Tire Rack tires?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Tire Rack tires?
« Reply #20 on: 3 Feb 2017, 05:54 pm »
When I bought Winter wheels I got my genuine Ford OEM TPMS off eBay for $80 set of four.
Far better price than the dealer!
It is nice the car accepts 8 separate TPMS.
So once added... I can swap wheels without fooling around with TPMS anymore.

One 'issue' with Tire Rack is they have their own TPMS, and not the OEM ones.
Sad, as it would be better if they could offer OEM ones (though I can imagine what a hassle for their installers  with dozens of various ones floating around!

rpf

« Reply #21 on: 3 Feb 2017, 06:38 pm »
Cost is a consideration for me ($250/four which have batteries that must eventually be replaced).  Old farts remember driving without seat belts, air bags, ABS, traction control, side impact reinforcement, automatic cruise, automatic braking, back-up cameras, etc.  We also remember to carry a tire pressure gauge and routinely checking the pressures (including the spare).

I remember cars that didn't have AC. I must be really old.   :lol:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 3 Feb 2017, 07:49 pm »
I remember cars that didn't have AC. I must be really old.   :lol:

Yep.  Dad added AC to our 1968 Ford Custom 500 before our one big blow out trip to California.  It fit above the transmission hump where I had to sit due to Mom not being able to give directions and ex-brother "needed" the whole back seat.  So 5 days scrunched against the tranny and AC while holding an Atlas and giving directions as an 11 year old.  And we made it! 

twitch54

« Reply #23 on: 3 Feb 2017, 09:58 pm »
Was told that running the car without tire pressure sensors would somehow cause problems for the car's computer.   :?

while I can't speak for all vehicles I can state that is not at all true with regards to my Chevy Silverado (2009) pick up truck.

twitch54

« Reply #24 on: 3 Feb 2017, 10:07 pm »
Some States now require functional TPMS to pass inspection when installed as original equipment.  Where it's not required then it's a personal choice to use it or not, expensive as it is I put value on the potential benefits it brings - it's a free choice.  When they're described as 'stupid' there needs to be a balanced view....

actually 'stupid' is the individual that's to lazy to check their tire pressure, for NOT all TPMS sensors give one an actual tire pressure feedback reading, mine don't as did not a lot of older vehicles. The ones on my Grand Sport Corvette however did much more, provided feedback on tire pressure per location, etc. They of course were more that dbl the price of the ones on my older pick up.

As for 'stupid' comment , that was aimed at my truck since the TPMS sensors are having a serious case of PMS that has yet to be rectified !

Elizabeth

« Reply #25 on: 3 Feb 2017, 10:18 pm »
One plus for TPMS is low profile high performance tires.
My cars 235/40/18 tires have such stiff sidewalls (Goodyear) even with the tread body gone, The sidewall still hold up the car.

Seen it. Guy with same car as me (Ford Focus ST) had a low tire, TPMS came on. He filled the tire and continued driving, TPMS was still on... He ignored it.. Until he SEES his tire tread roll off the wheel and away.
He pulls over, the car is standing up on the sidewalls alone. He took pics. The low tire pressure cut the tread off at the sidewalls..

Anyway, I know I cannot 'see' a low tire like on normal aspect ratio tires.
Now I check my tire pressure about once a month. So I am glad for TPMS. If I have a sudden low pressure situation. I want to know about it.

I am always sad to see people driving around on 15psi or less... You can see the tire bulging out where it meets the street.

twitch54

« Reply #26 on: 4 Feb 2017, 10:15 pm »
One plus for TPMS is low profile high performance tires.

agreed ..........

My cars 235/40/18 tires have such stiff sidewalls (Goodyear) even with the tread body gone, The sidewall still hold up the car.

sounds like 'run flat' tires to me, had em on my Grand Sport , hated em, replaced with Michelins, night and day difference

Elizabeth

« Reply #27 on: 4 Feb 2017, 11:44 pm »

sounds like 'run flat' tires to me, had em on my Grand Sport , hated em, replaced with Michelins, night and day difference

Not run flat, just plain ordinary tires. Except they are ultra high performance Summer tires.

twitch54

« Reply #28 on: 5 Feb 2017, 01:11 am »
Not run flat, just plain ordinary tires. Except they are ultra high performance Summer tires.

what brand / model ?