buying my first digital download...question....

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
buying my first digital download...question....
« on: 27 Feb 2014, 02:36 am »
Hello All,
I have been steadily ripping my music into a hard drive, to get myelf discless. I'm not much of a computer guy, so this is a big accomplishment for me :). Now I want to start downloading Hirez music from the sites I have read about here. My questions are..

are there lousy 192/24 downloads? I mean, just 'cause it says 192/24, how do you know it's going to sound good? Could it be just a cd, ripped into a hi rez format, or from a master etc...is there any way to know if the music is from tape, or just redigitized etc? I'm sure all of us at some time bought into a remaster of some sort, only to be disappointed by the sound. Is there any recourse if you don't like the sound of the file?  OK, losts of questions, but I have for instance, Thriller, on CD, SACD and now I heard that the 176/24 sounds better so I might try to re-buy the music, same with Nora Jones etc...I have a bunch of music in wish lists, but I'd to spend more $$$ and be disappointed....Thanks in advance for your replies. Pete

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: buying my first digital download...question....
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2014, 02:44 am »
Pete, you just described the intent and discussion history of this Circle.  But to answer your main questions: no, 24/192 ensures no better recording than Hidef tv ensures a funnier sitcom or a better drama plot, or that BluRay will make a poor movie into a classic.  Great recordings on redbook sound better than lousy masters on 24/192.  All things being equal (which they never are) hirez is better due to more music content per inch.  But to your advantage, there is about 5 years of Hirez music discussion history on this Circle, so browse your hearts content.

Oh, and your DAC has a sweetspot, so in many cases you may want to max out any sample rate buying to that sweetspot, whatever it is.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
Re: buying my first digital download...question....
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2014, 03:04 am »
Thanks Ted! I am spending alot of time on the AC of late! This is a great place to learn and I appreciate the input of yourself and others that post here. It's been a great way to get myself launched into Hi Rez discless life. It is nice not to have to get up every 20 minutes to change a disc. With my short attention span, I usually listen to two or three songs per disc, and then I change, so to be able to get high quality music sorted through a tablet without leaving the sweetspot is great! Thank you!