The quality level of bass reproduction... exceeds any other...at any price.

WC

How would it work for home theater to have a sealed sub in the front and a pair of dual OB subs in the rear? It may work out best in my space to have my 2 channel setup at the back of the room with OB subs, so I was wondering about using them at the back of the room when playing movies.

jimbones

We have had this issue with running a pair of the SW-12-08FR drivers on the A370 amps. At that impedance level the amp does have the power to push the drivers to beyond X-Max with frequency ranges at or below 20Hz. So we have gone back to using a pair of the SW-12-16FR woofers instead. The amp still has the power to drive them to X-Max but not beyond. And for dual SW-12-08FR drivers we are recommending the HX300 amp.

ughhhh, I just completed a pair of H frames a few months ago and I was advised to use the 8 ohm version. Although I only play music not home theatre.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
ughhhh, I just completed a pair of H frames a few months ago and I was advised to use the 8 ohm version. Although I only play music not home theatre.

You’ll be fine. I have the 8 ohms in my dual H-Frames with A370 amps. Not even the lowest organ notes cause a problem. Nothing in music has ever overdriven the 8 ohm drivers.

The problem only happens when using the 8 ohm drivers in a home theater set up and then only if they are connected to the subwoofer output of the home theater receiver (AVR). As long as the 8 ohm OB drivers are connected to the left and right main channels of the AVR (either by using thr left and right main channel preamp outputs or by bi-wiring off the left and right binding posts) there will be no issues with the 8 ohm drivers in a home theater setup either.

So if your system is music only, no worries

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
I'm another with a dual 8 ohm H frame with the 370.  Mine is connected to a one of the outputs from my Dodd pre. I've never had an issue, but I don't push that rig that hard.  But I have pushed it on rare occasion with no issues. 

jimbones

You’ll be fine. I have the 8 ohms in my dual H-Frames with A370 amps. Not even the lowest organ notes cause a problem. Nothing in music has ever overdriven the 8 ohm drivers.

The problem only happens when using the 8 ohm drivers in a home theater set up and then only if they are connected to the subwoofer output of the home theater receiver (AVR). As long as the 8 ohm OB drivers are connected to the left and right main channels of the AVR (either by using thr left and right main channel preamp outputs or by bi-wiring off the left and right binding posts) there will be no issues with the 8 ohm drivers in a home theater setup either.

So if your system is music only, no worries

Whew good, only music. I always have the subsonic filters if need be.

Russell Dawkins

Since it is the 4 ohm load that the dual SW-12-08FRs presents that causes the bottoming issues while the 8ohm load of two SW-12-16FRs do not bottom, would using three SW-12-16GRs, which would be a 4 ohm load, have the bottoming issues with special effects?
It doesn't influence things too much, but 3 16Ω drivers in parallel would be 5.33Ω; 4 would be 4Ω.

Captainhemo

It doesn't influence things too much, but 3 16Ω drivers in parallel would be 5.33Ω; 4 would be 4Ω.

The Sw12 16FR's   are not a true 16 ohm load,  believe they are  betwen 12-13 ohms. So, you can't do 4  on a single  A370PEQ, if you want to do  4 or 6, you have to go to the  HX800.
The A370 does handle  3 in parallel   just fine

jay

rockdrummer

I have 08's that I got with 370 amps for super vs last year. What is the issue I need to be aware of?
Ben

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
I have 08's that I got with 370 amps for super vs last year. What is the issue I need to be aware of?
Ben

Ben,

The issue turns out to exist only under one particular situation with dual 8 ohm drivers and A370 amps. The issue occurs when the A370s are being fed by the low frequency effects channel of a home theater AVR. That is, when the A370s are connected to the subwoofer output of the AVR. Depending on the model of the AVR that channel could be labeled sub out, LFE, or .1. It is usually sub out. When connected like this, big special effects like explosions, earthquakes, star destroyers, etc. can cause the drivers to bottom out.

This issue does not occur in a two channel setup. Only in a multi-channel setup and then only when connected as I described above.

Mike

rockdrummer

Thanks Mike.

Audiogeek2

Thanks for the feefback all.
Iam surprised this ob sub cant do LFE from an AVR?? I cant think of another quality sub that will bottom out with a movie soundtrack played at usual home levels.
My intent is for music only. But, like an amplifier, I like some "headroom" with a sub.
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it sounds like it wont have enough low end output??

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Iam surprised this ob sub cant do LFE from an AVR?? I cant think of another quality sub that will bottom out with a movie soundtrack played at usual home levels.
My intent is for music only. But, like an amplifier, I like some "headroom" with a sub.
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it sounds like it wont have enough low end output??

I play my Super Vs really loud sometimes and they don't bottom out. Even with really low bass and pushing the limit of what my ears can take they won't bottom out. I do not listen to movie soundtracks thou but I'm guessing even then you would have to really be pushing the subs hard.

I've been communicating with Paul from Red Spade Audio after Mike from Miverna mentioned your speakers. He seemed pretty interested with the Idea of OB Servo Subs in an H frame with his PSE-144 Horn. He has only used sealed subs with it before as you probably know. 

Audiogeek2

I play my Super Vs really loud sometimes and they don't bottom out. Even with really low bass and pushing the limit of what my ears can take they won't bottom out. I do not listen to movie soundtracks thou but I'm guessing even then you would have to really be pushing the subs hard.

I've been communicating with Paul from Red Spade Audio after Mike from Miverna mentioned your speakers. He seemed pretty interested with the Idea of OB Servo Subs in an H frame with his PSE-144 Horn. He has only used sealed subs with it before as you probably know.

Sounds like a great project.  The AE drivers are very good and dig deep, I get flat output to 20Hz and good output below that. However, Iam a servo believer having used Rythmik subs before.
I understand the association with "speed" having used them with Nakamichi Dragon electrostats. They were the only subs that could keep up.
The point source horns have been described as electrostats on steroids. They have the speed and fluidity of a planar speaker, but with visceral impact. A fast servo sub upto 200-250Hz could be a special combination.

Shakeydeal

Not to hijack, but Greg, that is a REALLY nice room you have.

Shakey

mlundy57

• Industry Participant

If you are worried about AVR use the simple solution is to order the 16 ohm version of the drivers.

Danny Richie

Some movie sound tracks really jack up the output down low and can bottom out, or over drive a lot of good subs.

And a lot of our music lover like to use the 14Hz extension filter and low damping for music. And this is not a problem.

However, when playing some of those movies it is a good idea to turn on the rumble filter and change the extension filter to 20 or 28Hz. Increasing the damping to medium or high will help as well. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
To address the topic fully, the ultimate in home bass reproduction is in the use of garage sized concrete bass horns.

Danny Richie

To address the topic fully, the ultimate in home bass reproduction is in the use of garage sized concrete bass horns.

Well, if you are just going for SPL levels then that will do it.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Sounds like a great project.  The AE drivers are very good and dig deep, I get flat output to 20Hz and good output below that. However, Iam a servo believer having used Rythmik subs before.
I understand the association with "speed" having used them with Nakamichi Dragon electrostats. They were the only subs that could keep up.
The point source horns have been described as electrostats on steroids. They have the speed and fluidity of a planar speaker, but with visceral impact. A fast servo sub upto 200-250Hz could be a special combination.

I don't think you can go wrong with Servo Subs and Danny will take care of you for sure. I'd love to hear your horns someday but you are a long ways away. I do plan on going back to Australia again in a year or so. Maybe I could look you up. Of course I have no idea where you live, it is a pretty big place :lol:

Shakey, Thank you very much. It is a lot of fun having it for sure! I'm having another G2G on Feb. 24th which are always fun. Don't know where you live but you are welcome to come by. Guess I should add I live in the Seattle area.

Greg

Audiogeek2

Greg, Iam in northwestern Sydney. Look me up if your in town. If you go to Melbourne look up Paul Spencer for a demo.
Cheers