New-to-me A8 hemps and amplification

tlarwa

New-to-me A8 hemps and amplification
« on: 26 Nov 2015, 01:00 pm »
New to this circle (not to AC though)...

Heading to Chicago Sunday to pick up my first pair of Omegas ... A8's with hemp drivers and Skylan stands.  I'm anxious to put them through their paces in my listening room, and to see how they compare to my Mark Audio 12p-loaded Super Pensils.

Regarding amplification, I have two choices available to me; a rebuilt Fisher 400, which I believe is around 20w/ch (tubed) and a hand-built parallel single-ended 6s45p which pushes 1.5 glorious watts.  The PSE amp pushes my Pensils to comfortable levels in my 12x17 room, and I think the Mark Audio 12p's are a little less efficient (maybe 93dB?).  Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how the 2 compare with the A8's .... anyone venture a guess as to what I'll find?  Also, the Fisher has 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps.  If I'm not mistaken, the A8's are 6 ohm?  Would the 4 or 8 ohm taps be a better choice?

I plan on putting my Adire Audio Rava sub (12" sealed) back into the mix with these.  It's a very detailed sub, and while it can certainly roar with movies, I've found it to be a very accurate with music.  At some point I might keep my eyes open for one of the deep hemps, but that's not in the financial cards right now. 

I'll be sure to add a review of the A8's once I get a chance to run them through their paces. 

Tom

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: New-to-me A8 hemps and amplification
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2015, 02:15 pm »
The A8 are 6 ohms with the Visaton B200, with the Omega Hemp 8 ohms.
No harm in trying both 4 and 8 ohm taps.
The Hemps should be noticeably louder than the MA 12P.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2015, 11:46 pm »
If affordable tweaks that make a nice upgrade are of interest you may want to research Planet_10 and the phase plug mods for the Visaton b200. 

Not sure if users of aperiodic speakers do the mod, but I loved the difference in my set on open baffle. 

40-50 bucks and better imaging.  I posted about it here, likely in the open baffle circle. 

Requires a gut check moment to cut off the dust cap n the center but man did I love them after that. 

I have always wanted to hear the A8 due to my familiarity with the b200 on open baffle for 10 years. 

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2015, 11:55 pm »
He has the Omega Hemps with a whizzer cone, don't know if the Visatons were included.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138181.0

tlarwa

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2015, 04:18 am »
Nope, just the hemps.  And I've actually used the Planet10 plugs on a past project.  Nice product!