The quality level of bass reproduction... exceeds any other...at any price.

vinylvalet

Could you tell me specifically why this would be the case compared to the Rythmik Audio F12 direct servo subwoofer. Thanks.

Danny Richie

Could you tell me specifically why this would be the case compared to the Rythmik Audio F12 direct servo subwoofer. Thanks.

What is the comparison that you are wanting to make?

vinylvalet

The description of your Servo Sub kit 2 states, "The quality level of bass reproduction using this servo control system exceeds any other woofer and amp combination available by any company at any price." So, for example, in what technical and audible ways would this be true in comparison to the Rythmik Audio F12? Or at the upper end of the price range, the JL Audio Gotham v2? Thanks.

Danny Richie

Our Servo Sub Kit 2 and the Rythmik Audio F12 direct servo subwoofer use the same patented servo technology. It was the F12 the Brian Ding (of Rythmik Audio) first demo'ed to me several years ago to demonstrate the technology. There is nothing else like it.

Upon hearing it I recognized the additional potential of the technology and began working with Brian on a lighter weight paper cone version for the audiophile market, and versions for open baffle applications. The paper cone woofer offers a more natural sound and even faster settling rates. The details levels in low frequency ranges are unmatched.

From the Rythmik Audio site "For audiophiles looking for uncompromising accuracy, our F12G subwoofer is the ultimate choice."

The F12G model that they offer is the same system using our GR Research SW-12-04 woofer in a completed package, including the cabinet. We don't stock cabinets. Our focus is in the DIY segment of the market. So the same package is offered as a kit.

The JL Audio Gotham v2 is a monstrous power house designed to hit some really high SPL levels. But the drivers have no additional electrical stopping force. They rely only of the suspension of the driver to allow them to return to rest. The drivers also have a very heavy moving mass that will take a much longer time to return to rest after a long extrusion. So settling times are much higher.

In terms of quality it is not even a comparison.

As an example in playing back the hit of a large drum, at close to original SPL levels of the hit of the drum, the results are very different. With a conventional sub you hear the hit of the drum blended as a single boom. And details are covered over by the decay of the woofer. With the servo technology you hear the hit of the mallet on the skin of the drum and hear the actual decay of the drum and not the decay of the woofer recovering from the initial hit. The sound is very different.

It is a different level of performance that users of our subs can and often confirm.

vinylvalet

Thank you for your quick and detailed reply. A kit is what I'm looking for. Really lucky that I came across your subs, was just about to purchase the Rythmik kits. I'll be ordering a pair of your Servo Sub kit 2s along with some of your parts for another project I'm working on. Which lead me to one more question if you don't mind.

I'm building a pair of Pi Speakers Four Pi speakers (my amps are only 8W so I need fairly high efficiency) and want to include your cable tube connectors as well as No Rez. The plans call for adding R11 or R13 insulation. Would there be an additional benefit adding the No Rez? If so, would it be applied on all the inside surfaces? Thanks again.

Shakeydeal

I concur with Danny. I have owned several sub/sat combinations and more full range speakers than you could imagine. His OB subs have far better bass than anything I have owned before.

Shakey

vinylvalet

Thanks Shakey for your added vote of confidence. I'm sold.

Danny Richie

I'm building a pair of Pi Speakers Four Pi speakers (my amps are only 8W so I need fairly high efficiency) and want to include your cable tube connectors as well as No Rez. The plans call for adding R11 or R13 insulation. Would there be an additional benefit adding the No Rez? If so, would it be applied on all the inside surfaces? Thanks again.

That is a very dynamic speaker with good sensitivity. The tube connectors will improve clarity across the board. No Rez will tighten up the bass response and lower vocal region. It does this by damping out cabinet resonances. It is used on all interior walls that are also an outer wall. It is not used on braces.

vinylvalet

Thank you.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
vinylvalet, I bought two Rythmik F12G's in December - nice holiday discounted prices.  Rythmik Audio HQ and warehouse is here in Austin, and Brian delivered them to my house.  The construction is first-rate, cabinets VERY heavy and internally braced.  BTW, Rythmik customer support/service is tops - right up there with GR Research.

vinylvalet

Thanks Hank.

rockdrummer

Hope you don't mind my two cents. I owned a sunfire sub. Got it when i worked at audio king back in the day. Thought I had great bass until I started following this forum a few years ago.

I have the super v from GR Research with 2 12" servo open baffle subs on each side. As a band director and long time rock drummer, I can listen to kick drums for hours and get lost in how different they sound from one recording to the next. Not like that before, although the cds are all the same.
Funny how that happened...

Greatest bass ever.
Ben

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Hope you don't mind my two cents. I owned a sunfire sub. Got it when i worked at audio king back in the day. Thought I had great bass until I started following this forum a few years ago.

I have the super v from GR Research with 2 12" servo open baffle subs on each side. As a band director and long time rock drummer, I can listen to kick drums for hours and get lost in how different they sound from one recording to the next. Not like that before, although the cds are all the same. :scratch:
Greatest bass ever.
Ben

Yep, I've owned and also built some crazy bass subs and had friends with even crazier bass systems (infinite baffle subs).  I rarely make a statement like this, but in this case it's warranted - the dual 12 inch OB servo subs are the best bass I've heard, ever. 

vinylvalet

Thanks much Mr RockDrummer; as a rock bass and Hammond player, very valuable feedback. That's why I'm building the Four Pi speakers to go along with Danny's subs. Most of all I value effortless dynamics and organic timbres and am willing to give up some of the audiophile artifacts (ultimate detail, extension and imaging) to get it.

"although the cds are all the same"; dig, that's why my main system is vinyl only, all tubes (just six active gain stages between my phono cartridge and speakers). No computers, no screens. I call it my time machine. Yes, I'll be compromising the philosophy with the sub amps but that's an okay use of transistors.

vinylvalet

Thanks Tyson.

rockdrummer

I hope to make this more clear. I mean the same cds sound so much better with servo bass. Hope that made sense.
Ben

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Note also that we’re referring to the open baffle subs, not the sealed subs.  The sealed ones are very good but the open baffle ones are the ones that perform at the very highest level of quality.

THROWBACK

Let me put a big "AMEN" to what Tyson is saying. I have three GR Research 12" per side, in an OB configuration. I was listening to the Mahler 9th the other night (lots of deep bass from bass viols and an organ) and I was once again blown away by the quality of the bass: it growls; it has real texture; it is unstrained and undistorted with no overhang.

At the 2016 Capital Audiofest, I heard a system with SIX stacked woofers per side. And, I believe, Rich Hollis (Hollis Audio Labs) is building one as well. Really great, natural sound. 

Audiogeek2

Hi guys,
So are most people using this OB design for sub duties (<80Hz)? Or going higher?
Are there any measurements? Trying to work out how they would compare to sealed box versions (Rythmik)?

ebag4

I'll throw in my 2 cents regarding the OB servo subs in H frame.  I had them in my GR V1s, I gave the V1s to my son and built another pair of the servo subs for me.  The GR servo subs in OB are the best bass I have heard, I also have 4-15" AE sub drivers in infinite baffle driven by a 2400 watt behringer amp in my Home theater system, the GRs are my preference.  If you want to hear bass detail the GRs servos in OB are the way to go IMHO.

Best,
Ed