Need a new AV Receiver

milford3

Need a new AV Receiver
« on: 17 Sep 2014, 06:21 pm »
My now 15 year old h/k 845 AVR is on its last leg.  The pre outs no longer work.  I'm not shipping this beast out (48 Lbs.) for repair so time for a new one.  My budget is 2.5K.  I'm liking the Rotel RSX 1562 and the Marantz SR7007 or the SR7008.   Care free to opine.

Cacophonix

Re: Need a new AV Receiver
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2014, 06:33 pm »
If you don't care for dolby atmos, bestbuy has the denon 4520 for $999
Or get the latest from anthem.

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2014, 06:45 pm »
With the size of your budget, you should consider separates. An Emotiva XPA-5 will run you $999, and you'll have $1,500 remaining for a decent pre/pro.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2014, 07:55 pm »
Don't forget to look at accessories4less.com too

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2014, 08:19 pm »
Anthem has some solid receivers out. With their great track record in the pre/pro arena, I'd give them a close look. I'm sure the built-in amps are very well made also.

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2014, 08:35 pm »
I would also look at the current upper end Yamaha units.  They are suprisingly very good sounding, with a ton of features, and a decent room correction features. 

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2014, 08:42 pm »
Pioneer's flagship is a bit higher than your budget but the next one down, http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-87 the Elite SC-87-9.2 is below by $500.
Love mine!

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2014, 08:43 pm »
Cannot shake my old job as a consulting salesperson...

How many channels do you run?
Do you use or desire room correction?
Do you have any brand allegiance?
All your speakers 8ohms?
1 or 2 subs?
Open to separates or desire an all in 1 receiver?
What is your video source?
Do you need more than 1 HDMI output?

OK, work mode off!   :P
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2014, 11:17 pm by mcgsxr »

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2014, 09:01 pm »
I would also look at the current upper end Yamaha units.  They are suprisingly very good sounding, with a ton of features, and a decent room correction features.

I own a first generation Yamaha Aventage RXA1000 receiver in my modest HT setup (bought in 2011 if I remember correctly) and have been very pleased with it. It sounds great and has been nothing but reliable. Note I intentionally went for the A1000 over the higher end Yamaha units and other brands with more bells and whistles, because I didn't need the bells and whistles (primarily redundant video processing).

milford3

« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2014, 12:05 am »
Cannot shake my old job as a consulting salesperson...

How many channels do you run?
Do you use or desire room correction?
Do you have any brand allegiance?
All your speakers 8ohms?
1 or 2 subs?
Open to separates or desire an all in 1 receiver?
What is your video source?
Do you need more than 1 HDMI output?

OK, work mode off!   :P

I run 5.1 channels
No brand allegiance
Room correction is preferred
All speakers are 8 ohms
One sub.
No separates
Video source is computer or cable TV
HDMI are my preferred out puts and in puts.  Four in and at least two out.

milford3

« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2014, 07:21 pm »
I decided on the Marantz SR 7008.  The unit has everything I need and then some.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR7008

Phil A

milford3

« Reply #12 on: 18 Sep 2014, 07:33 pm »
If a factory refurb is acceptable you can save yourself $ - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr7008/marantz-sr7008-9.2-network-home-theater-receiver-with-airplay/1.html

I did order from Accessories4less.  Factory refurds don't scare me.  Marantz gives you a one year warranty.

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 18 Sep 2014, 07:38 pm »
Cool! From what I've read,  Marantz makes some of the most musically pleasing HT receivers around. Good call on the refurb, too. If anything, this just guarantees that the unit is 100% good to go at a nice discount. :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 18 Sep 2014, 07:43 pm »
I did order from Accessories4less.  Factory refurds don't scare me.  Marantz gives you a one year warranty.

They don't scare me either (although some people won't buy them), I have 2 factory refurbs from them and about to go for a third probably in a couple of months just to do Dolby Atmos in a secondary system where I already have in ceiling surrounds and a nice pair of speakers (which sonically matches what I have) I can use for the side surrounds sitting around. I already have a 2-channel preamp with HT Bypass and a 2-channel amp in the system so I just want to try Atmos.  I have an old Marantz 6003 in there which I'll end up rotating to the office system.  I'm just waiting for Dolby Atmos titles to start rolling out over the next month or so.

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 18 Sep 2014, 09:58 pm »
Looks like that Marantz piece ticks all the boxes I asked about, and then some.  3 HDMI outputs!  Nice.

I understand that folks really like the XT32 version of Audyssy too.

I have had intermediate success with refurbs.  My Logitech 900 remote died, but they replaced it with a different model that does similar things.

FireGuy

« Reply #16 on: 18 Sep 2014, 11:03 pm »
Cool! From what I've read,  Marantz makes some of the most musically pleasing HT receivers around. Good call on the refurb, too. If anything, this just guarantees that the unit is 100% good to go at a nice discount. :thumb:

I'm liking the Marantz choice too Milford3.  Separates would have been a good choice also either from Emotiva or Outlaw.  Bottom line the Marantz is on order and let us know how it differs from your HK.  I have bought factory refirbs from Accessories4less (Boston Sub and Denon Amp) with good success.  Packaging alone is grade A.  You cannot tell the diff from new in box. 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #17 on: 19 Sep 2014, 03:47 am »
Another win for Marantz refurb via A4L.  Hard to go wrong, especially at their prices.  And if you need / want more power, you can use at the pre-outs with a HT amp.  Honestly aside from a used Anthem, or the Parasound multichannel analog preamp, nothing else has tempted me away from this Marantz refurb A4L option.

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
« Reply #18 on: 26 Sep 2014, 05:39 am »
Anthem has some solid receivers out. With their great track record in the pre/pro arena, I'd give them a close look. I'm sure the built-in amps are very well made also.

x2, I've owned all the brands, Anthem has earned a customer for life.  Best room correction too.

A word to the wise, Accessories for Less will charge you return shipping and restocking fee if the product is defective.  I refuse to work with companies like this that have not adopted modern return policies in this new age of customer service.

milford3

« Reply #19 on: 26 Sep 2014, 06:06 am »
x2, I've owned all the brands, Anthem has earned a customer for life.  Best room correction too.

A word to the wise, Accessories for Less will charge you return shipping and restocking fee if the product is defective.  I refuse to work with companies like this.

First off if the unit is defective you (the buyer) do not ship back to Accessories4less.  The warranty comes from Marantz.  If the unit is in defect you will ship the unit right back from the factory where it was shipped out of. :scratch: (with a one year warranty.)  Why would Marantz ship out a product (after full testing) that does not work?  :scratch: