VPI Classic maintenance question

Scottdazzle

VPI Classic maintenance question
« on: 2 Jan 2011, 12:43 am »
I own a VPI Classic that probably needs a little lubrication.  The manual says, "After at least one year of use, the platter bearing and motor will need to be lubricated. For the platter bearing use 1/4 teaspoon of white lithium grease placed on the ball. For the motor, use 1 drop of 40-weight motor oil below the brass piece."

This is probably stupid, but can anyone tell me where to get  a drop of 40-weight motor oil?  I've been looking online and have found sewing machine oil, turbine oil, wd-40, shaver oil, etc. but nothing that is specifically 40 weight.  It needs to have an applicator or nozzle to fit into a small space.  Any suggestions????   
 :wtf:

bside123

Re: VPI Classic maintenance question
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2011, 12:52 am »
Hi: You might consider contacting George Merrill at the Analogue Emporium. George is located just outside of Nashville and is one of the world's foremost authorities on turntables, etc. He sells a very small bottle of lubricant that he specifically designed for turntable bearings. I have more than one turntable, including a VPI, and I use his lubricant which is excellent. Hope this helps: http://www.gmanalog.com/

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2011, 12:55 am »
You're looking for SAE 40W oil - try a hardware or auto parts store for the oil and get a cheapie eyedropper.

Sonny

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2011, 01:05 am »
You're looking for SAE 40W oil - try a hardware or auto parts store for the oil and get a cheapie eyedropper.

Yep, that's what I use, but I prefer Mobile 1 Full Synthetic!
T

Scottdazzle

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2011, 01:25 am »
Thanks guys. It seems crazy to me to buy a quart of motor oil so I can use 1 drop!  There has to be a better way.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2011, 02:00 am »
Do you know anybody with an older Harley?  They'll have straight 40 kicking around. 
I don't think using 10W40 would hurt any, though. 

bside123

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2011, 02:00 am »
Thanks guys. It seems crazy to me to buy a quart of motor oil so I can use 1 drop!  There has to be a better way.

That's why I sent you Merrill's link. I think he sells his formula in an amount of less than 1 ounce.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2011, 02:44 am »
You'll probably spend a helluvalot more for 1 ounce of it than you would for a whole quart at Autozone.

Toni Rambold

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2011, 03:01 am »
Hi Scott,

... recommended by Ferrari for high speed racing:

What's good for your car is good for your turntable ...  :lol:

Happy New Year

orthobiz

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2011, 03:09 am »
Hi Scott,

... recommended by Ferrari for high speed racing:

What's good for your car is good for your turntable ...  :lol:

Happy New Year

Yeah, 0 to 33.3 in 1/100th of a revolution! vroom vroooooooooom

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2011, 03:19 am »
I use Slick 50 for all my tables. One quart will cost under $10 and will last for ever. You can get it at NAPA or Wally World, many places.

Wayner

Scottdazzle

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2011, 05:27 pm »
Thanks again guys and Toni.  I'll ask about the Merrill but may just break down and buy a quart of SAE 40.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2011, 06:46 pm »
I own a VPI Classic that probably needs a little lubrication.  The manual says, "After at least one year of use, the platter bearing and motor will need to be lubricated. For the platter bearing use 1/4 teaspoon of white lithium grease placed on the ball. For the motor, use 1 drop of 40-weight motor oil below the brass piece."

This is probably stupid, but can anyone tell me where to get  a drop of 40-weight motor oil?  I've been looking online and have found sewing machine oil, turbine oil, wd-40, shaver oil, etc. but nothing that is specifically 40 weight.  It needs to have an applicator or nozzle to fit into a small space.  Any suggestions????   
 :wtf:

Hi I work in the trades here is what I use to lubricate motors   ....Silent Run

Motor oil is no good because of the detergent in it ...............Bill

Scottdazzle

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2011, 08:34 pm »
Bill,

Thanks. That's kind of what I thought the tt oil should look like.  I appreciate the link.  Happy New Year!

Scott

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jan 2011, 09:56 pm »
I guess we are lubing turntable platters that at best are going 78 rpm and in the case of the VPI, 45 rpm. It's not motor speed, like 3000 rpm, it slowly moving platter speed. The recommended viscosity is for filling the gap (with fluid support) between spindle and bearing, that is it. A detergent oil is not harmful at all. Motor oil for engines is fine. In fact light weight oils like sewing machine oil may actually cause harm as it will not properly fill the gap between platter shaft and bearing, introducing wobble and consequently, wear to the assembly.

Wayner

orthobiz

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jan 2011, 12:11 am »

Hi I work in the trades here is what I use to lubricate motors   ....Silent Run

Motor oil is no good because of the detergent in it ...............Bill

But do you lube the spindle with Silent Run?

Paul

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2011, 02:14 am »
But do you lube the spindle with Silent Run?

Paul
No the Silent Run is for the motor only we never use motor oil for the reason I stated
The bearing I'm assuming in the inverted bearing so I would think that oil might run
out I'll lift the platter on mine to see............Bill

rcag_ils

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jan 2011, 02:35 am »
The recommended viscosity is for filling the gap (with fluid support) between spindle and bearing, that is it.

I hope the bearing is in close tolerence enough not to have much of a gap, bearing has gap would wobble and cause excessive wear. The purpose of the lubricant in turntable bearing is to decrease or eliminate friction. Light weight oil would not last as long on metal surface. Mobil 1 synthetic will leave a thin film of oil bond to the metal, that's what I use. Again, the lubricant is not to fill any gap in close tolerence bearing, it is to decrease, minimize, or eliminate friction between metal.

Turntable bearing won't generate heat like a high speed motor, anytime you rub metal together will generate heat, but it's not a concern.

Toni Rambold

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jan 2011, 03:33 am »
all jokes aside,
the VPI Classic uses a 600 rpm AC synchronous Hurst motor,
which needs a drop of "synthetic E. P. oil" from time to time.
If in doubt - contact Harry Weisfeld.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2011, 04:18 am »
all jokes aside,
the VPI Classic uses a 600 rpm AC synchronous Hurst motor,
which needs a drop of "synthetic E. P. oil" from time to time.
If in doubt - contact Harry Weisfeld.

Harry is unreachable -- preparing for CES.  That's why I posed the question to the combined expertise of AC members.  Little did I expect the many interesting responses!