

I take it the Oticas is the short line source?

No, they are a standard speaker design.

The NX-Tremes are more of a full sized array, but still not a line source.

What is the bandwidth on these two NX speakers.

With the matching servo subs both models will play from 40kHz down to the mid teens (yes well below 20Hz).

I'm currently not going to change speakers but if I were to buy a pair of NX speakers could they be purchased assembled?

Jay and Don will be offering some fully assembled pairs.

They are very nice looking and no doubt a lot of effort and thought has gone into them.

Yes, quite a bit of development went into them. Lots of response measurements were taken to develop the shape of the baffle and side wings.

From reading Danny's web sight he is using high quality components.

Everything matters.

Danny mentioned he moved. Where did he move to?

14 acres just outside of town. We are still completing the remodel and have not officially moved in yet.

captainhemo and jseipp can you give  the dimensions of both models and weight and frequency response and sensitivity?

I haven't weighed any of them yet, but they are not as heavy as they look.

The frequency response is very smooth. Both are less than +/-2db from end to end and have exceptionally good vertical and horizontal off axis responses. The spectral decay is also super clean and fast. The NX-Otica sensitivity is 93.5db, and the NX-Treme model comes in at 94.5db. So they are super easy to drive.

Captainhemo

« Reply #33 on: 28 Nov 2016, 04:20 pm »

When these are sent out  as "flat packs",  IIRC the Otticas  go  in 2 boxes ( approx 80 and 30 lbs),  the Extremes go  in a 200lb crate and  a 2nd  30 lbs box.  I have also not weighed a completed speaker but, I'd estimate the otticas at approx 110 lbs each and the  the Extremes at approx 155 lbs each (fully  assembled with  drivers, networks, no-rez etc)

The Otticas stand 53.5" tall , the Extremes  83.5"  (before spikes).

Both these kits do come with very high quality componnts , as Danny mentined  it all mkakes a difference. With the pair of nx-trremes we are building here, we'll be building them out  with the  supplied kit parts  but also  building out a 2nd  set of networks using  Clarity CMR/CSA caps and Jentzen Wax/Copper Foil inductors so at some  point, we'll be able to do some comparisons  8)

jay

saygrr

« Reply #34 on: 28 Nov 2016, 06:34 pm »
Thanks captainhemo.

Are the Otticas a 3 way speaker? Do they get into the 30hz region with out a sub? What type of tweeter is in them? What is with the availability of the tweeter? Danny mentioned these  two NX speakers will be limited. Does that mean they cannot be had in a year,  two years?

The 2nd pair of Tremes your making is impressive with the crossover components you will be using. If I were to purchase a pair of Otticas that's  the direction I would go. Is the 2nd pair for a customer?

I hope to talk with Danny soon. He commented about how clean the spectral decay graph was. Very very few speaker manufactures bring that up.

Captainhemo

« Reply #35 on: 28 Nov 2016, 07:52 pm »
Thanks captainhemo.

Are the Otticas a 3 way speaker? Do they get into the 30hz region with out a sub? What type of tweeter is in them? What is with the availability of the tweeter? Danny mentioned these  two NX speakers will be limited. Does that mean they cannot be had in a year,  two years?

Yes, both are a 3-way design
No, both versions  really need to be paired with the  OB servo subs for best results.  It's an amazing match
The NX-Ottica's work with either a standard Neo 3 PDR or  the higher efficiency Serenity Acousitcs version (simple network tweak), the NX-Teeme requires the higher efficiency  version.  Danny has a limited number of pairs  of the Serenity tweeter but as he mentioned,  he is working  on a new design that will be a drop in  replacement at some point... so for now, availability is limited to what Danny has or  if a customer  has  his own Neo 3 PDR's to use in  a pair of NX-Ottica's.

The 2nd pair of Tremes your making is impressive with the crossover components you will be using. If I were to purchase a pair of Otticas that's  the direction I would go. Is the 2nd pair for a customer?

It'll only be one pair of NX-Tremes with 2 seperate external networks.  These will go in my partner Don's  living room (had to let his wife choose the color  although I think there was some persuasion  :lol: )
Don['t under estimate the standard parts, they perform  extremely well but we are curious to know  what  we'll end up with  by going with the  parts I noted above.

I hope to talk with Danny soon. He commented about how clean the spectral decay graph was. Very very few speaker manufactures bring that up.

Remember too,  in Danny's response graphs he usues a  5 db scale, not many do that either.

jay

saygrr

« Reply #36 on: 28 Nov 2016, 09:06 pm »
Thanks again Jay. I'm learning and getting a better understanding what the NX- Ottica and NX-Tremes are about. Just got off the phone with Danny. Had a very good discussion. I will keep an eye on this thread and give the NX-Ottica some serious thought. If the day comes that I buy a pair i will probably assemble them myself. Will need to buy a new solder iron. Need your input on that. I'm really interested in these two speakers and the servo subs.Looking forward to your updates on the progress being made on your NX-Tremes.

Jeff

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #37 on: 29 Nov 2016, 01:40 am »
Danny,
Will your new tweeters eventually be available for the rest of your N-series kits as well?

Danny Richie

« Reply #38 on: 29 Nov 2016, 08:17 pm »
Are the Otticas a 3 way speaker?

Yes.

Do they get into the 30hz region with out a sub?

No, the servo subs are a critical part of the speaker. Then main speakers will only play down to a -3db of 70 to 80Hz.

What type of tweeter is in them?

Planar magnetic.

What is with the availability of the tweeter?

Very limited at the moment. But I am having a custom variant made.

Danny mentioned these  two NX speakers will be limited. Does that mean they cannot be had in a year,  two years?

Of all the measurements that can be taken, nothing will tell you more about how a speaker will sound than the csd.