My AVA Amp - No Sound :-(

whell

My AVA Amp - No Sound :-(
« on: 27 May 2015, 01:44 am »
I thought I'd post here before I contacted AVA customer support.  This one has me absolutely mystified.  I have one of these, and it has been working perfectly and sounding great since I bought it in 2013. 

http://avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=226&Itemid=221

Yesterday I went to put on some music and.....nothing.  I did all the diagnostics I could think of: swapped out speaker cables, interconnects, checked fuses for continuity, and still no sound.  I pulled out the amp and replaced it with an older back up Dynaco I have, and the Dynaco played music just fine. 

Nothing has changed here that I'm aware of - no gear changes, power spikes or bad weather.  I've got everything connected to a PS Audio Power Plant anyway. 

Anything I haven't tried that might be helpful? I'm not a tech, so opening the case wouldn't likely be productive in my case. 

Thanks for any thoughts!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: My AVA Amp - No Sound :-(
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2015, 01:54 am »
Call Frank!!  :thumb:

651-330-9871

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2015, 01:56 am »
Does power switch light come on ? If not probably the main fuse. If so, possibly the other circuit fuses. Not all that techy to grab a screwdriver & remove the cover. FIRST & FOREMOST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING UNPLUG THE POWER CHORD. Obvious, maybe, but still.....  Over the years I've had to replace (1) power fuse, and a couple of circuit fuses, in my 250+, 240-3 & FV Ultra 500. If you have the manual it will tell you what fuses are required, if not I'm sure you can download from Frank's site.

Those are the 1st two things that come to my mind. I will say a tiny screwdriver to help pry the fuses out will help. No slack in the fuse holders Frank uses, or maybe it just takes stronger fingers than I've got now.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 27 May 2015, 03:28 am by ArthurDent »

whell

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2015, 02:00 am »
Does power switch light come on ? If not probably the main fuse. If so, possibly the other circuit fuses. Not all that techy to grab a screwdriver & remove the cover. FIRST & FOREMOST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING UNPLUG THE POWER CHORD. Obvious, maybe, but still.....  Over the years I've had to replace (1) power fuse, and a couple of circuit fuses, in my 250+, 240-3 & FV Ultra 500. If you have the manual it will tell you what fuses are required, if not I'm sure you can download from Frank's site.

Those are the 1s two things that come to my mind. I will say a tiny screwdriver to help pry the fuses out will help. No slack in the fuse holders Frank uses, or maybe it just takes stronger fingers than I've got now.  :thumb:

Yes, the power light on the front panel comes on.  I checked the fuses on the back panel.  If I'm reading you right, you're saying that there are other fuses inside the case?

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2015, 02:15 am »
The back panel fuses are on the output and protect your speakers.  Inside are line fuses which protect the amplifier circuits. Did you try replacing your power cord with one known to work? Don't be hesitant to call Frank, but first check out his troubleshooting diagram on his website for further diagnosis.

Yes, the power light on the front panel comes on.  I checked the fuses on the back panel.  If I'm reading you right, you're saying that there are other fuses inside the case?

whell

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2015, 02:18 am »
The back panel fuses are on the output and protect your speakers.  Inside are line fuses which protect the amplifier circuits. Did you try replacing your power cord with one known to work? Don't be hesitant to call Frank, but first check out his troubleshooting diagram on his website for further diagnosis.

On this amp the power cord is hard wired, not replaceable.

Found the 5 internal fuses.  Checked them for continuity and they all checked out OK. 

Sounds like I'll be making a call tomorrow.  :-(

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2015, 02:52 am »
On this amp the power cord is hard wired, not replaceable.

Found the 5 internal fuses.  Checked them for continuity and they all checked out OK. 

Sounds like I'll be making a call tomorrow.  :-(

If you're comfortable performing a continuity test, try an Ohm test. Turn your meter to Ω, or OHMS, and see what you get on each fuse. Each reading should be identical to the reading you get when you touch your bare leads together at the same setting. If you find a difference, the fuse is NFG. Oh, and the fuse shouldn't ever be in the fuse block during these tests.

whell

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2015, 03:11 am »
If you're comfortable performing a continuity test, try an Ohm test. Turn your meter to Ω, or OHMS, and see what you get on each fuse. Each reading should be identical to the reading you get when you touch your bare leads together at the same setting. If you find a difference, the fuse is NFG. Oh, and the fuse shouldn't ever be in the fuse block during these tests.

Ha!  Guess I screwed up the continuity test. :-) I'll retry that and the Ohm test tomorrow.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2015, 03:21 am »
Ha!  Guess I screwed up the continuity test. :-) I'll retry that and the Ohm test tomorrow.

Call Frank first, though.  :thumb:

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2015, 03:38 am »
Each reading should be identical to the reading you get when you touch your bare leads together at the same setting. If you find a difference, the fuse is NFG. Oh, and the fuse shouldn't ever be in the fuse block during these tests.

no nothing wrong with different ohms readings,if there is continuity the fuse is ok
the problem you have i'm guessing is power is absent,but hey leave that to technicians
dont open the amp if you know nothing about electricity

kind regards... :green:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2015, 03:48 am »
no nothing wrong with different ohms readings,if there is continuity the fuse is ok
the problem you have i'm guessing is power is absent,but hey leave that to technicians
dont open the amp if you know nothing about electricity

kind regards... :green:

Silly me. You're so right. :thumb:

avahifi

« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2015, 02:40 pm »
So, as I understand it, the red power lamp in the amplifier turns on.  This means the main AC power supply fuse, and likely the entire power supply is OK.

If you are not sure how to check the fuses, then simply replace them all.  The two external speaker fuses can be 4 ampere quick blow types.  The four internal B+ and B- fuses can be 6 ampere quick blow types.  All are 3AG series fuses.  Since the red power lamp turns on, the main 7 amp slow blow fuse must be good.  If you can't find the fuses locally, we will send you new ones at no charge.

Please call me at 651-330-9871 for more help.  I suspect we know more about the amplifier operation then the helpful members here do and we do take our customer concerns seriously.

What do you mean by "no sound"?  Can you hear the faint background thermal noise from the amplifier when you put your ears near the speakers or is it completely dead (quiet).

This would be very unusual if all the fuses are good.  With a working power supply, one channel or the other should still operate.  I suspect you have blown speaker fuses.

Frank Van Alstine

whell

« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2015, 07:20 pm »
I suspect you have blown speaker fuses.

Frank Van Alstine

Frank - I went back and tested the speaker fuses again.  Sure enough, that's the issue.  Not sure how both became casualties, though I suspect that a conversation with may daughter may be forthcoming.   :roll:  Also, not sure how I missed this the first time. 

Thanks for the offer on the fuses.  I have some fuses here that I can use.  Thanks also for taking the time out to reply, and steer me in the right direction!

avahifi

« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2015, 02:08 pm »
So, did replacing the speaker fuses put your amp back into happily running again?

By the way, Whell, if I had your e-mail address I could send you the rather simple user manual for the amplifier.

Frank

Tom Alverson

« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2015, 02:32 pm »
Frank - I went back and tested the speaker fuses again.  Sure enough, that's the issue.  Not sure how both became casualties, though I suspect that a conversation with may daughter may be forthcoming.   :roll:  Also, not sure how I missed this the first time. 

Thanks for the offer on the fuses.  I have some fuses here that I can use.  Thanks also for taking the time out to reply, and steer me in the right direction!

I put 3 amp speaker fuses in my AVA amp to protect my speakers from the kids cranking things up while I was at work.  Sure enough one day I came home and there was no sound.  None of them said anything and I just put some new 3 amp fuses in the amp and they have never blown for me.   You may need higher amperage fuses if your speakers are lower impedance or if you listen at really high levels.

Tom

whell

« Reply #15 on: 29 May 2015, 02:37 am »
So, did replacing the speaker fuses put your amp back into happily running again?

By the way, Whell, if I had your e-mail address I could send you the rather simple user manual for the amplifier.

Frank

Thanks Frank.  The email is my screen name at yahoo.com.  And yes, the replacement fuses did the trick.  :)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #16 on: 29 May 2015, 06:59 am »
I put 3 amp speaker fuses in my AVA amp to protect my speakers from the kids cranking things up while I was at work.  Sure enough one day I came home and there was no sound.  None of them said anything and I just put some new 3 amp fuses in the amp and they have never blown for me.   You may need higher amperage fuses if your speakers are lower impedance or if you listen at really high levels.

Tom

You're an evil genius.  :thumb: now I wonder how long till the guilty child fesses up.

I never thought to do this, but I'm fairly sure my son isn't into loud music at home, but I could be wrong.

Whell,

I find it amazing and very encouraging that Frank is so very accessible. I have called four or five times for help or to order an amp, and I got to speak with Frank all but one time. (He's allowed to eat every now and then.)

Excellent service, Frank.

Michael

whell

« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2015, 05:50 pm »
You're an evil genius.  :thumb: now I wonder how long till the guilty child fesses up.

I never thought to do this, but I'm fairly sure my son isn't into loud music at home, but I could be wrong.

Whell,

I find it amazing and very encouraging that Frank is so very accessible. I have called four or five times for help or to order an amp, and I got to speak with Frank all but one time. (He's allowed to eat every now and then.)

Excellent service, Frank.

Michael

Agreed.  I remember that when I called to buy the amp from AVA after seeing it on their web site, I was a bit surprised when Frank answered the phone.  Pretty damn cool.

I'm sure Frank doesn't remember this, but a few years back at an AudioKarma Fest I had a "member room".   At the AK Fests, AK members can arrange to have a room to come in, set up their own gear, and share their systems for the weekend with other AK members and Fest visitors.  Apparently Frank was making the rounds and checking out the various rooms at the Fest.  He came in to our room and sat down for a bit.  I was running a small tube amp in the room, but at that moment had another amp running that happened to be solid state.  Frank mentioned he thought the speakers sounded good (the speakers were build by another AK member that had a room next to ours) but thought the amp had "a bit of solid state edge" to it.  I agreed with him, but at that moment convinced myself that it might be wise to consider purchasing one of Frank's amps!   :D