Larger drivers in open baffles?

Jonathon Janusz

Larger drivers in open baffles?
« on: 18 Apr 2015, 04:28 pm »
I thought this might interest more than just me, so a post rather than an email to Louis.

As there has been some positive feedback from the RS5 drivers in (at least partial) open baffle designs now, have you experimented with the 7, 8, or alnico drivers on an open baffle, and if so any thoughts to share?  In particular, I'm thinking using the hybrid outlaw designs with the integral powered woofer sections (to take up the low frequencies lost to the open baffle) as example, you would be in a good position now to see positive results from this application while keeping the whole design in-house.

I've heard some nice open baffle designs using smaller drivers, but for me at least there has been noticeable benefit to having the additional cone area to move more air with a larger driver in open baffle (with the usual cautions of going too big, before someone chimes in with the negative...).  On paper, from what I could read on your website, I would think that your drivers would seem a good fit.

Thanks for your time in reply!

InfernoSTi

Re: Larger drivers in open baffles?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2015, 05:58 pm »
The Hawthorne Audio 15" SSI and Augie purpose built OB drivers are exceptional.  I apologize to mention another speaker manufacturer...just saying that if designed right, larger OB drivers can be really good at providing the needed dynamics.  The key is "proper" design (i.e. if they are more suited for boxes, they might not be a good choice for OB).   Please feel free to ask me to modify this post to remove the specific manufacturer example if that is more appropriate...

John

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2015, 07:12 pm »
Guy 13 is using Omega 7" drivers in an OB setup and loves it.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2015, 08:20 pm »
John, I've looked in to the Hawthorne drivers in the past, and have had OB coaxes in the past.

Rob, I've read Guy's posts regarding his experiments with his 7" drivers.

Both of your posts underscore the direction of my questioning, John in mentioning drivers of "proper design" for open baffle, and Rob in bringing up Guy's work.  I know that the DIY drivers are no longer available from Omega, and unless I'm missing something none of the current drivers are specifically noted as being suited for open baffle, which is why I tried to specify focusing my inquiry on either prototyped or possibly in development completed Omega designs.

Thanks both for cutting shorter to the heart of it. :)