Tips on how to package speakers

bluemike

Tips on how to package speakers
« on: 14 Jun 2015, 03:09 am »
Hey Guys
I'm moving across town and need help on how to package my heavy speakers so that they get there with no blemishes
I was thinking of building a crate for them but not sure how to about doing this - any tips appreciated

« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2015, 04:36 am by bluemike »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Tips on how to package speakers
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2015, 03:18 am »
Can't open your system.  What model are they? If they can be laid on their side, I'd use packing quilts and wrap the devil out of them with cellophane tape. 

bluemike

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2015, 03:36 am »
They are Ridge Street Sason's
Granite and very heavy

S Clark

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2015, 04:19 am »
I think you may be right.  I'd be tempted to build crates. 
This might be helpful.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUQBC_ajOqg

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2015, 05:50 am »
Blue Mike,

I just read up on your speakers. They must sound wonderful.

They're 140 lbs each, correct? If these were my speakers, I'd build a 'coffin' for them using 2x4s frames wrapped by 1/2" plywood. I'd wrap each speaker in a 2" thick foam blanket, secured with tape or straps. Id then wrap this in moving blankets before placing them in their boxes/coffins. I'd attach robust handles to the outside of the boxes and get three helpers to move them out of my house to the vehicle. Same to move them to the new home. With four bearers the load is well distributed.

Alternatively, attach heavy duty castors to the bottom panel to make moving much easier if terrain allows.

Just my two cents. Best of luck.

Michael

Photon46

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2015, 11:10 am »
Michael definitely has the plan that will protect your speakers well. My Tidal Piano Cera speakers are shipped around the world in a similar rolling coffin crate. The only thing I'd add is that for ultimate finish protection, wrapping the speakers first in a plastic protective film is a good idea for avoiding any scratching. Something like this material from Uline. http://www.uline.com/BL_2965/Uline-Econo-Wrapper

bluemike

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2015, 11:50 am »
Thanks guys for the tips
Would wrapping the speakers in regular stretch plastic wrap be ok how is the uline product any different
Yes they are 140 lbs each and awkward to handle perhaps looking at piano movers to move them depending on how expensive that is

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2015, 12:16 pm »
Blue Mike,

I just read up on your speakers. They must sound wonderful.

They're 140 lbs each, correct? If these were my speakers, I'd build a 'coffin' for them using 2x4s frames wrapped by 1/2" plywood. I'd wrap each speaker in a 2" thick foam blanket, secured with tape or straps. Id then wrap this in moving blankets before placing them in their boxes/coffins. I'd attach robust handles to the outside of the boxes and get three helpers to move them out of my house to the vehicle. Same to move them to the new home. With four bearers the load is well distributed.

Alternatively, attach heavy duty castors to the bottom panel to make moving much easier if terrain allows.

Just my two cents. Best of luck.

Michael

+2!

Photon46

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2015, 03:22 pm »
Thanks guys for the tips
Would wrapping the speakers in regular stretch plastic wrap be ok how is the uline product any different
Yes they are 140 lbs each and awkward to handle perhaps looking at piano movers to move them depending on how expensive that is

I'm sure regular plastic wrap would be better than nothing but the protective plastic films that Uline sells are tough as nails and much harder to puncture and tear than regular household wrap. It's definitely a pain to try and source the commercial material, one ends up having to order so much more than you need to wrap a pair of speakers.

bluemike

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2015, 02:33 pm »
OK Crates built and I ended up putting 1 inch of blue Styrofoam insulation on the insides of the crates
The speakers will be bubble wrapped and then wrapped with stretch wrap before I attempt to place them in the boxes
What can I use to fill the spaces so the speakers do not move more bubble wrap or wedge a pillow in between
opinions appreciated

S Clark

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jul 2015, 03:50 pm »
What about cutting more Styrofoam to fit, then use a can of expanding foam to fill any crevasses?  I have doubts that bubble wrap will absorb enough impact if they were to fall over.  I'm eager to hear how this works out for you.  One day I may be trying to ship a massive pair of LS9's.

Photon46

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jul 2015, 05:11 pm »
Bubble wrap is not the best material to use for that application. (My workplace has a lot of experience shipping heavy and delicate framed artwork, sculpture, etc. I've seen it all as far as UPS, FedEx, and trucking LTL shipping screwups.) If I wanted to make certain everything was properly protected, I'd go someplace like a JoAnn's Fabric center and buy a sheet of hight density foam and cut it to size. Every high quality speaker manufacturer I've had experience with uses high density foam inside their cases or boxes. If you have to use bubble wrap, don't use the "small bubble" variety, use the "big bubble." The expanding foam idea should work well for filling those odd leftover voids (it can be messy.) I've had a very heavy turntable shipped to me that was encased in the expanding foam and it worked well.

http://www.joann.com/search?q=foam%20rubber
http://www.thefoamfactory.com/closedcellfoam/polyethylene.html

bluemike

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jul 2015, 05:11 pm »
expanding foam isn't that messy ..good thought though and worth a try
thanks anybody else care to chime in
where else to buy high density foam - no jo ann fabrics in the area  :|
does home depot sell high density foam or more Styrofoam pink that comes in 48 slab be as effective

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #13 on: 7 Jul 2015, 05:38 pm »
Possible high-density foam sources:

Arts & Crafts store
Home Depot/ similar
Hardware store
Habitat For Humanity

TomS

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jul 2015, 06:24 pm »
U Line has a lot of this sort of thing though you have to order it online http://www.uline.com/BL_868/Plank-Foam

I helped carry a pair of Sasons up a stairs once  :o

bluemike

« Reply #15 on: 7 Jul 2015, 06:30 pm »
you know how heavy and awkward they are then
They are worth the trouble  :thumb:

Sparky14

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jul 2015, 06:38 pm »
May not be applicable here, but let me state something that I thought would have been obvious, but apparently not given the state of the last speakers I purchased:

Do not pack ported speakers in a box, unbagged, filled with styrofoam peanuts. Arggh.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #17 on: 7 Jul 2015, 08:12 pm »
I've used polyethylene sheets, much denser/tougher than other foam sheets, loose foam can compress/settle, expanding foam can over expand and cause damage.  I'd use polyethylene sheets between the speakers and crating.

bluemike

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jul 2015, 09:17 pm »
Thanks where do I get polyethelyne sheets

Photon46

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jul 2015, 11:22 pm »
Thanks where do I get polyethelyne sheets

The second link in my last post, the Foam Factory, for mail order.