If we were to offer mods for a DAC....

decal

Re: If we were to offer mods for a DAC....
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2018, 02:31 pm »
Well, this is true.  I am also planning to release a phono of our own design, in the $1250-$1500 price range after our < $3K design is released.

Thanks,

Dan

This is what I'm waiting for !!!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2018, 02:49 pm »
And it will be great!

One box with wall watt type supply (optional upgraded supply also). Hybrid SS/tube design with dip switches for loading and simple design. Emphasis will be on sound quality, MM and MC.

Thanks!

Dan
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2018, 04:06 pm by modwright »

witchdoctor

« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2018, 05:27 pm »
May sound crazy, but the little iFi Micro DSD DAC is 1/2 of the way to being great right out of the box. I've heard one used in several systems, and the only thing it really lacks (which is an important 1/2 to me) is an ability to create a lifelike 3 dimensional soundstage as a top tier DAC can. Perhaps you could get it closer?

+1

modwright

« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2018, 06:06 pm »
The iFi DAC could easily work with the proposed mod solution that I am thinking of!

The solution I am thinking of would work with a variety of DACs and players.

The areas that we would address include:

Power to the DAC.
Replacement of the stock analog stage with our own.

Ideally the modification to the actual unit would be minimal, with most of the work being done in the external ModWright mod enclosure with its own high voltage supply.

Potential candidates that I see now include:

Project DAC
iFi DAC
Sony UBX1000ES Universal Player

More to come....SOON!

Thanks,

Dan

geowak

« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2018, 06:20 pm »
Bluesound Node 2 or the Vault 2. I know they are streaming devices, but the DAC portion could be improved.
(One would think).

PicknPop

« Reply #25 on: 23 Apr 2018, 10:49 pm »
The Benchmark DAC3 HGC DSD DAC

modwright

« Reply #26 on: 23 Apr 2018, 11:48 pm »
I am supposed to get a Bluesound Node 2 in the mail at some point.  A dealer has asked me about modifying it and I said I would look into it, but it has not been sent yet.

Thanks,

Dan

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #27 on: 24 Apr 2018, 03:26 am »
would the musical paradise mp-d2 mkII or soon to be mkIII be too large?
http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=95

modwright

« Reply #28 on: 24 Apr 2018, 03:12 pm »
Interesting design.  I have not seen it before. Any reviews or has anyone posted any feedback about it yet?  The design looks good!

Thanks,

Dan

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #29 on: 24 Apr 2018, 03:25 pm »
Interesting design.  I have not seen it before. Any reviews or has anyone posted any feedback about it yet?  The design looks good!

Thanks,

Dan

Hey Dan, this DAC has some decent feedback posted, the ability to swap out DAC cards and also easily swap out the caps seems to have drawn quite a bit of interest:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148213.0

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42058

Todd

marvda1

modwright

« Reply #31 on: 24 Apr 2018, 05:44 pm »
It certainly looks interesting. How long has it been in production? I need to know that a product has longevity and a reliable track record before I consider modifying it.

Thanks,

Dan

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #32 on: 24 Apr 2018, 05:58 pm »
Have you considered looking at a DAC that's already a top performer, but is solid state?  I'm thinking something like the Auralic Vega.  It has a huge reputation, it's been around a while, and they just came out with a new gen 2 model. 

I can say this, as a tube lover, the Vega is the only SS DAC I've been able to use in my system and enjoy.  It would make a great foundation to put in some mods especially a nice tubed output.  And if the Vega mods go well, you could expand to other models they have, like their digital streamer the Aries (also just came out with a G2 model).  Auralic already has a huge, built in customer base that would be good to tap into. 

modwright

« Reply #33 on: 24 Apr 2018, 06:20 pm »
That is a good point and I understand that it is a very good DAC.

I believe it is a $3K DAC?  Are people willing to invest another $1K-$3K in mods for it?

Thanks,

Dan

fredgarvin

« Reply #34 on: 24 Apr 2018, 07:23 pm »
The universal Mod with your own analog stage sounds very interesting.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #35 on: 24 Apr 2018, 07:39 pm »
That is a good point and I understand that it is a very good DAC.

I believe it is a $3K DAC?  Are people willing to invest another $1K-$3K in mods for it?

Thanks,

Dan

G2 Vega is $5400 list.  So yeah.  But I was thinking that people who already had the G2 Vega might be looking to go to "next level", without having to spend $13k to go up to a MSB Analog DAC (or more!!)

modwright

« Reply #36 on: 24 Apr 2018, 08:47 pm »
OK, well I think that the Universal Mod design will be the direction that I will pursue initially. The beauty of it, is that it could be used with a number of different products to mod, from DACs to players.

The process would be the same: To extract the lowest level, cleanest and purest signal straight from the DAC in the unit to be modified. Then feed it via very short cables to our mod product.  Our Mod 'product' would provide the upgraded analog stage with analog filtering and also a digital supply to feed DACs with outboard wall-wart type supplies.

This Universal mod approach could apply to a lot of products.

I will make something up and then start with an inexpensive candidate, such as the Project or iFi DAC.

The Auralic DAC would also be a candidate, as well as a $500 Universal Player.

Thanks,

Dan

marvda1

« Reply #37 on: 24 Apr 2018, 08:48 pm »
It certainly looks interesting. How long has it been in production? I need to know that a product has longevity and a reliable track record before I consider modifying it.

Thanks,

Dan
looks like it's been out since the end of 2014. been thru 2 versions with the mkIII to be released the end of july.
seems he manufactures in batches since the mkII has been sold out.

modwright

« Reply #38 on: 24 Apr 2018, 09:02 pm »
OK, thanks.

Dan

JakeJ

« Reply #39 on: 24 Apr 2018, 09:51 pm »
Hi Dan,

Sent you an email about the MP-D2 for possible upgrades.

Thanks,
JakeJ