The Next Step...

kip_

Re: The Next Step...
« Reply #40 on: 30 Mar 2011, 01:55 am »
These are using a DEQX rather than a passive crossover, right?

Richidoo how would you compare these to the Mejor?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #41 on: 30 Mar 2011, 02:09 am »
I heard these today, all I can say is WOW! These are some of the best speakers I have ever heard.

Congrats to Don and to Rick and the rest of the team for this masterpiece. I hope you're able to "bottle it" to share with the rest of us. Thanks for the chance to hear the early version and to meet Don.

And you didn't bring a camera to document this momentous occasion ?  :o

Fer shame, fer shame,,,,, and I'm totally jeolous too.  :lol:  Thanks for the appitizer Richdoo.   :drool:

Cheers,
Robin

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #42 on: 30 Mar 2011, 02:23 am »

Yes, active with a DEQX. The DSP capability of the DEQX allows us to do things not possible with a passive crossover.

chrismercurio

« Reply #43 on: 30 Mar 2011, 06:03 pm »
Photos may not have been allowed in order to protect the innocent.

I, for one, cannot wait to see them.

JoshK

« Reply #44 on: 30 Mar 2011, 06:15 pm »
Anymore details/pictures?  Curious minds want to know...

Jumpin

« Reply #45 on: 30 Mar 2011, 06:55 pm »
The design appears similar to the curved speaker stacks hanging from the ceiling in arena concerts these days.  I wonder if that is the inspiration?  For that reason, I would imagine these would be fabulous for live recordings.

JoshK

« Reply #46 on: 30 Mar 2011, 07:07 pm »
No, this uses "shading" which controls the beam width that older Pro curved stacks don't typically use.   Keele shows this along with the difference it makes in his presentation. 

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #47 on: 30 Mar 2011, 09:09 pm »

Here's a picture (unfinished side panels) ...

arthurs

« Reply #48 on: 30 Mar 2011, 11:22 pm »
What are the benefits of the curved front?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #49 on: 31 Mar 2011, 01:29 am »
Saena's come to mind- if I spelled that right- one of HP's in residence speakers.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #50 on: 31 Mar 2011, 01:39 am »

(12) 5" woofers and (48) 3/4" dome tweeters per side. A pair can be driven with 4-16 amplifier channels depending on whether passive shading is used or not. We are using a DEQX but other  DSP crossovers can be used as well.

richidoo

« Reply #51 on: 31 Mar 2011, 02:04 am »

Been a long time since I heard Mejor, but they remain my favorite Selah speaker for my needs. I was glad to learn that they are still available for ordering should I ever come down from my DIY treehouse. I think that they are a little more refined tonally as you would expect from their "best in the world" driver quality. But the arrays are very refined and played violin harmonic overtones, huge wailing brass sections and quiet woodwind sections perfectly as well as Tierney Sutton's ballad voice with grace and subtlety. They can play small and sweet if called, whereas the Mejors could never come close to the dynamic power or presentation scale of the arrays on bigger music. As I see it, the Mejor is intended for ultimate stereo listening in a small/medium size room or large residential room with the sub, while the arrays could do a huge home theater/music room, or a very realistic full size symphony orchestra in a ballroom with hundreds of people. Think Ray Kimber's OmniMike demo at RMAF, but you wouldn't have to use your imagination. Are you listening Ray??  :eyebrows:

Each midwoofer on the array is in its own separate box, held in the curve by the sidewalls.

face

« Reply #52 on: 31 Mar 2011, 02:23 am »
(12) 5" woofers and (48) 3/4" dome tweeters per side. A pair can be driven with 4-16 amplifier channels depending on whether passive shading is used or not. We are using a DEQX but other  DSP crossovers can be used as well.
How long until an Illuminator version is available?  :D

JoshK

« Reply #53 on: 31 Mar 2011, 02:29 am »
I seriously want to hear those.  I think I recognize the woofer, but can't make out the tweeter in that pic.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #54 on: 31 Mar 2011, 02:30 am »
The design appears similar to the curved speaker stacks hanging from the ceiling in arena concerts these days.  I wonder if that is the inspiration?  For that reason, I would imagine these would be fabulous for live recordings.

There are various curved arrays on the market but this design uses the ground plane (floor) to effectively double the length of the array. There are also some other differences as well.

JoshK

« Reply #55 on: 31 Mar 2011, 02:32 am »
The easiest way to understand the technology is to look closely at the drawings in Keele's presentation.  He has some CAD drawings that I think illustrate the concept very nicely.  Its pretty ingenious if you ask me.

JoshK

« Reply #56 on: 31 Mar 2011, 02:38 am »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #57 on: 31 Mar 2011, 03:16 am »
No, this uses "shading" which controls the beam width that older Pro curved stacks don't typically use.   Keele shows this along with the difference it makes in his presentation.

JBL and others are using DSP "steering" to control the coverage of their high end pro arrays. This is an elegant way to achieve the same results.

JoshK

« Reply #58 on: 31 Mar 2011, 01:16 pm »
That is true.  I was referring more to traditional J arrays, which often are not shaded, unless of course they are JBL or (QSC?). 

Jumpin

« Reply #59 on: 31 Mar 2011, 01:34 pm »
Interesting presentation, well above my head most of it.  Quite exciting direction for implementation in the home.