VR4-SR vs MKII vs MKIII

runnerlk

VR4-SR vs MKII vs MKIII
« on: 5 Jan 2018, 11:16 pm »
I have been looking for months now for a pair of SRs as a worthy upgrade to my VR-4JR...originals bought new in 2005.

I have found a pair within driving distance and they are the originals in very nice condition...cherry Finish.
I was looking for any feedback as to the audible sonic differences between the 3 iterations of the SR.
I know what the well meaning VSA marketing team would say...I think.
But looking for feedback from anyone who had the rare opportunity to hear them.
My JRs are bi-amped with tubes and SS and sound great.

Thanks

Lou

SundayNiagara

Re: VR4-SR vs MKII vs MKIII
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2018, 12:32 am »
I have been looking for months now for a pair of SRs as a worthy upgrade to my VR-4JR...originals bought new in 2005.

I have found a pair within driving distance and they are the originals in very nice condition...cherry Finish.
I was looking for any feedback as to the audible sonic differences between the 3 iterations of the SR.
I know what the well meaning VSA marketing team would say...I think.
But looking for feedback from anyone who had the rare opportunity to hear them.
My JRs are bi-amped with tubes and SS and sound great.

Thanks

Lou

Since you didn't post the price you're willing to pay, maybe you should scroll down the page and see if the VR-5 HSEs interest you. He has them listed on Audiogon, but I don't believe they have sold.

runnerlk

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2018, 12:51 am »
Yes i am aware of the VR5 but have found a pair of SR and just looking for feedback about the sonic didferences between the original, the MKII and MKIII.
Thanks

Audiophile

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2018, 06:44 pm »
Since you didn't post the price you're willing to pay, maybe you should scroll down the page and see if the VR-5 HSEs interest you. He has them listed on Audiogon, but I don't believe they have sold.

They are sold! Thanks so much for the recommendation.

SundayNiagara

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2018, 07:53 pm »
They are sold! Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Congratulations. :)

Audiophile

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2018, 08:19 pm »

Congratulations. :)

Thank You!

To say the new owner was overwhelmingly pleased would be an understatement. Then again whoever has ever owned or currently owns the VR-5 HSE already knows that.  :green:

gammajo

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2018, 04:50 pm »
I listened to the VR4 Jrs compared to many other brands, and it was love at first ear with the VSA line. I purchased the original VR4Sr and liked them very much and felt they provided much added value to the VRJr sound. Then I upgraded to the VR4Sr MK2 and gain there was noticeable improvement particularly in better treble and bass and more even sound all around. Another thing to consider is that VRSR cabinets allow a upgrade all the way up to VR5 anniversary MK2 status, which I also did and loved. Now I am at VR55 Aktive and still happy with VSA. So I think getting the cabinet with the VR4Sr will give you many options down the road. Hope this helps.

runnerlk

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2018, 11:46 pm »
I listened to the VR4 Jrs compared to many other brands, and it was love at first ear with the VSA line. I purchased the original VR4Sr and liked them very much and felt they provided much added value to the VRJr sound. Then I upgraded to the VR4Sr MK2 and gain there was noticeable improvement particularly in better treble and bass and more even sound all around. Another thing to consider is that VRSR cabinets allow a upgrade all the way up to VR5 anniversary MK2 status, which I also did and loved. Now I am at VR55 Aktive and still happy with VSA. So I think getting the cabinet with the VR4Sr will give you many options down the road. Hope this helps.

Hi gammago and thanks for the reply. This is exactly the info I was looking for. And in the meantime if found a pair of MKII. In birdseye maple...seem like real beauties and plan to check them out in person soon.

Thanks again :D

gammajo

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2018, 09:25 am »
Runerlk
Glad to be of help.Sounds like you found a very nice pair. Hope it works out.