NX-Otica build thread.

THROWBACK

Re: NX-Otica build thread.
« Reply #60 on: 24 Jun 2016, 05:07 pm »
Danny,
I don't have Lo Rez lining the wings of my LS-9s.
Should I?

Danny Richie

« Reply #61 on: 24 Jun 2016, 06:05 pm »
Danny,
Should I?

Is this Chuck?

Ric Schultz

« Reply #62 on: 24 Jun 2016, 07:52 pm »
Danny,  That is a very cool number of posts.......11111.  It will only last a few minutes however.

Captainhemo

« Reply #63 on: 24 Jun 2016, 08:49 pm »
Danny,  That is a very cool number of posts.......11111.  It will only last a few minutes however.

Pretty attentive there Ric !!

Danny,
Should I?
Is that the OB pair of LS9's we saw pics of some time ago ? I don't think those had a short wing on the outside so there probably  isvery little , if any, preasure / resonense on the large wing,not sure no-rez would help  :scratch:

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #64 on: 24 Jun 2016, 09:25 pm »
Those are the LS-X line arrays.  They were really good with the 3x12 servo subs.

THROWBACK

« Reply #65 on: 24 Jun 2016, 10:43 pm »
Danny,

"is this Chuck?"

It is indeed.

Danny Richie

« Reply #66 on: 24 Jun 2016, 11:18 pm »
Danny,

"is this Chuck?"

It is indeed.

Okay,

Yeah, you really don't have LS-9's. You have a bit of a customized version of them.

Your wing is a single wing and won't have any pressure put on it. So covering it with No Rez is not likely to change anything.

THROWBACK

« Reply #67 on: 25 Jun 2016, 01:00 pm »
Danny,
Kinda what I thought, but I had to ask. Thanks.
Chuck

AKLegal

« Reply #68 on: 17 Jan 2017, 12:04 am »
I finished a pair of the MTM NX-Oticas.  I have no where near the woodworking talent of some folks on this board so no in process build pics.  Its a no brainer flat pack so you are not missing anything really. 

Here is one side next to a one of my Super Vs.

These ended up being much taller than I thought they would be.  IIRC I last measured them at 54 inches tall.  I sit about 11.5~12 feet away from my speakers so I decided to angle the MTMs forward a bit (1/2 inch higher in the rear) and they are on speaker spikes.  The Super Vs look smaller than they really are as they are set back a bit in the photo. 

They, being the NX-Oticas, sound phenomenal.  Until I heard the NX-Oticas the only speakers I would have traded the Super Vs without much thought for were these http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138878.msg1478779#msg1478779.  The Hawthorne OB 8s (crossover by Danny) are detail monsters.  I would encourage folks to hear them but Early B might be the only person to ever own a pair now that Hawthorne audio is gone.  The MTMs are equal to the OB 8s.  The OB 8s have a more detailed extended treble region but the NX-Otica's MTM config may give it a edge in the midrange.  (I havent heard the OB 8s since the last time I was over Early B's place a few months ago so TIFWIW).  In any event, the two sound way more alike than different.

The NX-Oticas have a rich and super detailed midrange and a very extended yet smooth treble region.  In comparison the Super Vs midrange is rich and robust but lacks the clarity of the MTMs.  The Super Vs treble is smooth and for the most part unoffensive but does not extend anywhere close to the open back Neo 3s. 

The Super Vs are not totally outclassed though.  There is just something special about them that I can't put a finger on.  It may just be due to the Coaxial configuration which immediately integrates the sound from the mid and tweeter.  You never get the sense that you are listening to two drivers.  This especially comes in handy for those of us with smaller rooms.  The Super Vs hit very hard and are a very addictive listen.

Anyway, the NX-Oticas are the new king in my house, but I am keeping the Super Vs.  I may build a table top version of the Super Vs so I can switch the pairs out whenever I get an itch for something different.

Of course a big thank you to Captainhemo for the great flat pack.

A couple more shots.

Captainhemo

« Reply #69 on: 17 Jan 2017, 12:30 am »
They look  great AKL , nicely done :beer:
Glad ot hear  you're  enjoying them....  did you build the networks  "stock" or did you  upgrade anything ?  Adding the platinum bypass caps  should give yo a bit more  upper detail / clarity if you are after  it
After reading yours and Mike's comments I'm  even more anxious to build out a pair .  We're supposed to get some warm weather, might have to break out the glue  :)

jay

ebag4

« Reply #70 on: 17 Jan 2017, 12:35 am »
Congrats AKL, they look great.  Thanks for the mini review.  I know what you are saying regarding the V series, although mine were V1s , they are an outstanding speaker, my son is getting mine.

Best,
Ed

AKLegal

« Reply #71 on: 17 Jan 2017, 01:22 am »
Danny modified a pair of Neo 3Ws for me and adjusted the crossover.  No special tweaks like bypass caps...Yet.

Early B.

« Reply #72 on: 17 Jan 2017, 01:28 am »
They, being the NX-Oticas, sound phenomenal.  Until I heard the NX-Oticas the only speakers I would have traded the Super Vs without much thought for were these http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138878.msg1478779#msg1478779.  The Hawthorne OB 8s (crossover by Danny) are detail monsters.  I would encourage folks to hear them but Early B might be the only person to ever own a pair now that Hawthorne audio is gone.  The MTMs are equal to the OB 8s.  The OB 8s have a more detailed extended treble region but the NX-Otica's MTM config may give it a edge in the midrange.  (I havent heard the OB 8s since the last time I was over Early B's place a few months ago so TIFWIW).  In any event, the two sound way more alike than different.

Awesome!!!!   8)

You have the speakers I was waiting to buy, but got impatient and jumped on the Hawthornes. No regrets, though, because I purchased my speakers based primarily on the crossover designer, so I'm not surprised that they sound more similar than different. They look great. The color works really well with the copper drivers. I'm sure you'll enjoy them for many years.   

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #73 on: 17 Jan 2017, 01:31 am »
Very nice indeed AK.

Are you using anything under the spikes?

Mike

Early B.

« Reply #74 on: 17 Jan 2017, 01:58 am »
Switch the speakers back and forth so that the long wing is on the inside/outside and see which option you prefer.

AKLegal

« Reply #75 on: 17 Jan 2017, 03:35 pm »
Very nice indeed AK.

Are you using anything under the spikes?

Mike

Just the metal disks that came with the spikes.  I am thinking about switching the spikes out from rubber feet though.  Its a pain to set the monitors perfectly on the spikes and I end up scratching the tops of the h-frames.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2017, 04:44 pm by AKLegal »

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #76 on: 17 Jan 2017, 09:15 pm »
Just the metal disks that came with the spikes.  I am thinking about switching the spikes out from rubber feet though.  Its a pain to set the monitors perfectly on the spikes and I end up scratching the tops of the h-frames.

Aonther option I used to good effect was a pair of Isoacoustic stands.  While they do raise the height of the monitor, they come with different size legs which can be angled down toward the listener.  The L8R-155 is good for up 35 pounds if I remember correctly and the L8R-200 are good up to 60 pounds.  They also have heavy duty ones which I have under my OB subs.  They're remarkably inexpensive considering how effective they are.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #77 on: 17 Jan 2017, 10:05 pm »

I have had good luck with Herbie's fat dots

Early B.

« Reply #78 on: 17 Jan 2017, 10:15 pm »

That's what I use, as well.

AKLegal

« Reply #79 on: 17 Jan 2017, 11:38 pm »

That's what I use, as well.

:thumb: Thanks for the unintended reminders.  I found 8 Herbies square fat dots I used with a pair of Volent Monitors a few years back.  They were buried in a box under a bunch of unused cables, connectors etc.