Fet Valve CF Preamp

Factorz

Fet Valve CF Preamp
« on: 20 May 2016, 01:08 am »
I've always been a fan of Frank's work and while I had no intention of moving away from my current pre I couldn't resist pulling the trigger when I came across a used unit. Only been a couple days, but my first impression is wow! Super happy with my decision and kudos to Frank for building such a nice preamp. He was also really quick about answering my questions about a unit I didn't even buy directly from him.

Has anyone done any tube rolling with this unit? Nothing I'm thinking of doing soon, but would welcome any owners input. Thanks.

avahifi

Re: Fet Valve CF Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2016, 01:58 pm »
When TAS reviewed the Fet Valve CF preamp, they did use premium NOS tubes.  We were not too wild about that.

When they returned the preamp to me I asked for the loan of these tubes so I could evaluate them here.

I set up two identical Fet Valve CF preamps in our ABX switcher, one with our stock JJ tubes, the other with the NOS set that had been used in the review.

With levels matched nobody here could hear any difference at all between the two preamps on any program material or when driving different speakers and power amplifiers.

Both sounded great in all conditions of use here.

Because our tube preamps have separate regulated power supplies for each plate of each tube, circuits that don't drive the tubes to their limits, regulated heater supplies, and even isolated ground plains for each section of the preamps, high voltage, low voltage, and audio, the tubes are not worked nearly as hard as in other preamps.  We suspect that when tubes are pushed really hard that there will be more difference in the way various brands behave than in an Audio by Van Alstine preamplifier.

We allow the tube to gracefully do what we what it to do, not what it does when asked to do too much.

No problem with tube rolling, its just that it won't buy you much with our equipment, the musical quality is built in, not something that will change much with tweaking.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Factorz

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2017, 06:42 pm »
Well it looks like my AVA collection has grown as I am now the happy owner of Frank's Ultravalve. A little bit of a backstory that shows Frank's great customer service. I picked this up second hand and unfortunately out the box had a issue. Turns out one of the tubes had a locating pin that was broken and it caused some issues.  I called Frank and while he did his best over the phone to help it had to be sent it. Frank wasted little time getting to his best tech and the turnaround time was short and the cost was manageable.  It was really nice to be able to just call and get Frank each time and even when I emailed he was quick to respond.

Anyway its back and last night I got my first chance to listen and I really enjoyed it. I pale in comparison to some of the people on here who write great reviews so all I will say is I'm really happy and expect it to only get better. Thank you Frank for your customer service and putting out a great amp.

For owners what have you done in terms of tube rolling? I'm going to give it sometime before I try anything, but would love to hear any success you have had. Thanks.

Hydro

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2017, 08:08 pm »
Factorz, I like the GE 6G48A tubes and 6ca7 power tubes.

RPM123

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2017, 11:05 pm »
Well it looks like my AVA collection has grown as I am now the happy owner of Frank's Ultravalve. A little bit of a backstory that shows Frank's great customer service. I picked this up second hand and unfortunately out the box had a issue. Turns out one of the tubes had a locating pin that was broken and it caused some issues.  I called Frank and while he did his best over the phone to help it had to be sent it. Frank wasted little time getting to his best tech and the turnaround time was short and the cost was manageable.  It was really nice to be able to just call and get Frank each time and even when I emailed he was quick to respond.

Anyway its back and last night I got my first chance to listen and I really enjoyed it. I pale in comparison to some of the people on here who write great reviews so all I will say is I'm really happy and expect it to only get better. Thank you Frank for your customer service and putting out a great amp.

For owners what have you done in terms of tube rolling? I'm going to give it sometime before I try anything, but would love to hear any success you have had. Thanks.

Sophia Electric™ EL34-ST tubes are a vast improvement over the stock tubes. Not cheap, but they sound so good and they are stated to be "long life" tubes.

http://www.sophiaelectric.com/

Hydro

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2017, 12:21 am »
Sorry, I looked at my amp and I switched to Gold Lion Kt77.