Tubelab SimpleSE

wushuliu

Re: Tubelab SimpleSE
« Reply #20 on: 25 Mar 2011, 05:41 pm »
Well the magic couldn't last forever. I built the dual driver monitors and had to contend with transport issues so readjustments had to be dealt with to get those up to snuff. The amp sounded great throughout but that initial wow factor tempered until I could spend more time on it once the everything else was realigned. In the meantime I increased the current to the power tubes and tried out 6l6s and El34. The russian 6p3se's sound terrific!... Finally had some time this week so I increased driver current to accommodate 12bh7 tubes since I have a bunch. That cleaned up the sound a good amount. Then replaced radio shack fuse with acme audio. This always guarantees a step up from cheap fuses and it didn't fail here. Those changes brought the magic and then some with the new speaker setup. Topped off with vhaudio airlok DIY cables. Amps promise is fulfilled. Delivery is smooth as silk and clarity and depth are beyond my expectations.

wushuliu

« Reply #21 on: 25 Mar 2011, 06:24 pm »
Cleaned up some of the writing above - I was texting at the time. Also forgot to mention that a Felix was added to the amp last night, but I can't say just yet what effect it's had. Certainly not a bad one.

wushuliu

« Reply #22 on: 29 Mar 2011, 07:06 am »
Got rid of the inrush current limiter. I felt the sound suffered a little when I installed it and now after tossing it I am sure of it (my effusive first impressions were before the limiter was installed).

This is by far my most rewarding project to date. Just about got tears in my eyes  :smoke:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 29 Mar 2011, 11:45 am »
Lets see some new pictures!

Pez

« Reply #24 on: 29 Mar 2011, 09:49 pm »
Ya wush! That's what I'm talking about! The SSE is astoundingly great, now do what jwt says and post some completed pics.  :o

wushuliu

« Reply #25 on: 30 Mar 2011, 12:22 am »
Ya wush! That's what I'm talking about! The SSE is astoundingly great, now do what jwt says and post some completed pics.  :o

:lol: Ok, I'll put some up later but it's not much to look at!

wushuliu

« Reply #26 on: 1 Apr 2011, 05:30 am »
Used a Par-metal enclosure that's been around the block w/ other amp projects:

Pez

« Reply #27 on: 1 Apr 2011, 03:27 pm »
Looks like a freaking tank! Don't tell anyone it's only pushing 5 watts.  :lol:

wushuliu

« Reply #28 on: 16 Apr 2011, 10:26 pm »
Swapped out the Mundorf Silver/Oil for ClarityCap MR (Mundorfs are terrific but MR just disappear). All speaker and IC wire replaced with VHAudio Airlok (which frickin' is amazing BTW). Walker SST on all connections including inside the amp. This amp just gets better and better. It's at warp speed level now. You'd have to pry this setup out of my cold dead hands.

Surprisingly I am not sold on the Herbie's tube dampers for the power tubes and 50-50 on driver tube. Oh well, good to have reality check on tweaks.

Pez

« Reply #29 on: 16 Apr 2011, 11:28 pm »
This amp is so quiet that the dampers seem to have less of an effect IMO. I still use them, but it's not the extreme difference you'd hear using herbies on another product.

All in all Im very happy with my Jensen copper oil caps. I've heard great things about the mundorfs, but I have little to no desire to start cap rolling.

ebag4

« Reply #30 on: 18 Apr 2011, 03:53 pm »
Pez/Wush,
Are the caps you mentioned input coupling caps?  If so is there any reason (other than fitting the board properly) that I couldn't use a larger value?  I have a pair of 2.2uF Obbligatos here and what may be one of the last pairs of the Amp Ohm FE-XAL-AL 630VDC Polyester in Oil aluminium foil (see humble homade Hifi review below) being shipped from the Netherlands, I am hoping these live up to the hype and would love to give them a shot in the Simple SE. 

I have a thread concerning an amp to build for my V1s and between the reactions of you both I believe you have convinced me this is the amp I should builld!

Amp Ohm FE-XAL-AL 630VDC Polyester in Oil aluminium foil - 10% tolerance

Technical Specifications (according to manufacturer): "Ampohm Audio Capacitors are specially designed for high performance audio systems. These polyester film capacitors are hand wound using high purity aluminium foil and have their leads hand soldered before being assembled and hermetically sealed in an aluminium housing with phenolic resin and rubber end discs.The 1.0mm diameter tinned copper lead out wires are solder sealed to the eyelets in the end discs This construction results in these components being ideally suited for use as coupling capacitors or as replacements for components in existing designs. Line on label denotes outer foil."

Sound: The Amp Ohm polyester-in-oil alumnium foil is overall very coherent and neutral. This type has a pleasent midrange-highlight when in direct comparison to the Ampohm paper-in-wax alumnium foil type. The polyester-in-oil is very rich and extremely good in retrieving ambient information such as room or hall acoustics. Music is presented in a natural and full-bodied manner. Compared to the Duelund VSF-Cu copper-foil the image is more "see through". Compared to the Mundorf Silver-Gold-Oil the presentation is richer, especially noticable on massed strings or large vocal works. On small jazz-trio's etc the Silver-Gold-Oil high-lights micro detail a little more but doesn't quite reach the same level of overall coherence the polyester-in-oil does so well.

Verdict: 12+

Best,
Ed

Pez

« Reply #31 on: 18 Apr 2011, 06:50 pm »
The caps are coupling caps between the driver tube and output tube. While you can put anything over 400 vdc in the amp YOU CANNOT screw around with the value of the capacitance. The SSE coupling cap is .22 uF. If you put anything else in you'll see fireworks or get really bad sound. maybe you can trade your 2.2 for a .22?

wushuliu

« Reply #32 on: 18 Apr 2011, 08:04 pm »
There's a little leeway with the coupling values (you can go lower than .1 or .22 but you'll start attenuate low end) but as Pez said 2.2uf is not a good idea.Not to mention those Ampohms are HUGE (4in.x2in. long!!!) and METAL =

:bomb:

ebag4

« Reply #33 on: 18 Apr 2011, 10:31 pm »
Pez/Wush,
Thanks for the responses.  I actually bought the caps for my self moded T-amp so no worries.  The .22 should be substatially less!

Thanks again,
Ed

Pez

« Reply #34 on: 19 Apr 2011, 01:27 am »
These ampohms seem to be all the rage. Maybe I'll give them a shot since I can't get the scratch for some duelands. Wushuliu, are you planning on doing some more cap rolling or are you happy with the claritycaps?

wushuliu

« Reply #35 on: 19 Apr 2011, 03:12 am »
These ampohms seem to be all the rage. Maybe I'll give them a shot since I can't get the scratch for some duelands. Wushuliu, are you planning on doing some more cap rolling or are you happy with the claritycaps?

Extremely happy w/ the MRs, JonL's review describes them well. No coloration, windexed window pane clarity which I favor. The Ampohm Copper PIO is tempting to me just to hear what that midrange 'glow' is like. I've used Ampohm Aluminum PIOs in other projects. They are great and very affordable. Probably a good thing to buy a couple actually just to have on hand since they are no longer in business and stock is running out. But better than your Jensens? Tough call..

mgalusha

« Reply #36 on: 19 Apr 2011, 07:25 pm »

You have heard them... at least their affect. I have the copper ones in my 211 SET's. :)

Pez

« Reply #37 on: 19 Apr 2011, 09:21 pm »
I know, but my super senses don't remember what you coupling caps sound like. I remember very clearly what your power supply caps and resistors sound like, but not the Ampohms.  :P

ebag4

« Reply #38 on: 20 Apr 2011, 06:50 pm »
I recieved the Ampohms and now have them serving input coupling cap duty to my T-amp.  These things are enormous (think red bull can).  With little to no burn in I would say that these cap have the most clarity of any cap I have used (granted, not a huge variety).  I had the Jensen PIOs in this amp at one time and although audio memory is a fading thing the difference between the Ampohms and the Jensens is substantial (relatively speaking), the Jensens presented a much warmer presentation, the Ampohms, at least so far, are much less warm and more detailed.

The Jensens worked really well with the T-amp, the jury is still out regarding the Ampohms.

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #39 on: 4 May 2011, 05:50 pm »
Update, the AmpOhms have settled in and now have more meat on the bones still with that great clarity.  Not as liquid or romantic as the Jensens in the same amp.

Wush, I was looking in the classifieds for SET amp part and I saw your thread with the output transformers.  What transformers did you end up with for the Simple SE?  Did you try the units you sold?

Thanks,
Ed