Snagged... thanks wisnon!

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: Atlantic Dac & Preamp Discussion and Questions Thread
« Reply #21 on: 21 Nov 2017, 10:13 pm »
Snagged... thanks wisnon!

jriggy,

glad you got a hold of this, let us know what your thoughts are once you've had a change to listen to the stock tube and then to this tube.

I almost bought this yesterday but decided since I just bought 4 different types to play with I could wait for another day.

Wisnon, keep up the good finds. I had a small G2G on Sunday and we did do a very quick swap, not really a serious listen so all I can say is we did hear a difference between the tubes we tried.

wisnon

« Reply #22 on: 22 Nov 2017, 09:04 pm »
Guys, Santa came early this year. This UK seller has TEN at half the VivaTubes price...less than $50 delivered!
Run, dont walk and snag one! Thank me later...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CV717-5R4G-Haltron-Twin-disc-Getters-at-Base-New-Old-Stock-ValveTube-1-pc-A17D/391765269145?epid=812467618&hash=item5b37079a99:g:4UwAAOSwRUhY~0zV

wisnon

« Reply #23 on: 22 Nov 2017, 09:06 pm »
jriggy,

glad you got a hold of this, let us know what your thoughts are once you've had a change to listen to the stock tube and then to this tube.

I almost bought this yesterday but decided since I just bought 4 different types to play with I could wait for another day.

Wisnon, keep up the good finds. I had a small G2G on Sunday and we did do a very quick swap, not really a serious listen so all I can say is we did hear a difference between the tubes we tried.

Thumbs up! That is the built in fun with tube rolling. Its such a social activity!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #24 on: 22 Nov 2017, 10:05 pm »
Guys, Santa came early this year. This UK seller has TEN at half the VivaTubes price...less than $50 delivered!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CV717-5R4G-Haltron-Twin-disc-Getters-at-Base-New-Old-Stock-ValveTube-1-pc-A17D/391765269145?epid=812467618&hash=item5b37079a99:g:4UwAAOSwRUhY~0zV

I'm listening to one of these right now. Great tube. I've come full circle with it as I've loved it in my Melody integrated when I had a stock Atlantic. After getting superclocks and tube rectification for my Atlantic I thought it was too much of a good thing so to speak. I've got my system in a different room now and have made some adjustments in other areas and this tube just rocks now. I usually get it from Taiwan for about $50 so this is good to see one from the U.K. 

findog3103

« Reply #25 on: 22 Nov 2017, 11:29 pm »

Done! Thanks for the link.

jriggy

« Reply #26 on: 26 Nov 2017, 12:36 am »

Fuuuuuuuuudge (only I didn’t say fudge)... Just saw this post... mine from VivaTubes just arrived today. Crap. And to top it off, I was wiping dust off the tube and the base shifted/turned. So the base turns back and forth on the glass (or vice versa) 1/8 of an inch or so. Maybe they’ll take a return... I can’t test it yet, Atlantic has not shipped yet.

wisnon

« Reply #27 on: 8 Jan 2018, 03:37 pm »
JRiggy,

Did they take it back?

jriggy

« Reply #29 on: 22 Mar 2018, 03:39 pm »
JRiggy,

Did they take it back?

Just saw this! Yes, they did. Double mica has been doing very well. I’m curious to hear the more modern sounding KR recti but I currently am not tempted enough.

And thanks for posting the review.  I’m loving mine!

Had a tonality issue at first that worried me it was a bad match/synergy issue. Turns out it was the new to me attached custom metal footers on the unit reacting with the granite shelf of my rack. No other footers I had on hand (three dif kinds/three dif approaches) sounded right to me. I remembered I had some Herbie’s Grungebuster Dots (perfect size), put them between Atlantic’s footers and granite shelf, and boom! Everything locked into place!

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #30 on: 22 Mar 2018, 04:52 pm »
Wisnon, thank you for the link.

I had a G2G where we were able to listen to two different Hollo Springs L2 dacs. We compared them to my Atlantic dac which was configured the same as the review unit and pretty much came to the same conclusion as the review.

The L2 is a very good dac and I believe it to be a great value as well.

Wisnon, if you find another good deal on the recti tube you pointed to on this thread before let me know. I'm finally at a point to pursue this again.

Greg