Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server

bwillcox

Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server
« Reply #320 on: 11 Jul 2014, 06:55 pm »
I have had my stock unit for almost two months. The only hang I had occurred during my initial transfer, when my Mac went to sleep overnight.  Corrected that the next day and did a 24/7 for a couple of days until all done.  No issues at all so far. My internal disk is full (15,804 tracks) and my 2T external Passport has only 76 GB on it. 

Well, that's really good to hear. I'm trying to get a Return Authorization for mine now. That's not going too well either. The Sony service guy wanted me to do yet another Factory Reset to it and download about 20,000 tracks. I told him I have been "testing" this device for over two months already and was getting sick and tired of doing that. I then asked him if he thought I was one of his beta testers? He, of course, denied that and said that he was only trying to find out what the problem was. I told him that I'd be happy to swap mine with a new one and then he could do all the testing he'd like with it.

Also, he really wanted to blame all of my hangs on corrupted data. Either the files or the data base. This doesn't seem to be that likely to me since the hangs don't appear to be related to what the device is doing. It will hang while transferring files, playing tracks, or just sitting idle. I haven't been able to associate any particular track or activity to the event.

OzarkTom

« Reply #321 on: 17 Jul 2014, 01:15 am »
I have an interesting problem now. I did the update recently, now none of my CD tracks shows up on my IPad now. I can run and search internet radio, but no CD tracks. I can search on my Sony and find them still.  Anyone else having a similar problem?

Stercom

« Reply #322 on: 17 Jul 2014, 01:19 am »
I have an interesting problem now. I did the update recently, now none of my CD tracks shows up on my IPad now. I can run and search internet radio, but no CD tracks. I can search on my Sony and find them still.  Anyone else having a similar problem?

Try the sort function.

teetee

« Reply #323 on: 17 Jul 2014, 01:28 am »
Try remove app from ipad and reinstall, that was how I fix my issue

OzarkTom

« Reply #324 on: 17 Jul 2014, 01:48 am »
Try the sort function.

That works, but it sure would be nice to have it back the other way.

Rob50

« Reply #325 on: 18 Jul 2014, 11:49 am »
Latest thing.....player just gone to standby mode, during playback. First time that's happened !

bwillcox

« Reply #326 on: 18 Jul 2014, 12:33 pm »
Latest thing.....player just gone to standby mode, during playback. First time that's happened !
Was it still responsive to front panel controls when it did that? Mine will, at random intervals, lock up while playing various tracks requiring a forced power off and then power back on to get it responsive again.

I'm getting a replacement unit shipped to me. Should be here sometime next week. Hopefully it will be better behaved than my current one.

bwillcox

« Reply #327 on: 18 Jul 2014, 01:38 pm »
Rob50, are you sure that your HAP box didn't just go to sleep due to no input from you? Mine has a sleep mode that I have turned off so that it won't do this to me.

Rob50

« Reply #328 on: 18 Jul 2014, 04:43 pm »
Was it still responsive to front panel controls when it did that? Mine will, at random intervals, lock up while playing various tracks requiring a forced power off and then power back on to get it responsive again.

I'm getting a replacement unit shipped to me. Should be here sometime next week. Hopefully it will be better behaved than my current one.

I didn't access the menu, just waited for the seconds to count down to see what happened ? I just switched it back on, and it was showing the track that had been playing.
My sleep mode is set to off. ( I'm glad I didn't buy the far more expensive HAP-Z1ES. ) I hope you have better luck with your replacement !! 

smargo

« Reply #329 on: 18 Jul 2014, 04:59 pm »
( I'm glad I didn't buy the far more expensive HAP-Z1ES. )

you mean you havent been talking about the HAP-Z1ES?

Rob50

« Reply #330 on: 19 Jul 2014, 03:04 pm »
you mean you havent been talking about the HAP-Z1ES?

No, if you read one of earlier posts, I state that I bought the HAP-S1.

smargo

« Reply #331 on: 19 Jul 2014, 03:49 pm »
No, if you read one of earlier posts, I state that I bought the HAP-S1.

sorry i didnt read your earlier post - i thought this thread was only for the Z1ES - didnt know we were allowed to talk about other sony products here

Im surprised the "topic police" havent made their presence known

bwillcox

« Reply #332 on: 19 Jul 2014, 07:02 pm »
sorry i didnt read your earlier post - i thought this thread was only for the Z1ES - didnt know we were allowed to talk about other sony products here

I would be really surprised if the HAP-S1 wasn't VERY similar to the HAP-Z1ES, especially in its software. They are likely virtually identical in that regard.

Rob50

« Reply #333 on: 20 Jul 2014, 09:56 am »

Well I think that would be a little churlish, given that it's the Z1's little brother, and works via the same softwear.
I really would have loved to buy the Z1, but finances dictated. ( Perhaps the HAP-S1, should have it's own thread ?.....not that I've searched for one ! )

brj

« Reply #334 on: 22 Jul 2014, 04:57 pm »

You rang?

This is a review thread (despite all of the troubleshooting related posts best left to another circle).  Per the posting guidelines, comparisons to other products are encouraged.

If you truly want to review another product however, and not just offer a comparison to the product currently under review, then I'd recommend starting a new thread just to avoid confusion.

Thank you.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #335 on: 27 Jul 2014, 06:32 pm »
So everything is going well with my HAP-Z1ES right now.  :thumb:

I got a 10" tablet for remote and also to serve as a more portable option vs my enormous 17" laptop. The remote app is not perfect but it works pretty well.

I also got new cell phone service and ended up with a Sony Xperia Z phone, which is very awesome and a huge upgrade over Samsung. I will never own another Samsung product after seeing the difference in the Xperia vs Galaxy. Also, the HDD remote app works on the Xperia and not on the Galaxy.  :green:

Now that music is all transferred and I have 2 working remote-capable devices things are going very well.

The only glitches I have noticed lately are maybe once every 30-40 hours of playing music it will stop, pause for a few seconds, then start playing the same track it was on from the beginning. No idea why, it's minor and happens so infrequently I'm not worried about it.

bwillcox

« Reply #336 on: 27 Jul 2014, 07:22 pm »
That's great news that yours is working well. Maybe there is hope for me and mine yet!

As you may recall me stating in an earlier post mine locks up after 1-10 hours of playing, requiring a forced power off (pressing and holding the power button for 5 or more seconds). Sony service said that they were sending me a new one (I got an RA from them a week and a half ago), but it's not here still.

OzarkTom

« Reply #337 on: 27 Jul 2014, 07:28 pm »
So are you liking the sound Dave? Mine really improved a lot by adding the Job Sweetcord to it.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #338 on: 27 Jul 2014, 07:43 pm »
Tom, Yeah... I doubt I can get better sound for the money. I have not experimented with power cables yet... I currently have a couple of my own PCs out for demo and when they return I will try them out. I have PCs using my 14g upocc copper litz wire I use in the SCs you tried out in the tour. My PCs have the same sonic signature as the SCs, so very neutral, clean and dynamic. I have not forgot about the D4 IC I offered to let you try out and I could send you a PC too if you're interested. I will start a D4 IC tour, probably with the new silver/gold alloy speaker cables too. Not sure how to go about it though, I am thinking about just getting my own circle here as industry intros only allows one thread and I was just given a short vacation for breaking those rules.  :icon_twisted:

Stercom

« Reply #339 on: 27 Jul 2014, 09:49 pm »
Tom, Yeah... I doubt I can get better sound for the money. I have not experimented with power cables yet... I currently have a couple of my own PCs out for demo and when they return I will try them out. I have PCs using my 14g upocc copper litz wire I use in the SCs you tried out in the tour. My PCs have the same sonic signature as the SCs, so very neutral, clean and dynamic. I have not forgot about the D4 IC I offered to let you try out and I could send you a PC too if you're interested. I will start a D4 IC tour, probably with the new silver/gold alloy speaker cables too. Not sure how to go about it though, I am thinking about just getting my own circle here as industry intros only allows one thread and I was just given a short vacation for breaking those rules.  :icon_twisted:
Hi Dave, glad you're back and that your HAP-Z1ES may work out for you! Would be very interested in hearing this unit with your PC.........