Just ordered an HD AVA

halo777

Just ordered an HD AVA
« on: 7 Jan 2017, 08:35 am »
So, I just ordered an Nuprime HD AVA.  I also have an Nuforce IA18 sitting in a box waiting to be hooked up.

Why did I order the HD-AVA?  I needed a DAC, and after deep interwebinvestigation I settled on the DAC-10.  Logically, I probably should have just purchased a DAC-10 in matching sliver to sit beside the IA18.  But, I am a sucker for a good deal, and when I saw that the HD AVA had an integrated DAC 10, and was priced just a few hundred more than the DAC10, I jumped on it.

My concern now is this... I want to us the IA18 as the amp for music coming from the USB Audio RCA output on the HD ASA, for the best SQ.
  • Can I configure the internal amp on the HD ASA to power a center channel speaker, for HDMI input?  Or is it hardcoded to L&R main?
  • When I use the USB Audio and corresponding RCA output to go to the IA18, do I have to have speakers hooked up to the L&R mains on the HD-AVA to avoid buzzing?  Apparently this was an issue on certain Nuforce/Nuprime amps
  • When utilizing the USB Audio RCA outs to the IA18, if there are speakers attached to the L&R mains on the HD-AVA, can I have them silenced?
  • Is it even worth it to send the output to IA18 for better SQ, or should I just use the internal amp on the HD-AVA?  The IA-18 looks like an amazing product, so I feel bad not utilizing it.

halo777

Re: Just ordered an HD AVA
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2017, 05:14 am »
Still waiting for my HD AVA to ship!

While Ill admit to being impatient, most companies will have your product shipped within a few business days.  Thursday will be the fourth since payment sent, so hopefully wont be too much longer.

halo777

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2017, 02:47 pm »
Just got news... it is being shipped today !!!

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2017, 02:07 pm »
Great to know you are getting the new toy soon! Looking forward to your review of the installed product.

I'm very sorry you have had no input regarding your concerns.  Until someone with actual experience with the AVA comes along, I can only comment on the last point:

...Is it even worth it to send the output to IA18 for better SQ, or should I just use the internal amp on the HD-AVA?  The IA-18 looks like an amazing product, so I feel bad not utilizing it.

If you already have the IA18 (which I agree, looks great from the reviews), I believe it would be a fun experiment to try them both and just decide which is to your preference?

If you prefer the NuPrime's stage, you can sell the IA.  If, on the other hand, the AVA used as a PRE and the IA as an AMP yields better results, you already have all the hardware to produce great sound!  I actually envy you a little :) LOL!

Let us know how it turns out, best regards,
Rafa.

halo777

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2017, 04:33 am »
Thanks for the tip!

May be a little while, as we are just moving into a new house.  But Ill report back once I get everything setup.

halo777

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2017, 04:57 am »
So, the new HD AVA is hooked up.  Performing a true A to B test is a little tricky, as it requires rewiring of the speakers and input devices.

My first impression:

• Sound was very clear and detailed
  • lacked some bass compared to the well used IA 18

I have been burning it in during the days with low volume tuner input.  Have not done a recent A to B test.  However, my current impression after about 150 hours of burn in:

• Still very impressed by the detail in the sound
  • Not fatiguing to the ears, at all.  When you have such clarity, you dont need to play as loud to get the same level of listening pleasure
  • I cant comment on the really deep bass, as my new (to me) speakers dont go super low (focal be 927)
  • bass, in general, has seemed to improve significantly.  Ill need an A to B test with the IA 18 following burn in, to confirm
  • There is a wonderful 'airy' feeling, if that makes any sense.  Like the separate musical pieces are floating in the air.
  • bass has a fullness and punch to it.  And doesnt seem to muddy the mids and highs in the least

Bottom line, I absolutely love the HD AVA.  It is not really the most user friendly, but that is not high on my priority list.  Im just blown away by the basic performance of 2 channel stereo, and will get to all the other bells and whistles later, when I have time to play around.

rustydoglim

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2017, 06:56 pm »
It has the IDA-16 amp inside so it ought to sound too.

envydd

« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2018, 11:04 pm »
+1 Just placed an order with John C. I am happy with an IDA and wanted a little more power and was debating between 2xSTA6+DAC9, IDA-16 but then noticed the AVA had the IDA-16 built in. I was sold!

Thanks John.

rustydoglim

« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2018, 06:27 pm »
The factory clearance sales can be found at
https://nuoem.com/product-category/sales-promotion/clearance/

We need to clear the stocks to free up cash, so our loss is your gain. On hindsight we should have keep it simple.
If you have bought them recently at higher price, contact me if you plan to order a new product, I will see what I can do.

envydd

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2018, 01:25 am »
Got my AVA via John Castler. Super easy experience and he gave me quite a bit of background and we discussed the sound stuff before ordering.

Initial impressions from a non audiophile:
- at lower volumes slightly more open than IDA-6 but not by a lot. In fact in some recordings the IDA-6 sounds as good (44.1).
- as you crank up the volume, wow .... but then I havent heart a IDA-8 or IDA-16.
- very complex product, however if you want it as a 2-ch audio, its pretty good (just use the 2 dials!).
- the USB DAC input sounds more open than TOSLINK (from my Mac).

Will get back after burn in period.

envydd

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2018, 08:12 pm »
Also just to add: configured an old PC with Daphile and connected the USB to the DAC input. Very impressed ....

vkohl

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2018, 06:49 am »
AVA QUESTION :  If I want to use this in my home theatre 7.1 setup, CAN you use the built in 200 w/ch amp to power your FL & FR and at the same time use the pre-outs to send the other 5.1 channels to your 5 channel amp and subs ? Does this AVA work that way ?  thanks new users !

rustydoglim

« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2018, 06:50 am »
AVA QUESTION :  If I want to use this in my home theatre 7.1 setup, CAN you use the built in 200 w/ch amp to power your FL & FR and at the same time use the pre-outs to send the other 5.1 channels to your 5 channel amp and subs ? Does this AVA work that way ?  thanks new users !

Yes.
Take a look at the Home Theater FAQ: http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/faq/
When you are using the USB audio and DAC for 2 channel music listening, turn off the 5 channel amp. Because when USB DAC is used, the other 5.1 channels also get the same stereo signals from USB audio (design quirk).
When using for surround sound movie, set Pure Direct Mode (this will turn off EQ effects that are unnecessary).

This product is difficult to use but if you can get use to the quirks, it is a very good deal at factory clearance price - almost half price of IDA-16 with a free high quality AVP throw in for free.

And the media server works fine with external hard disk, with the file folder type browser, no fancy movie album type UI.

envydd

« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2018, 07:01 am »
How do I turn off the 5 channel amp Jason? I have not (and probably never will) use the AVA for anything other than 2 channel....

Best bang for the buck NuPrime gear!

rustydoglim

« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2018, 07:07 am »
In your case, you are just setting it up as 2.1 system, then there is no need to turn off anything. That's my preferred setup, I don't really care about the surround channels in a small room.
Years ago I had a huge living room with 5.1 speakers but now with family, 2.1 is more than enough.  The extra space are taken up by kid's stuff,  :lol:.  Old toys, little study desk, a few extra this and that, it is a mess.

envydd

« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2018, 07:26 am »
Thx Jason. I listen to the Ava setup w the ls50 to relax/think/daydream. The combo has been therapeutic and I don’t feel bad about not buying the active ls50.

If I get something better I guess I will need to upgrade my speakers and there is no room (for an open baffle).

fredgarvin

« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2018, 04:37 pm »
The discount on the HD AVP is incredible. You're getting a processor with a server and DAC-10 for the price of a DAC-9.

Or the HD-ADA which includes all of that and an IDA=16 inside all for the price of an IDA-8 plus a 100 bucks.

rustydoglim

« Reply #17 on: 31 Mar 2018, 04:34 am »
We are losing a good chunk of money on the home theatre products :(, yap, this is a tough business.
Products getting better and cheaper every year, but marketing getting smaller.
We are seeing some new customers coming into this hobby but will take another 5 years or so to grow again, when the mp3 generation gets into their 40s.

WhatIsHiFi

« Reply #18 on: 8 Aug 2018, 08:12 pm »
Hi,

I'm new to this hobby and with a limited budget. I've been researching the advantages of the using NuPrime HD-AVA as a 2.1 AUDIO system over the IDA-8 in a separate thread (plan to use it with KEF LS50 & KUBE).

In the course of my research I came across this thread and am specifically seeking your inputs on purchasing from NUOEM - does anybody have any prior experience with this site? If yes are you aware of what the process is if you receive a defective product since users have had mixed experiences with HD-AVA?

Thank you for your time & willingness to share,
Ami

rustydoglim

« Reply #19 on: 9 Aug 2018, 07:13 pm »
nuoem.com is a site providing service to NuPrime factory and others.
Therefore you are ordering directly from NuPrime, as safe as it can be :).
Products get listed on nuoem.com when they are under clearance, the end of a product lifecycle. Standard warranty coverage and support from Nuprime.