Bryston power conditioners

R. Daneel

Bryston power conditioners
« on: 26 Jun 2015, 12:22 pm »
Hello!

What is the current line of Bryston power conditioners apart from the BIT-5, 15 and 25?

I know there's been some talk about other models but I don't see them on Bryston website. I would need something of equal quality but perhaps smaller to cater for the needs of BDP-1, BDA-2 and BHA-1. It would also need to have surge protection.

Torus transformers aren't available in Croatia but Bryston could be bought through their dealer here so that's why I'm asking.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Antun

Rod_S

Re: Bryston power conditioners
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2015, 01:03 pm »
Yeah, no mention of all the available models and options on the website. The newest additions were the 45 and 60, so monster sized units.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2015, 02:45 pm »
Hi Folks,

Here are the latest units available in North America:

Bryston Isolation Transformers

Single Phase Input - 120V in - 120V Out

Model #   

BIT-5    
Single 5 Amps/120V/60Hz - 2U         

BIT-15   
Single 15 Amps/120V/60Hz - 2U         

BIT-20   Single 20
Amps/120V/60Hz - 3U         

OPTIONAL    
Power Cord for 20 Amp Unit to 15 Amp Wallplug    

IS Series Single Phase Input - 120V

BIT-IS-5   
IS Series Single 5 Amps/120V/60Hz - 2U         

BIT-IS-15   
IS Series Single 15 Amps/120V/60Hz -2U         

BIT-IS-20   
IS Series Single 20 Amps/120V/60Hz - 3U      

Balanced Dual Phase Input - 240V In - 120V Out

BIT-20 BAL   
Balanced 20 Amps/240V/60Hz - 3U         

BIT-45 BAL   
Balanced 45 Amps/240V/60Hz - 4U         

BIT-60 BAL   
Balanced 60 Amps/240V/60Hz - 4U   

Wall Mount - NEMA Versions - 240V In - 120V Out

BIT-WM-60 BAL   
Balanced 60 Amps/240V/60Hz - ONWALL         

BIT-WM-100 BAL   
Balanced 100 Amps/240V/60Hz - ONWALL   

Automatic Voltage Regulation 120V In - 120V Out

BIT-AVR-15   
Single 15 Amps/120V/60Hz - 2U         

BIT-AVR-20   
Single 20
Amps/120V/60Hz - 4U       

Balanced Dual Phase Input - 240V In - 120V Out

BIT-AVR-45   
Single 45 Amps/240V/60Hz - 5U         

BIT-AVR-60   
Single 60 Amps/240V/60Hz - 5U         
Power Switch option BLUE OR GREEN

AVAILABLE IN 17" BLACK OR SILVER or BLACK RACKMOUNT PRO FACEPLATES

WARRANTY : 5 Years

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2015, 02:52 pm »
Bryston BIT Isolation Transformer Motivation

The concern Bryston had with a lot of power line conditioners available in the market was that many of them could restrict the current available to the amplifier. An amplifier can draw very high peak current, and wants to 'see' a very low impedance high current source from the power line. In fact, we even stated in our owners manuals not to plug our amplifiers into power conditioners. The Transformer based line conditioners we tested were too small to supply the peak current required and many of them were just Filters and did not provide Isolation -(Isolation means there is no mechanical connection between the outside power grid and your inside system power supply).

Also most of the surge protection was done using MOV’s, which are sacrificial and eventually will be destroyed with repeated spikes. Other issues with these MOVs is that they allow much more voltage through before they reacted (typically 300 volts and higher) and they shunt the voltage spikes to ground.

So we decided to try and develop a powerline Conditioner, Isolation and Protection unit that would not have the restrictions of the many units currently on the market from an amplifier performance perspective.

Benefits of Bryston BIT Power Isolation Units:

Benefit #1: Very low source impedance and high current for the power amplifier
BRYTSTON  power isolation units present low impedance to any electronic device that is connected to them. A Single 20 amp Bryston PIU has an output impedance of 0.2 ohms and can deliver 400 amp peaks (instantaneous current). The 100 amp unit only has .04 Ohms of output impedance. A typical 200 watt audio power amplifier demands 10 amps RMS current from a 120 volt line (1200VA) but may demand up to 50 amp instantaneous peaks. The standard residential wall receptacle can't supply the 50 amp peaks because they typically have higher nominal impedance. A Bryston 20 amp PIU plugged into the same wall plug can supply these peak current requirements quite easily.

Benefit #2: Power surge protection using Series Mode Surge Suppression rather than MOV's
The Bryston power products use the finest, most elaborate surge suppression technology available. Series Mode Surge Suppression does not shunt the spike to ground like MOV's do, and therefore the ground is infinitely more stable in a Bryston power device. Additionally, most MOV-based surge suppression units allow as much as 300 volts through to the protected components, easily enough to do substantial damage, where as Bryston surge suppression has clamping voltage onset of around 2V above peak nominal voltage. Torus units are built to meet 6000 volts, 3000 amps at 1000 repeats standard.

Benefit #3: Total isolation from outside power grid
Bryston power products provide isolation through its finest designed toroidal transformer between the outside power grid and the devices being protected. Such isolation helps to reject external noise sources such as motors, lights, and dimmers commonly found in the home environment. Bryston power products provide noise filtering at a range from approximately 2000Hz to over 1MHz – other regular transformer based products do not start operating until nearly 10,000 Hz.

Benefit #4: High Power Capability
There are 15 models of Bryston power products available ranging from 2.5 amps to 100 amps and 120/240 Volts. Bryston has recently introduced NEMA wall-mount units, which are typically placed at the hydro panel for whole-house or whole-room power line isolation and protection.

Benefit# 5: Low Noise
Bryston BIT products utilize ‘LONO’ (Low Noise) transformer design technology that eliminates audible noise in the power transformer regardless of line conditions, DC offset and over-voltage. Bryston products perform at the NC10 level measured on the standard NC (Noise Criteria) – which makes them suitable for use in very quiet environments such as professional recording and broadcast studios.

Benefit # 6: Cleaner Power
Bryston BIT products utilize “NBT” (Narrow Bandwidth Technology) to attenuate differential and common-mode noise without external circuits or components, and starting at a lower corner frequency (2Khz) than other systems. The Bryston result is startling – see press and user comments!

Benefit # 7: AVR (optional automatic voltage regulation)
The new feature is Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR). The AVR would make sure that the output voltage of the unit stays uniform within an acceptable range when the input voltage is either increased from or dropped below the acceptable range.The purpose is to keep the output voltage uniform when the input voltage varies over a wide range from 130V to 95V for the North American models and 260V to 190V for the International models and to shut the system down if the input voltage goes above 135V or below 90V for North American models and above 270V or below 180 for the International models.

James Tanner,
Bryston

Rod_S

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2015, 03:04 pm »
Ah cool, you now have wall units.

Are the power units considered analog devices? I assume the warranty is only 5 years and not 20 because that's all Torus could warrant the parts for?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2015, 03:10 pm »
Ah cool, you now have wall units.

Are the power units considered analog devices? I assume the warranty is only 5 years and not 20 because that's all Torus could warrant the parts for?

Correct - Torus only allows 5 years.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2015, 04:36 pm »
Any pics of the new units you could share?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2015, 07:15 pm »
Hi Rod,

Here is a shot of the 17 inch 20 Amp AVR version with Blue power switch and display:

james

Rod_S

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2015, 08:09 pm »
Thanks James

Whoa! That's quite the departure from the previous faceplates. These have more of the Torus feel than the Bryston look we have become used to over the years. It's cool to finally get a look at a AVR unit as well.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2015, 09:14 pm »
Thanks James

Whoa! That's quite the departure from the previous faceplates. These have more of the Torus feel than the Bryston look we have become used to over the years. It's cool to finally get a look at a AVR unit as well.

Yes with all the new models it is much more cost effective to share with Torus.

james

guyguay

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2015, 09:50 pm »
Yes with all the new models it is much more cost effective to share with Torus.

james

Hi James Is it mine bought at SON ULTIME 3 months ago ?

Martin

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2015, 10:07 pm »
Hi James Is it mine bought at SON ULTIME 3 months ago ?

Martin

Hi Martin - could be - it left today.

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2015, 07:39 am »
Yeah, that looks to be the Torus face plate. I kinda miss the uniform look they used to have that matched all of Bryston's other equipment.  :(

Is "Bryston" engraved into the plate or screened on?

Are the new plates on all the BITs or just the AVR series?

- Garrett

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2015, 09:44 am »
Yeah, that looks to be the Torus face plate. I kinda miss the uniform look they used to have that matched all of Bryston's other equipment.  :(

Is "Bryston" engraved into the plate or screened on?

Are the new plates on all the BITs or just the AVR series?

- Garrett

Hi Garrett

The logo is engraved - all the new series has this look and the faceplates are much thicker to handle rack mounting as well.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2015, 10:42 am »

I feel the same, hands down I prefer the former look as it matched everything else, particularly the amps.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 8 Jul 2015, 08:23 pm »
Hi James

Got my BIT 20 AVR this morning.

I put it on the bathroom scales and they read 89lbs.

I've attached a couple of pictures of the unit. 

I'd like to add too that I like the updated design.  I had actually preferred the design of the Torus AVR (the faceplate and the little voltage in/out window) but regardless of that I wanted to get the unit from Bryston.  So, the fact that the two designs have come together like this is really great.

I wrestled the unit into the cabinet but won't get to start listening to it until perhaps tonight.  In a week or so I'll send you a note with my impressions.  I'm really excited about it though.

Cheers,

John

audio.bill

« Reply #16 on: 8 Jul 2015, 09:07 pm »
James - On the AVR models, how is the voltage being regulated? i.e. some designs use multiple tapped transformers driven by stepping motors, others ferro-resonant transformers, etc. How closely is the output regulated, for example 120V with +/- 1V? Is there any audible noise produced from the unit when regulating the voltage? I checked on the website but couldn't find this information, hence my questions directed to you. TIA for your time and support!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2015, 03:59 pm »
James - On the AVR models, how is the voltage being regulated? i.e. some designs use multiple tapped transformers driven by stepping motors, others ferro-resonant transformers, etc. How closely is the output regulated, for example 120V with +/- 1V? Is there any audible noise produced from the unit when regulating the voltage? I checked on the website but couldn't find this information, hence my questions directed to you. TIA for your time and support!

The voltage is regulated between 85V to 135V with a continuous output of 120V +/- 5V. The is no audible noise from the voltage regulation except when it switches due to a fluctuation on the mains.

james

patrickm

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2015, 05:38 pm »
This "except when it switches" was a deal breaker for me.  I found it very frustrating to be enjoying my music [at lower volumes] and then having this noise break the mood.  In the end, I just switched to the regular conditioner and have been happy since [well, since my local power company figured out their issues].  Excellent product.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 10 Jul 2015, 06:12 pm »