New X-Otica coming soon.

Danny Richie

Re: New X-Otica coming soon.
« Reply #20 on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:52 pm »
Danny, on your opening post you refer to the 4 M165 woofers, but link next to them is for the M130.  Which one are you thinking about using for the lower drivers?

... guess I should have clicked on it rather than just reading it, as it takes me to the M165's.  Odd, since the link says M130 :scratch:

That's what happens when I clone a page to create a new one. It keeps part of the name of the old page. If I would have known that at the time then I would have just started over and cut and pasted the stuff I wanted to import.

I am moving along on these by the way, and will have a pair up and playing real soon.

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:57 pm »
Hi Danny, any news on these?

My measurements of the MTM section looked great. Back on them this week...

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 27 Nov 2015, 11:53 pm »
I have a pair of these up and playing now. And I am using the lower section of some Super-7's to cover the bottom end.

I am almost speechless. These speakers sound beautiful. This is the best sound I have ever gotten from a pair of speakers without burn in. These things have just been hooked up and they are incredible. I meant to just listen for a few things and get an impression on tonal balance and the total room balance. I didn't stop listening for nearly two hours.

The vocal range is about as good as anything I have ever heard. Actually I'd say better than anything I have ever heard that didn't have open baffle Neo 10's in them.

And the bass is very solid and has a ton of body to it. They are really fast and clean in the lower ranges. Drums sound extremely real.

And I find myself just turning them up more and more. They don't give out, break up, compress, or overdrive the room even at high levels. They are just as smooth at all volumes. And the dynamics at high levels are a blast.

I'm stunned.  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 28 Nov 2015, 12:04 am »
Here are some measurements on them.

This is the on axis response. Yes, they are averaging 94db. And from 3kHz and down the are better than +/-1db.

Crossover slopes look great and everything is perfectly in phase. And I love that tweeter. Those things can play low real easy.

Here is the horizontal off axis. It looks great.

Even more impressive is how this speaker maintains a flat response even in the vertical off axis. This is exceptional.

The spectral decay is also extremely clean.

It is an easy impedance load too.

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 28 Nov 2015, 12:33 am »
I know, I know, this is crazy. I am using a $20,000 pair of Serenity Acoustics Super-7's for sub-bass. Only the servo subs are playing on them.

I am excited about these speakers. They haven't stopped playing since I turned them on.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #25 on: 28 Nov 2015, 01:51 am »
 Well Danny, if you're excited I'm excited. Did the cabinets work out as expected?  Anything need to be modified?

Danny Richie

« Reply #26 on: 28 Nov 2015, 01:52 am »
Well Danny, if you're excited I'm excited. Did the cabinets work out as expected?  Anything need to be modified?

Everything worked out great.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #27 on: 29 Nov 2015, 01:59 am »
Now that Danny has green-lighted cabinet design, I spent a little time fleshing out drawing...these will get built.

My intent with the cabinet "windows" was to give a framework for grills. Yeah, yeah, I know that grills mess with sound somewhat, but these will live in living room, with real world things like dust and grandkids. Don't fret, they will be removable and likely magnetically stored on side of cabinet.

And truth be told, I just don't want to be always looking at the insides of the box. Just doesn't sit well with my basement dwelling  troll mind, I guess 

I'm also thinking about some legs/outriggers, but that will have to wait...I'm hungry...

Early B.

« Reply #28 on: 29 Nov 2015, 03:02 am »
The windows are a great idea.

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 29 Nov 2015, 05:28 am »
Actually in this application I don't think the grills will have any effect.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #30 on: 29 Nov 2015, 09:48 am »
Now that Danny has green-lighted cabinet design, I spent a little time fleshing out drawing...these will get built.

My intent with the cabinet "windows" was to give a framework for grills. Yeah, yeah, I know that grills mess with sound somewhat, but these will live in living room, with real world things like dust and grandkids. Don't fret, they will be removable and likely magnetically stored on side of cabinet.

And truth be told, I just don't want to be always looking at the insides of the box. Just doesn't sit well with my basement dwelling  troll mind, I guess 

I'm also thinking about some legs/outriggers, but that will have to wait...I'm hungry...

I think the grills look great :thumb:

I keep my grills on the Super V's, I've taken them off and it does make a difference in sound but not that much and I just don't like looking at the subs facing different directions. I also have the grill on the back like the Super 7's and really like the finished look. Actually my speakers look a lot like Danny's Super 7's but I don't have the feet, like my Daughter used to say about certain foods when she was little "I can't like it"

Good Job everyone involved in these, they are nice!

Guy 13

« Reply #31 on: 29 Nov 2015, 12:57 pm »
Another great speakers designed by Mr. Danny.
Nice looking and also sounding I am sure.
Small diameter cones equal faster response.
Even if my speakers don't have grills,
I still prefer grills,
it makes the speakers looks more like a finish product.
Congratulation Danny, you've created another winner.

Guy 13

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #32 on: 30 Nov 2015, 06:17 pm »
I might be interested in just MTM section as I already have the OB subs.  I hate to say it but I'm also still leaning towards getting a pair of Maggie MMG's for my main rig.  I'm just waiting to find a buyer for some of my current speakers.  If anyone close to Chicago is interested in Danny's X-series speakers then shoot me a PM.  Gotta lose some old before I get any new.

NeilT

« Reply #33 on: 30 Nov 2015, 06:30 pm »
The grills look great, just curious, did you think about putting them on the front also?

Danny, how do these speakers compare to the OB7's?

Thanks

Neil

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 30 Nov 2015, 06:31 pm »
I might be interested in just MTM section as I already have the OB subs.  I hate to say it but I'm also still leaning towards getting a pair of Maggie MMG's for my main rig.  I'm just waiting to find a buyer for some of my current speakers.  If anyone close to Chicago is interested in Danny's X-series speakers then shoot me a PM.  Gotta lose some old before I get any new.

I'd still recommend the full speaker. The standard M-165 woofers aren't that much more and they allow the crossover point to be MUCH lower and makes integration much easier and more seamless.

And I have listened to them both ways and the and it clearly sounds better with the lower four woofers.

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 30 Nov 2015, 06:34 pm »
The grills look great, just curious, did you think about putting them on the front also?

Thanks

Neil

The Neo 3 is a favorite tweeter of mine. In an open baffle it is a completely different tweeter. But with the rear cup it is only marginally better then the T26SG in several areas. The Neo is better, but not by a lot. It is easy to live with either.

In all other areas the new X-Otica kills it. It is in a completely different league.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #36 on: 30 Nov 2015, 07:46 pm »
  Danny looking good again. What is the frequency response ? how low do they go [ -3db] ? Thanks.

charles

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #37 on: 30 Nov 2015, 09:57 pm »

Thanks

Neil

As a matter of fact

Just hadn't gotten there yet! And some legs too.

I'd like to try some wire frame grills and new veneering techniques. So I'm thinking baffle will be veneered and box painted, but unsure what color.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 30 Nov 2015, 10:25 pm »
Looks like a significant bump in the presence region (6-8K). That may prove out to be a difficult amp to speaker match up, don't you think? That is a very sensitive part of the hearing, and being tipped up there may be tough to overcome...

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 30 Nov 2015, 10:39 pm »
Looks like a significant bump in the presence region (6-8K). That may prove out to be a difficult amp to speaker match up, don't you think? That is a very sensitive part of the hearing, and being tipped up there may be tough to overcome...

Nope, that 1db rise is very minor and drops off evenly in the off axis horizontally and vertically. Keep in mind these are 5db lines. From about 17kHz and down these are within +/-2db. And these are very easy to drive. I am driving them with some 8 watt chip amps even.